The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Do they need another hands off period?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
devilsmistress Posted - 06/01/2010 : 00:12:19
Ok so hopefully on Sunday Missy will be going into a 24x12 fish tank as she has reached 2 foot already!! She's only 6 months old!!! So Karma will be going into Missys 18 x 12 as she is out growing her little viv.
When I move them there plants will be going with them and I was going to mix there substrate thats in there viv's with a bit of fresh so they still have smells they know. (so Missys into the 24 inch tank with some fresh stuff and Karmas into the 18 inch plus some fresh)
Will they need a week no handeling as they already know the smells of the flat and my smell. Or do they only need a few days?

Thanks
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 09/01/2010 : 19:10:40
quote:
Originally posted by devilsmistress

Actually Kellog thats a great idea!

quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

Judith it's all good advice hun

Thanks guys, just worry that my malfunctioning brain doesnt make sense sometimes and would hate to give wrong advice....although I do think long and hard before I post.

xxx
gingerpony Posted - 09/01/2010 : 16:38:54
Judith it's all good advice hun

i buy my mice and rats in bulk then re-grade them by weight cos i have too much time on my hands so i have a pretty good idea what i'm feeding
devilsmistress Posted - 09/01/2010 : 08:03:35
Actually Kellog thats a great idea! I have been going by size of bump!, but yea next time im in town ill grab a few of each size and have a weigh up. It just did not seem right to me that at 6 months old she would be on small mice already!
Kellog Posted - 09/01/2010 : 04:49:59
Have you tried weighing the large fuzzies, hoppers and small mice? Think they are named differently in shops so sometimes better to go by weight. Silvesta is actually eating same weight of mouse as Kellog , just in 2 bites and weekly rather than every 10 days.

Be interested for you to weigh the 2 hoppers and compare it with weight of small mouse. If weight is slightly less than small mouse then maybe she is ready to try a small mouse.

Does any of this make sense, cos it isnt really to me but I know what I am trying to say!

Sorry if it is bad/unhelpful advice.

xxx
devilsmistress Posted - 08/01/2010 : 14:42:49
Nothing to lose at all! So im guessing the longer the better then? I just cant believe Missy is 2 foot long already! she is only 6 months!!
Another little thing while your about GP. If I give missy 2 large fuzzys she has a bump. If I give her a hopper no bump, Should I try her on a small mouse? Or will this be to big? I tried her on 2 hoppers and the bump was HUGE!!! So Im just confused as to what to do about her feeds.
gingerpony Posted - 08/01/2010 : 14:14:54
i'd give it a week........what have you got to lose?
Kellog Posted - 07/01/2010 : 04:10:31
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

Good plan DM

I keep agreeing with you Hillzi....it is getting quite worrying!!

Knew you probably had the covering side 'covered'...if that makes sense , but always worth mentioning!

Just go by your instincts on your snakes behaviour DM, you know them best ...and the few days settling in certainly sounds the right way to go.

xxx
hillzi Posted - 06/01/2010 : 12:33:10
Good plan DM
devilsmistress Posted - 06/01/2010 : 12:25:20
Ill give them both a few days I think, to settle see how they go.
Kellog as for covering 3 sides of the glass tanks, I have painted them on the outside! Its acrillic paint and as soon as I find a backing I like I will wash it off and put the backing on.
Thanks for the opinions guys.
hillzi Posted - 06/01/2010 : 12:22:38
I'd give them a few days personally. Well raised points Matty, Judith and Hawk.
n/a Posted - 06/01/2010 : 11:24:39

Different opinion here: the idea of the hands-off period is not only about getting used to new surroundings, but to let them get used to the new scent of a new owner, which they do by smelling your hand when you change the water, or by leaving a garment in their viv.

Snakes that are only moved to a new viv don't need to get used to the same ownder all over again. In fact, the ownder's scent is already something familiar and "safe" for them, so I see no reason why not allow them to come out for a period of feeling totally safe in the hands of someone they already know and feel safe with. Possibly, this could even help them settle in, seeing that the rest of their routine hasn't changed.

matty18714 Posted - 06/01/2010 : 08:38:05
As Kellog said, I would just give them a few days, but as always, the longer you can give them without human interaction the better!
Kellog Posted - 06/01/2010 : 02:44:21
You know I am not majorly experienced DM, but I would think that 3 or 4 days would be enough for a settling in period...especially as you are moving parts of their old home with them (the moving of the substrate is a great idea). You know your snakes well enough by now, go by their behaviour and see how they react. If they are hiding away more than usual then leave them longer, if they are behaving normally then get them out and have fun!!

(Am assuming you will be covering 3 sides of Missy's fish tank so she will feel safer...yes, I know I am probably telling you stuff you already know!!)

So glad they are both doing well and obviously thriving under your care!

xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000