The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 I was thinking about a live pinkie feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 02/01/2010 : 16:45:38
I have been in the mood to see how a snake eats a live pinkie. I'm a little worried though as I have never fed Caius a live one before. Do they constrict them or eat them whole like the thawed pinkie? Would I just drop the little pink in with him or hold him with the clamps head first? I am afraid he would just swallow the pinkie and it would be alive in his throat just squirming around! After he moves out of the pinkie stage I probably won't feed him live as I don't want him to get injured. But I thought it might be cool to see it once. I also own pet rats which I adore so I might not find it very cool.... but I thought I might try it just this once out of curiosity. Please educate me my friends.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hillzi Posted - 03/01/2010 : 18:55:43
Hey don't worry about it, Piers summed it up well.

I certaintly dont look at you with the 'tard' look that you said.

Now had you just gone ahead and live fed...
Sammysnake Posted - 03/01/2010 : 17:59:47
My 'look' involves my eyebrow being raised and it's usually used on my best friend Andy. He's been in South Africa for a few months but apparently could still hear/sense/feel the force of the 'eyebrow' even from there
n/a Posted - 03/01/2010 : 16:39:56
Yeah I kinda douched it hard with this bright idea. Even if I didn't have you guys, my wife would of never let me done it. When I brought up the idea she gave me that look. You know the LOOK. That your a retard look. That I'll smack you silly look...I unfortunatly know the look all to well:( And although I can only see your posts. I couldn't help but somehow feel that look from all of you. lmfao
gingerpony Posted - 03/01/2010 : 14:35:40
lmfao i've made some of the biggest c0ck-ups with my life but i know the right thing to do with cornsnakes
n/a Posted - 03/01/2010 : 14:25:53
I just wish I had some people like you around half of my life when I didn't make the best decisions.
gingerpony Posted - 03/01/2010 : 14:23:41
quote:
Originally posted by ghostmike

Right after I posted my statement I looked on you-tube and was very put off. I couldn't watch the whole thing. I don't have the best stomach...

that's you tube is for hun lol
Blackecho Posted - 03/01/2010 : 12:31:00
Well done everyone (especially ghostmike) good thread that stayed on track and only facts and ended in a good decision
Kellog Posted - 03/01/2010 : 06:58:34
Its the great thing about this forum Mike, you can post a topic like you did (although maybe you could have done a bit more research into it before you did!) and you get a response that informs and guides you...but doesnt attack you or flame you! We do try and keep it that way!

xxx
n/a Posted - 03/01/2010 : 05:44:45
bbsmog. No not at all. I appreciate all the concern that came with the responses. I really didn't realise the harm and struggle the little pinkie would go through. Not to mention how stressful it would be on my boy Caius. I just really didn't think it through. I guess its kinda like me, after a week of not eating, being put in the room with a live chicken... Not cool for anybody involved.
n/a Posted - 03/01/2010 : 01:28:30
Hi GM, I'm really really sorry if it felt like I'd flamed you. It wasn't my intention at all I was just concerned and wanted to make sure that you understood the implications of trying live feeding.

Best wishes (and happy defrosting!) xxxx

*edited for flippin' awful spelling
n/a Posted - 03/01/2010 : 01:24:11
Thanks for the opinions everyone. Right after I posted my statement I looked on you-tube and was very put off. I couldn't watch the whole thing. I don't have the best stomach and really have the highest regard for all animal life. I guess it was more out of curiosity to see how corns in the wild would feed. I've actually been considering buying a royal python at some point and have decided that if it dosen't eat thawed I'd have to return him. To tell truth I'm a little embrassed now to not have done my reasearch before igniting such a fire. I love and appreciate all the replies and how strongly against this everyone is. I will definatly take the majorities advice and stick with what has always worked during feeding. This is the reason I love to be a part of such a great group of people. Thanks again!!!
n/a Posted - 03/01/2010 : 01:14:56
Hi.

Forgive me for jumping in here and I could be way off base (and if that's the case then Sorry in advance) BUT it's my understanding that the law, as it currently stands in this country is that whilst live feeding is not unlawful, it should be regarded as a 'last resort' for a snake that is UNABLE to feed otherwise. This should come a long way down the list of 'things to try' when your snake has refused all other methods of feeding.

If your reason is simply
quote:
I have been in the mood to see how a snake eats a live pinkie.
then you'd better start thinking about how you're going to explain it to the RSPCA as I'm fairly sure that motivation would be regarded as unnecessarily cruel to both pinkie and snake.

xx
eeji Posted - 03/01/2010 : 01:10:28
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

try you tube!!

You took the words from my fingertips! :D If you're corn it taking F/T then if it ain't broke, don't fix it
gingerpony Posted - 02/01/2010 : 21:38:00
quote:

i've HAD to live feed in the past, it's NOT as quick as you think.......

and i'd like to point out that was for a young boa that had eaten 4 times in a whole year and was having rapid weight loss and i DID genuinely think he was going to die if i didn't give it a go.

and i'm happy to say he's now on frozen/thawed rat weaners
Kehhlyr Posted - 02/01/2010 : 21:09:17
Live feeding is a very grey area in most ways.

As it's been said above, there are a lot of reasons why you shouldn't.
The most important one is that because you would be live feeding because you'd want to see it, then it's classed as entertainment.
Live feeding for entertainment is cruel AND more importantly illegal.

Live feeding to ensure the survival of a snake is not.

I have a snake that has not eaten properly since it hatched in August, it's down to 4grams now and is about the thickness of a standard USB cable. Yet I have not considered live feeding for that, but if it was to ever come to it, I would be doing it under the supervision of a vet or highly experienced herpetologist and it would be purely to make sure the snake lives, nothing more.

The way I look at it, is there really a huge amount of difference to seeing a live pinky being fed or a frozen/thawed one?
They are both small pink mice that get eaten, just wiggle the pinky with your tweezers if you want to see how the snake will react to it.
Stumpy Posted - 02/01/2010 : 20:56:02
I fed live once when I was having problems with Sid not eating for three months I supervised him and he killed and ate the mouse not needed to since.
hillzi Posted - 02/01/2010 : 20:40:39
Americans feed live for entertainment, you'll find many are American regarding the live feed video's.

wer'e not american and we don't.. erm 'approve' of their method's.

reptiledanny Posted - 02/01/2010 : 18:21:44
it will only be for your benefit, the snake doesn't need to eat live, like someone else sed, if you want to watch something live get eaten try youtube.
gingerpony Posted - 02/01/2010 : 17:40:59
and the bigger they live prey item the more damage it can potentially do to your snake.........have you seen a rodent's scary teeth?
matty18714 Posted - 02/01/2010 : 17:40:40
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

The snake will eat it alive. Frankly there is almost no differance in how a corn will eat a live pinkie or a dead one.

except the stress the pinkie will go through being separated from its mum and siblings and then being slowly crushed.........

i've HAD to live feed in the past, it's NOT as quick as you think.......

Im with you. There is no point live feeding unless its needed. My point was that if hes after something to watch, a little corn eating a live pinkie looks the same as it eating a dead one except it moves a bit more.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000