The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Feeding ;)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lilpunk Posted - 05/01/2010 : 21:17:14
Just fed Dimi, and she looks quite stuffed. Fed one medium and one very small pinky. She's now 19" and about 14-16g in weight, what should I be feeding her and how often? I mean, the medium pinky made a reasonable bulge but the small was merely a tiny tiny bump. Should I feed one medium every week, or every five days??? I usually feed her every week, and she's awlways looking for more, poking her little snout out when I come close to see if I have food.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lilpunk Posted - 06/01/2010 : 06:17:29
Thanks Stumpy, and thankyou Kellog for that vast insight! I will now be feeding every five days to see if I can better suit Dimika's needs, however I won't be rushing into anything so if anyone has any more advice it would be more than welcome.
Kellog Posted - 06/01/2010 : 03:07:08
Hey Lil. I hope this is some help but please do bear in mind that it is just a guide. I have taken to weighing the mice I feed to Kellog and Silvesta so I know what they are consuming rather than just the given name for the mouse size. Although Silvesta is feeding once a week on 2 medium mice he is actually eating the same weight in mice as Kellog, who is being fed one jumbo mouse once every 10 days. But this is necessary cos he is younger than Kellog and not large enough to move up in size yet.

Mouse feeding guide:

1 Pinkie (2-3g) every 5-6 days (Snake = 4-15g)
2 Pinkies (3-4g) every 5-6 days (Snake = 16-23g)
Small Fuzzy (5-7g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 24-30g)
Fuzzy (7-9g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
Fluff/Hoppers (9-12g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
Small Adult/Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
Adult (20-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)

To give you an idea of what they look like - http://www.canberraexotics.com.au/admin/photos/frozen%20mouse%20chart.jpg

The guide for feeding is 1.5 times the width of the snake, thats a maximum size.

You can work out if your snake needs to move up in size when there is no longer a bump once they have eated their 'dinner'.

I think Stumpy is right about trying to feed Dimika 1 medium pinkie every 5 days. Once a week may be too long a wait for her. Remember that snakes are opportunistic feeders...in the wild they will never know when or where they are getting their next meal and they are the same in captivity, so given the chance they will overfeed and it is up to us to make sure this doesnt happen, no matter how hungry they may look!

xxx

Stumpy Posted - 05/01/2010 : 22:58:02
Try feeding every five days.
One medium should be fine, as soon as the bulge left by the food leaves little bulge then move up one size.
If it is too big she will not try to eat it but I find that the more often they eat the smaller ones the more likely they will eat a larger one.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000