The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Handling and morphs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 12/01/2010 : 08:48:14
I'm thinking of getting a corn snake and I was wondering how often a baby corn snake could/should be handled?

Also, and this may seem shamefully ignorant, how long can a snake be out of the viv for? I've seen posts mentioning letting them climb the stairs and even about going to the shops with one, but wasn't entirely sure.

I live in Nottingham and travel down to London on occasion (it's a three hour journey). Would I be able to take my snake with me? How should snakes be transported?

And, finally, how rare are Anery Phantoms and Anery Lavenders, and how expensive are they?

http://iansvivarium.com/morphguide/aneryphantom/
http://iansvivarium.com/morphguide/anerylavender/

Does anyone here have either of these types?

Thanks!
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Blackecho Posted - 13/01/2010 : 19:34:51
Mine get handled about once a week.
eeji Posted - 13/01/2010 : 18:51:32
my babies don't get handled at all, except for a quick pick up when they're getting cleaned out (probably less than a minute each one)
Kellog Posted - 12/01/2010 : 20:29:43
HannahB has covered most of it already. Any snake you get you need to leave for a week without handling or feeding to give it time to recover from the stress of the move and to get used to its new environment. During that time all you should do is change the water daily and straighten the substrate, removing any poo found. This means you are leaving your scent in the viv for the snake to get used to.

When you do begin to handle it does take awhile for it to get used to being touched and it takes awhile for you to get used to handling it. It really is a case of being very patient, calm and gentle. You do start out with a few minutes and respond according to the snake's behaviour. If it is getting stressed return it to the viv and try again later. I handle mine twice a day and have just taken on a new snake - Silvesta - who is approx 3.5yrs old. His previous owner definitely didnt handle him enough or properly (he was only handled every 3 days and with a glove). When we got him he was very fiesty, going into strike mode whenever you got near him and hiding away all the time. But I gave him the settling in period and then started handling him for a few minutes twice a day (except for the 48hrs after feeding). To begin with he was a handful and could only take about 5 mins before getting very stressed. I have had him now for just under a month and I can now handle him for 15 mins easily, although he is still very fast and I have to keep a good hold on him....given the chance he would be off like a shot.

My other snake, Kellog, is 4.5yrs old and I get him out twice a day for about 30mins. It is hard not keeping him out for longer, especially when he fights when you try and put him back in the viv....but I know it is best not to handle him for too long and I know I will have him out again later in the day or the next morning. It is the days after a feed that is hardest when you cant handle them....I miss it!!!

Remember that hopefully you will have years and years ahead of you to handle your snake, so quality is better than quantity.

Taken them out of the house is definitely a no-no. You should only move them if you have to and then be careful how you do it...in the ways that HannahB suggested. They are not like dogs, to be taken out and shown off. They require special care and shouldnt be carted about like an 'accessory'. I am glad you feel the same.

Cant help you with the price of the morphs I am afraid, but I am sure someone will be able to.

xxx
n/a Posted - 12/01/2010 : 09:15:36
God, only half an hour? That seems like a short amount of time, although I suppose I'm used to Bollywood, my fat, lazy cat who has resorted to attacking my face when I stop petting him.

Oh, god, no, I would never take my snake to the shops. There's just no need. I was just really shocked because, as you say, the weather can be so cold and there's such an emphasis on having a perfect tank temperature. It seemed incongruous that people could wander around with them outside. Maybe whoever posted was from warmer climates.

I'm in Beeston (at University). Thank you so much for the reply :). I'd be so excited if I managed to find one of those kinds. I thought the ones in the shops were beautiful, but those two are just spectacular.
HannahB Posted - 12/01/2010 : 09:01:16
hey and welcome

ooooh notts? where abouts? me and Lucifer are based in Mapperley/Gedling area

as a general guidance rule hatchlings have to be left for a week and generally its recommended to only handle for 5-10mins once a dey EXCEPT after feeding when its essential to leave for 48hours to avoid any regurges or similar issues, as they grow older you can increase it slowly - most of the fully grown corns (2yeaars plus) on here get about 30mins a day i think,
as for taking out to the shops please dont.. its not kind to the snake - they arent used to the outside temps we live in and its way to cold, plus not everyone out there likes snakes - at least dogs ect you can see coming and avoid in plenty of time!

Ive bought back two royals on the National Express bus from sheffield to notts before - one was in a pillow case and the other in a box with padding to keep them warm. I was rehoming them and the bus unfortunately was my only way of travel, its not as long as a three hour journey though, do you travel by car or bus? and how long do you go for?
if you go for long periods then you can empty out the faun and put the snake in a small tub in a pillowcase or similar, if its only for a day or two then snakey will be fine left at home with someone who can change the water daily for you or every other day if need be..

i think anerly lavenders are more common than anery phantoms but i wouldnt be able to give you any idea on prices, i have a lavender and the anery lavs are very appealing although i just dont have space at the moment for any more

oh this should also help you out - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm
its got all the info you need about corns but if you do have any other questions then feel free to ask

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000