The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Can snakes be conditioned?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SexyBear77 Posted - 05/01/2010 : 17:45:09
I usually warm up my snakes food with a hair dryer that I borrow off my mum. The smell of the warm mouse is usually enough to bring the very lazy Casper out of hiding, when he then just sits and watches me till its time to eat.

For Xmas I got my very own hairdryer which I decided to use tonight to dry my hair, like its supposed to. I NEVER hairdry my hair, but I had to because I'm going for a walk in the snow soon and don't want my wet hair to freeze.

The hairdryer is (obviously) new, so no smell of mouse could be lingering on it, and there are no mice in the room. I havent seen Casper for about 4 days, but the minute I turned on the hairdryer, out he came. He is still sat there now.

Has he learnt that the dryer means food, or is it just a coincidence? I didn't think snakes were that intelligent.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hillzi Posted - 05/01/2010 : 22:36:51
Mine don't tend to react to anything going on in the house (besides feeding) although, they do like the noise the shower makes.
LittleMick Posted - 05/01/2010 : 20:42:36
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

make sure you shampoo him before conditioning :O

Everytime time I read posts from you I keep pmsl, are you ever serious? You'll have to stop joking else when you post something serious I will end up making a joke out of it.

Anyway, back to the topic, serios head on now , but yeah I think any animal can be conditioned, when I shake my seed tub my Gerbils know they are in for a treat and hang about the cage door, even my fish know that when I lift the tank hood up it's food time, lol.
reptiledanny Posted - 05/01/2010 : 20:30:52
month used to come out and say hello wen you taped on the once and then waved. we you tapped on the glass he would stick his hed owt and then wen you waved he would come out completly and want out, most of the time i let him out, handling of course, i think thats y he got used to it.
matty18714 Posted - 05/01/2010 : 20:08:09
Yes, I think snakes can be conditioned and alot of it happens without us noticing. Thats why people advise feeding out of the viv. Look into "Tap training" of large constrictors for another example.
SexyBear77 Posted - 05/01/2010 : 19:53:00
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Mine come out when they hear the hoover too.

Lol, maybe they find the tube attractive...
DannyBrown91 Posted - 05/01/2010 : 19:50:55
I would say the snake has be calssicly conditioned, snakes may not be the most inteligent animals but the can still make links between things such as sound and smell with food.
Blackecho Posted - 05/01/2010 : 19:36:36
Mine come out when they hear the hoover too.
eeji Posted - 05/01/2010 : 19:32:31
make sure you shampoo him before conditioning :O
hillzi Posted - 05/01/2010 : 18:00:08
Oohh conincidence..

SexyBear77 Posted - 05/01/2010 : 17:55:43
Good plan Chimp.

Only problem is he's still out giving me the evil eye because he's expecting his food and I've not given him any.
Chimp276 Posted - 05/01/2010 : 17:52:09
Sounds like conditioning lol! Only way to find out is wait till he hides again then turn on the hair dryer to see if he comes out again lol!!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000