The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 thermostats

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
reptiledanny Posted - 01/01/2010 : 13:46:19
how do you get the probe on the thermostat in a plastic faunarium. i have just bought a plastic faunarium again and put the heat mat underneath. the temp reads on a digital thermometer 37. well to high. i am going to put my thermostat on it. on my thermostat it has the plug to put your heat mat in, the plug to plug it in and the heat sensor. how do you get the heat sensor in the plastic faunarium?
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kdlang Posted - 01/01/2010 : 21:09:38
Thanks for that. None of the photos of stats that I had looked at showed what the ends of all the cables looked like and I couldnt figure out how the stat plugged into the heat mat.
n/a Posted - 01/01/2010 : 20:27:04
The stat will look like a plastic box, with a dial on the from the will be 3 cables coming the box.

1. a plug to go into the electrical socket on the wall.
2. a cable with a socket coming from the stat - this is where you plug your heat mat into.
3. a cable with a probe on the end, the probe is placed on the heat mat to regulate the temperature

so you basically plug the heat mat into the stat, then plug your stat into to the wall, and place the probe on the heat
mat.

Just note that the gauge on the front of the stat doesn’t always correspond with the temperature you want, so make sure you use a thermometer to get your temps, you may have to up or down on the stat to get the temp you want
kdlang Posted - 01/01/2010 : 19:55:20
Thanks for the info. I am also interested in the info about stats as I need to get one. The only thing i am confused about is how you link everything up? How do you connect up the stat, thermometer and heat mat?
Blackecho Posted - 01/01/2010 : 18:14:51
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1675&SearchTerms=stat

^^That is worth reading through too.
Blackecho Posted - 01/01/2010 : 18:11:32
PP and dimming stats are more accurate than on/off stats, dimming being the most accurate.

PP stats can be used with mats and ceramics, but not light-emitting bulbs.

Dimming stats can be used with bulbs and ceramics and Microclimate ones are ok for most heat mats too. Habistat dimmers have a minimum load of 40W though, which is higher than most heat mats.
n/a Posted - 01/01/2010 : 17:52:40
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

it is like the micro ones. it needs a screw driver to move it. it says on/off. i am thinking about getting one of the habistat ones if i find a cheapish one on ebay. what one cuz i now there are loads, pulse or on/off etc.

as mentioned the on/off you have will be fine if you haven’t got cash to splash out

but if you have some spare cash a habitats pulse proportional stat is the way to go imo, they give a more even consistent temperature, something to look into for the future. Not sure how cheap you will pick them up.

http://www.habistat.net/ that’s the one I have.

have a look around their site, plenty of good info, help ya decide which is the best stat for your needs

reptiledanny Posted - 01/01/2010 : 17:50:02
which one, the mat stat or the temp stat, for a heat mat
reptiledanny Posted - 01/01/2010 : 17:43:15
it is like the micro ones. it needs a screw driver to move it. it says on/off. i am thinking about getting one of the habistat ones if i find a cheapish one on ebay. what one cuz i now there are loads, pulse or on/off etc.
n/a Posted - 01/01/2010 : 17:19:38
I’m sure your cobra stat will be fine. I've seen cobra ministats in stores and they all look quite good.

what dose it say on the front of the stat you already have?

my dimmer & pulse proportional stat are from habitstat, they have a dial on the front that you can turn quite easily, I recommend them if you are upgrading.

The on/off stats that I have are from Microclimate, quite good too, but you need a slot head screwdriver to adjust the temperature dial, I think these might be similar to the cobrastats???

The most basic on/off stat is fine for a single heat mat
eeji Posted - 01/01/2010 : 17:10:41
for the temperature setting, totally ignore what it says on the stat dial, and go off the thermometer reading because this is where your snake is sitting.

The only make of stat for mats I'd personally recommend is the microclimate pulse stats, all mine are these and never had a spot of trouble.
reptiledanny Posted - 01/01/2010 : 16:32:24
wat habistat would i need. mite think about investing in one of them. one for a heat mat.
HannahB Posted - 01/01/2010 : 16:12:36
with the plastic fauns i've found that i need to set my stat slightly higher than it needs to be to allow for the plastic - mine looses about 3' in the transfer through the plastic so to get it steady at 29 i set it to around 33'
hope this helps danny..
mine are all habitstats so i dont really know about cobrastat's but if it does the right thing then its ok
n/a Posted - 01/01/2010 : 15:47:46
I use a verity of thermostats

Use dimmer-stats for my Lager boa's to control the red heat lamps.

I have a pulse proportional stat that can be used on heat mats and Ceramic heat emitters - currently have it on a mat
I cable tie the probe cable tight onto the heat mat cable. Leaving enough cable free so the probe sits nicely onto the heat mat.

I also have some basic on/off stats that I have set up the same way as the pulse proportional stat

Would be afraid not to use them, when I started out - the pet store never told either. Nor did they stock them.

Doesn’t matter what bard you buy as long as it is the correct type of stat for your heat set up.

For example

Dimmer stats are only to be used with lamps

Basic on/off stats are only suitable to be used with heat mats

Pulse proportional stats can be used with both mats & ceramic heat emitters

Unless the manufacture instruct otherwise

reptiledanny Posted - 01/01/2010 : 15:13:57
forgot to ask does anyone else use this thermostat.
reptiledanny Posted - 01/01/2010 : 14:19:12
does it make any difference on wat thermostat you by make. i have the cobrastat thermostat is that ok. i have placed the sensor under the tank on the heat mat and have set it to about 32-33. i will see wat temp that creates in 30 mins. this will give it time to cool down and reset it temps cuz i have had the heat on it's own under the tank. i know this is bad but wen i had monty in a faunarium the shop i bought him from sed i didn't need a thermostat so i never used one so the whole thing is new to me. i am going to get everything correct this time.
hillzi Posted - 01/01/2010 : 14:00:58
Yup
reptiledanny Posted - 01/01/2010 : 13:59:15
ahh, ok, so then i dont set the thermostat to 30 i set it to wateva the thermometer ses. so i set it to something and see how hot it gets. then if its to hot or to cold i reset it. k
eeji Posted - 01/01/2010 : 13:57:18
you don't - tape it directly to the heat mat and put a digital thermometer inside the faun and calibrate it from that.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000