The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 probes in fauns

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
reptiledanny Posted - 11/01/2010 : 16:27:22
how do you get the thermometer probe in the faunarium. the wholes at the back are to small and i can't find any other way.
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LittleMick Posted - 12/01/2010 : 22:33:49
I'll have to see about getting them themometers that Backecho supplied the link for, I think they are pretty nifty.
reptiledanny Posted - 12/01/2010 : 17:35:41
i think someone sed about putting the whole thermometer in the tank, will do that. how big is the doulbe probe thing that hannah showed me. is the screen really big?

wat i meant by cheaper to buy them seperatly wa sthrough ebay. i can spend 3.50 inc postoage for 1. new. so for 2 7. they were 8. plus then you had two screens and can move the screens about.

bsmogg, new snake, wat morph, pics soon plz.
Kellog Posted - 12/01/2010 : 05:46:39
quote:
Originally posted by bbsmog

....... I'm also expecting another to arrive tomorrow (to pop in the viv that I've spent today making warm and snuggly for another corn snake that arrives tomorrow evening.).

Trust me ReptileDanny, that link will save you money in the long run!! xx

*running from the thread before anyone realises what I just admitted to *

Think all your questions have been answered by those who know best Danny, so dont have anything to add .

But Smoggy....how could you think we would miss what you just admitted! Another one?? Same questions as HannahB - what, when, where, age, size, morph..... How do you get away with getting more (jealous)!! Think the word ADDICTION is raising its head very seriously. Maybe an intervention is required to save you from this and the best solution is for Cinco, Sadie, Snuggles and the new one to be sent to new homes (like mine) - for your own good of course!!

xxx
Blackecho Posted - 11/01/2010 : 23:05:18
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

good question!!
i will have a look - got a feeling it was ebay but ooooh found it!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lucky-Reptile-Thermometer-Delux-Digital-LTH-31_W0QQitemZ260431510214QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects?hash=item3ca2ed7ac6

bit more expensive than others but really worth it, its so much easier to have one screen but the ability to see both temps and the time lol

These are what I use.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dual-Zone-Thermometer-Alarm-Snake-Vivarium-Reptiles_W0QQitemZ400083016957QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects?hash=item5d26ce5cfd

Two probes, two temperatures and you can set tolerances for alarms at each end.
HannahB Posted - 11/01/2010 : 22:58:59
LM - I do knock up the temp on the stat - i have two thermometers and i make sure that its the aspen thats the right temp - i have noticed that the mat needs to be a few degrees higher than desired simply because of the heat lost in the transfer through the plastic faun

ooooh bbsmog... A NEW SNAKE!?!?!?
what where when how... what morph?!?!?! so many questions lol
n/a Posted - 11/01/2010 : 22:53:20
quote:
QUICK QUESTION HANNAH - I presume yo are knowcking the dial up a atad on the stat to get the proper temperature in the faun? Seeings the stat is BELOW the substrate AND the faun directly on the mat.

I can't speak for Hannah (although I am highly confident that she knows what she's doing), but I think most of us have to knock up the stat setting to achieve the correct temps. That's why we trust the thermometer and not the stat. You should adjust the stat according to the readings on your thermometer for precicely the reason you stated above. Or am I doing something wrong? xxx

edit for spelling
n/a Posted - 11/01/2010 : 22:47:49
quote:
it might be a bit cheaper to buy two for me, but might consider getting one of them.

When I was setting up my first faun for Cinco I originally brought 2 single probe digital thermometers at £7.99 each from my local rep shop. (so near enough £16).

Like Hannah, I saw these double probes on Ebay and realised they cost the same price as my single. I've since acquired 3 more snakes and have so far saved myself £24.00. I'm also expecting another to arrive tomorrow (to pop in the viv that I've spent today making warm and snuggly for another corn snake that arrives tomorrow evening.).

Trust me ReptileDanny, that link will save you money in the long run!! xx

*running from the thread before anyone realises what I just admitted to *

LittleMick Posted - 11/01/2010 : 22:36:42
Well most of it has been covered, but all I did was using a drill bit the same diameter as the stat prob and drill a hole in the same end the mat was under, then wrapped paper towel rond the stat cable to plug up the hole. Be careful when drilling though and make sure you drill at the right end, lol, like a plumb I went and drill th ehole at the big hatch end and this is the end I put the cool hide and water dish, lol, DUH! I like Hannah's idea though, putting the probe between the faun and the mat.QUICK QUESTION HANNAH - I presume yo are knowcking the dial up a atad on the stat to get the proper temperature in the faun? Seeings the stat is BELOW the substrate AND the faun directly on the mat.

reptiledanny - The thermometer prbe shoud be small enough to just put through one of the little holes as they are.
reptiledanny Posted - 11/01/2010 : 19:07:47
it might be a bit cheaper to buy two for me, but might consider getting one of them.
HannahB Posted - 11/01/2010 : 18:48:28
good question!!
i will have a look - got a feeling it was ebay but ooooh found it!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lucky-Reptile-Thermometer-Delux-Digital-LTH-31_W0QQitemZ260431510214QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects?hash=item3ca2ed7ac6

bit more expensive than others but really worth it, its so much easier to have one screen but the ability to see both temps and the time lol
reptiledanny Posted - 11/01/2010 : 18:33:55
good idea, where did you get a two headed probe?
HannahB Posted - 11/01/2010 : 18:31:52
put the whole thing in the faun - iv got one with two probes..the hot probe is under the warm hide on the substrate and the cold one is under the cold hide but the main 'body' of the thermometer is in the cool end - ive left one of the wires wrapped up how it came and the other is buried under the substrate with the screen up against the glass so that i can see it easily when having a quick glace before i go to bed
reptiledanny Posted - 11/01/2010 : 18:24:16
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

put the stat probe inbetween the mat and the faun..then put the temp probe on the substrate in the faun

i have the stat probe on the mat but don't know how to get the temp probe in the faun on the substrate.
devilsmistress Posted - 11/01/2010 : 18:21:46
What i done in one of my faun's was cut the plastic, put the temp probe in then used a glue gun to seal the hole. While the glue was drying I kept moving the cable to the frow so when the glue dried I could still move the cable if needed. Then when they upgraded, I just used a knife to cut the glue and removed it off the faun and cable!
HannahB Posted - 11/01/2010 : 18:15:05
put the stat probe inbetween the mat and the faun..then put the temp probe on the substrate in the faun
kizzig Posted - 11/01/2010 : 16:49:54
You have to "enlarge" the holes slightly... We used a screwdriver to widen the hole just enough for the probe. You may want to cover the hole on the outside just in case the hole is large enough for any escapees! We don't have anything covering the enlarged hole as Ziggy's head is far too big to get through.
danbaylis35 Posted - 11/01/2010 : 16:49:12
lol be careful u do i snapped a lil bit off the lid to poke it through,then he escaped lol

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000