The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Stella wont strike...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gaz_1989 Posted - 12/01/2010 : 10:27:17
Firstly I apologies for poor text, I'm using internet on my phone.

I fed Stella yesterday with forceps for the first time to see if she would strike.

She seemed interested and chased the pinkie around but wouldn't strike.

Should I keep trying? Will some snakes never strike? And how long should I let her chase the pinkie around for before letting her have it?

Thanks,

Gaz

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 13/01/2010 : 02:04:17
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

..... i wiggle the pinkie or fuzz slightly and move it away from them .....

'The pinkie prance' or 'the mousey dance' !!!! Usually works .

xxx
HannahB Posted - 12/01/2010 : 23:30:10
mine will all strike and 9/10 times will coil around it aswell - i wiggle the pinkie or fuzz slightly and move it away from them each time they get near until they get greedy and launch themselves at it which usually doesnt take long!
Flatpack63 Posted - 12/01/2010 : 23:14:55
I've put up a video in the video section of Menthol learning to strike today.
n/a Posted - 12/01/2010 : 22:58:38
my corn baby somtimes strikes and somtimes dosent unlike my ghost corn ssst who is quite a vicious little thing when feeding both times i have feed him ive about jumped out my skin lol but it is amazing to watch
Kellog Posted - 12/01/2010 : 19:40:21
Kellog is 4.5yrs old and a very lazy feeder....he will slither up to dangling mouse and slowly grab it, throw a coil over it as if to say 'this mouse is mine so dont touch' and then he feeds. Have been quite happy with that cos he went 13 weeks without feeding when I first got him, so all I want is for him to eat - but this last feed I held onto the mouse a bit longer and wriggled it a bit more and he sruck, coiled and constricted!! He then got slightly confused and let go, trying to work out what to do next...but he soon worked it out.

Silvesta, on the other hand, is about 3.5yrs old we think and is a serious strike, coil and constrictor....but I think that has more to do with being underfed by his previous owners.

Stella is only young Gaz and is still learning. Just keep offering the pinkie, dangling it for a bit longer further away before you let her have it and she may start to strike when she is ready.

xxx
n/a Posted - 12/01/2010 : 18:22:52
Slinky-T-F-B gets popped in her RUB and then we "poke" the pinkie in- she will circle the RUB once and then Snakes Up To It- pokes it with her nose and then starts to chomp down on it- Ive had her since November and thats her routine!

Im not fussed as to whether or not she strikes/constricts- just as long as she eats-keeps it down (which she has Touch Wood!) and is happy and healthy!

xXx
Flatpack63 Posted - 12/01/2010 : 18:03:29
Rizla, my three year old male, is a really aggressive strike feeder and constrictor, but Menthol has only just started (After two months of trying). She is trying but is a little feeble at the moment (Bless her). No sign of any constricting yet but she is only about 7 months old. lol
SexyBear77 Posted - 12/01/2010 : 17:50:40
Casper, 7, strikes like a demon. Mushu, 3 and a half, wont even bother looking at it for a good 10 minutes. Diego isn't eating atm so I dont know what he's like.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 12/01/2010 : 13:47:23
I guess different snakes just take it differently. Maybe she will start striking when shes older, when the mice get bigger she may feel more of a need.

Everytime i feed my casper she strikes, although i think she just likes striking since shes got me a few times and now i am the only person who can put their hand in her faun other wise she just goes straight into a striking possition. My mum says i've got an evil snake but shes just jealous, none the less shes stopped striking at me so its progress none the less.
Paul Hume Posted - 12/01/2010 : 13:36:26
Tiny will strike when she can be bothered, and constrict when the mood really takes her but allot of the time she doesnt. I've only fed Snowy twice and she has struck both times.

Different snakes just act differently I supose.
n/a Posted - 12/01/2010 : 12:59:53
my hatchling doesn't strike, just grabs at it on the floor of the rub.
lmfastcars Posted - 12/01/2010 : 10:59:43
after fluffy shed he made no attempt at all to strike but he usually does so maybe they do it when they feel like it
Twi Posted - 12/01/2010 : 10:50:13
Mouse and other hatchling (really need name for that one lol) dont strike they just follow it and pick it up. Ginger only strikes when shes gone a couple of weeks without a feed otherwise she doesn't strike either, usually just reaching out and grabbing mouse from me
Tizzy Posted - 12/01/2010 : 10:42:25
Some corns just don't strike, it's nothing to worry about but stella is still young, she may strike when she's bigger.
n/a Posted - 12/01/2010 : 10:35:24
i think some snakes just never strike, Stella may be one of those but she may not be either lol so you could keep trying to get a strike out of her if you like

could be completley wrong here but, i think as they get older they have more of an interest to strike and perhaps constrict, but again im not %100 sure on that one
let her chase the pinky round for a few minutes, can be classed at exercise then anddd, it might get her fired up

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000