The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Snake cave

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 09/01/2010 : 22:10:18
I have just ordered an exo terra snake cave with sphagnam moss to help my snow Luna to shed. She is currently in her 2nd shed with me and its worse than the last Its coming off in small shreds. I have sprayed her and will bath her tomorrow if she needs it. I was wondering how to use the snake cave? Do I keep the moss damp all the time or is this bad for her? because she's a snow I can't tell when shes going to shed as her colours dont change and her eyes stay red. Does anyone else have a problem shedder? any ideas how else i can help her? She very rarely moves around her viv and mostly stays in her hot hide, could this be why she doesnt shed well? The temps are correct and the heat mat is controlled by a thermostat and measured by a digital thermometer. Please help guys I hate seein her like this
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 10/01/2010 : 21:22:08
exactly as DB said above - prolonged exposure to higher humidity can cause health problems such as RIs and scale rot.
ideally put the damp hide in when you notice your snake is in blue, and if necessary remove the usual hide to make sure the snake uses the damp one. then simply remove the damp hide and replace it with your snake's usual hide when the shedding process is complete.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 10/01/2010 : 14:12:46
Corn snakes can have respiratory problems and keeping the moss wet all the time could affect this as it may raise the humidity. I would wait for one of the more experienced members to come along and see what they say aswell. I have recently ordered a snake cave so i would like to see what they say but i just planned on dampening it a little when Casper is ready to shed and keeping it dry the rest of the time.
n/a Posted - 10/01/2010 : 07:17:49
I've noticed that my corn uses the "snake cave" like a warm soaking bath. She loves to just stay there whether she is shedding or not. Sometimes she comes out and hides under her log,but she loves her warm bath. I've left a warm moss bath pot in her viv ever since I got her. She has had no problems with that for the last twelve months.
quote:
Originally posted by Nit Nat Noo

I have just ordered an exo terra snake cave with sphagnam moss to help my snow Luna to shed. She is currently in her 2nd shed with me and its worse than the last Its coming off in small shreds. I have sprayed her and will bath her tomorrow if she needs it. I was wondering how to use the snake cave? Do I keep the moss damp all the time or is this bad for her? because she's a snow I can't tell when shes going to shed as her colours dont change and her eyes stay red. Does anyone else have a problem shedder? any ideas how else i can help her? She very rarely moves around her viv and mostly stays in her hot hide, could this be why she doesnt shed well? The temps are correct and the heat mat is controlled by a thermostat and measured by a digital thermometer. Please help guys I hate seein her like this

LittleMick Posted - 10/01/2010 : 05:51:54
I have only had one shed with Elijah so far. But with my Elle (Leopard Gecko) I keep the moss in her hide damp all the time, and she uses it when she wants to. I also keep it half on the heat mat and half off, for the reason being, if it stays on the cool side she may not use it if she ikes being warm. And if it stays on the warm side fully then it dries out too quickly. When I dampen it as well I do so with boiling water then sprinkle with a little cool water (so's not to burn), this way it already nice and snug for her.

Again not too sure of the best for snakeys yet. If you do put it half on the mat or in the warm side don't forget this raises the humidity of the enclosure and Corns apparently are prone to RI if the environment is too humid. So only put the hide in during a shed.
Stumpy Posted - 09/01/2010 : 23:20:52
Some snakes do shed like this others shed in one piece. Just make sure there is no shed left on the body by letting her wriggle through a towel and checking she is smooth.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000