The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Help!!! New snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 30/12/2009 : 23:06:47
I just got a new snake she called fluffy and was sold to me as a normal het Amel shes about 2ft long and 18month old, she is very moody and when i try to first pickher up out of her viv she is very defencive and strikes but when shes out shes fine,can any one advise on what i can do to stop her striking at me.
also can any one help me with feeding techniques as she hasnt eaten for the 2 weeks iv had her, i didnt try the first week to let her settle in. iv checked the temp in both hot and cold ends and i have what i have read up to be the perfect viv for her.

*moved to different section*
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 01/01/2010 : 09:36:55
Firstly welcome and congratulations on your new snake. I am sorry she is so moody but what HannahB has said is probably correct....she is being viv defensive and probably hasnt been handled enough or correctly.

You did the right thing in the first place, leaving her for the week to settle in. Try putting in something with your smell - best suggestion I have found was a knee high sock with the foot cut out, cos then you get rid of the 'sweaty foot smell ' and there are no worries about her getting trapped in it. Otherwise all you can do it treat her as you would a hatchling who has never been handled. Try and avoid a glove if possible, I think it is so much better if they get used to your hand and smell straight away rather than the feel of a glove...even if it means putting up with some bites. I know that sounds scary and may hurt but it is necessary. If she does bite and hold on dont pull her off, it will damage her teeth. Just wait for her to let go or if that doesnt happen try dripping a bit of lukewarm water on her head and she should let go. HannahB is right...the most important thing is staying calm and patient. Try not to be nervous, just be confident and if you dont feel it then fake it!

As far as feeding is concerned she has only missed 2 feeds, which isnt too serious at her age and size. Have you weighed her? It would be a good idea to cos then you can monitor her and see if there is any weight loss if the non-feeding continues. When you have tried feeding her, once she hasnt taken the mouse, have you left the mouse in the viv overnight? It may be she is a shy feeder. Are you feeding her in her viv? This link may be worth looking at http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3720, but it is early days at the moment so try not to worry (a lot easier said than done, I know!)

xxx
hillzi Posted - 31/12/2009 : 17:29:43
Hey,

I've just had an issue with a 4ft adult corn who was very stroppy, I didn't use gloves and he tamed down within 4 weeks. Just takes a bit of perceverance. She'll get used to it. I used bare hands as she'd get used to my hands better.
I just threw a towel over his head, scooped him up and he was mine!

Feeding, I'd try her on a small mouse weekly. She sounds like my Blaze's length and when I get his heating sorted, he'll be on 2x small mice every 10 days.
n/a Posted - 31/12/2009 : 17:25:27
is there anymore suggestions on feeding
HannahB Posted - 31/12/2009 : 12:06:35
thanks danny.. i did edit the post last night but my tinterweb was on the blink so it obviously didnt get done..
reptiledanny Posted - 31/12/2009 : 10:17:19
mods, this doesn't really belong in the photo section. general keeping?
n/a Posted - 31/12/2009 : 00:58:22
the temp is around 84/86 at the hot end and 76/78 at the cool end she has 3 hides in total and one tree to climb she also has a large water bowl and a small one, i defosted the mouse in warm water placing the mouse in a bag then in the water, i then used tongs to try feed this failed so i left it an hour or so warmed the mouse with a hair dryer and brained it still with no interest. Is there anything else i can do im waiting now to try again on friday
HannahB Posted - 30/12/2009 : 23:33:30
first off hello and welcome to the forum,

what are the temps in your viv? does she have the adequate amount of hides - min of 1 in each end,
what did you attempt tp feed her with and how was it defrosted?

with regards to the viv agression its possibly because shes not used to human contact.. will probably require gloves and confidence.. snakes pick up on how we are feeling so if you go to pick her up shaking like a leaf then she will take advantage and snap at you.. but if she bites she bites.. it will hurt and because she is bigger she might leave a few puncture marks but thats all,
one idea is that you could put a sock or something with your scent on in the viv - she can get used to your scent then without the stresses of being handled..

also until she has fed i wouldnt really handle her
hope this helps

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000