The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Not Eating!!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 22/12/2009 : 10:04:19
hello again i have had my snake flake now for 1 month and he hasent eaten yet i am now getting woried when i took him to the vet the vet said he was in great condition but now he hasent eaten am geting worried the guy in the pet shop said it is hibernation period so he prop wont eat but i think this is all lies the vet suggested to try him with a pinkie to get him back in to the eating habbit i took him back to the vet yesterday and he is rapidly loosing waight so they gave him a vitimin enjection so wot it is has any 1 got any ides on how to make my boy eat thanks for everything
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 23/12/2009 : 15:59:29
quote:
Originally posted by pinktoe

...heat up with hair dryer small mice i recomend defosting them in the frige over night and then heat them up to 37degrees with hair dryer

there's no way i'm taking its temperature.........

it just wants to feel warmer than i do.....
gingerpony Posted - 23/12/2009 : 15:58:03
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz_1989

GP - When you say above, make sure the prey item is defrosted before warming, what is the reason for this?

if it's defrosted slowly the it will be defrosted thoroughly with all the insides squishy, palatable and digestable. then a final blast with a hair drier or in hot water to get it to an appealing, life-like temperature
obviously there's various ways to defrost and heat but however you do it the prey item MUST be defrosted throughout. heating in warm water can defrost just the outer bits of mouse, or cook the mouse making it unappetising and a bloody mess if the snake constricts!
n/a Posted - 23/12/2009 : 12:43:22
if u are defrosting a pinkig wrap in in kichen rool and leave around 1/2 an hour then heat up with hair dryer small mice i recomend defosting them in the frige over night and then heat them up to 37degrees with hair dryer that is just wot i suggest orther people suggest different but i find that works really well
Gaz_1989 Posted - 23/12/2009 : 12:29:16
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

tbh its better if the food can be defrosted slowly over a period of time - i always left my pinkies out for 90mins minimum even though they probably only take 30mins to completely defrost..
if some bits are still frozen inside and it then gets put in water these areas will probably end up getting cooked and will probably be too hot..

also warming the mouse up in water straight away can lead to the tissues becoming weaker and if you have a constrictor it can lead to the mouse popping which is messy
and it can cook the pinkie which isnt good..

Thanks alot.

AS a rough guide, how long do you think a fuzzy would need at room temp? And what about small mice?

Thanks

Gaz
Kellog Posted - 23/12/2009 : 11:52:18
How much does Flake weigh and have you been monitoring the weight since you got him? I know Kellog went for 13 weeks without eating when we first got him, but he didnt lose much weight because it was a natural reason for not eating - he was horny!

It does sound as though you have been given some very dodgy advice from the pet shop. Please follow what GP has suggested in making the adjustments to his viv because they really are necessary and she is definitely the expert to listen to.

xxx
n/a Posted - 23/12/2009 : 11:48:02
ok thanks for every thing guys
HannahB Posted - 23/12/2009 : 11:45:38
quote:
Originally posted by flake

hello Gp he is about 4 1/2 to 5 ft and the pet shop told me he is 18 months to 2 years old so i am only going on wot they have told me he cam with no vet records or sheding records he was on medium mice but i have a funny feeling he was on live i am getting really woried. tryed feeding him last night because i have just done up his viv sorry for pestering every1 just wan to make him happy thanks

if hes nearly 5 foot then hes a lot lot older than 2years..
dont panic about him not feeding... corns can go months without feeding so 3weeks is nothing although if he is loosing weight rapidly then it would suggest that hes not fed in a while - at that length he should have the reserves to be able to go for a while without food..

the reptiboost will help him - just work out the right amount needed and then give it him in his water - should help him perk up abit..

like gp said getting rid of the waterfall and the fogger might help him - high humidity isnt required for corns - can cause health issues such as RI's if its too damp..
n/a Posted - 23/12/2009 : 11:10:09
hello Gp he is about 4 1/2 to 5 ft and the pet shop told me he is 18 months to 2 years old so i am only going on wot they have told me he cam with no vet records or sheding records he was on medium mice but i have a funny feeling he was on live i am getting really woried. tryed feeding him last night because i have just done up his viv sorry for pestering every1 just wan to make him happy thanks
HannahB Posted - 23/12/2009 : 09:47:20
tbh its better if the food can be defrosted slowly over a period of time - i always left my pinkies out for 90mins minimum even though they probably only take 30mins to completely defrost..
if some bits are still frozen inside and it then gets put in water these areas will probably end up getting cooked and will probably be too hot..

also warming the mouse up in water straight away can lead to the tissues becoming weaker and if you have a constrictor it can lead to the mouse popping which is messy
and it can cook the pinkie which isnt good..
n/a Posted - 23/12/2009 : 09:20:13
well when i went to the vet she said to defrost it in the fridge over night in kitchen roll and she also said if i wanted to defrost it quikly then to do it in hot water hope this helps
Gaz_1989 Posted - 23/12/2009 : 09:01:47
GP - When you say above, make sure the prey item is defrosted before warming, what is the reason for this? Im sure what you say is correct but i have been warming in warm water straight from frozen, is this incorrect?

Thanks

Gaz
gingerpony Posted - 23/12/2009 : 00:02:52
quote:

he is a two year old classic corn he is a about 4 1/2 to 5 ft .....i got him from a pet shop and with no feeding records.....the temps are 27 + 20.....i defrost his mice in the fridge wraped in kitchen roll then i heat it up with the hair dryer then dingel it in front of him in his fedding box

1. there's no way he's a 2 year old corn at nearly 5ft long, he's more likely to be 4 years+
2. have you asked the shop how or what they were feeding him and how often?
3. your warm end temp is a bit low (IF measured correctly), check the caresheet on this site......low temps mean they can't digest their meal properly which is another reason they might refuse to eat.
4. how are you measuring the temps? where are the thermometers/probes sited?
5. is the prey item thoroughly defrosted before being heated up? defrosting in the fridge takes forever.
6. have you tried feeding him in the viv? leaving the prey item in with him overnight or even 24hours undisturbed?
quote:

in his viv he has 3 hides 1 in the hot 1 in the middel and 1 in the cold side i have 1 waterfall i large water dish 1 fogger he did have a heat rock but i took it out he loves his viv he is always out exploring and the place is coverd with plants all his equipment is exo terra thanks again x

not eating is FREQUENTLY caused by incorrect set-up..........which, basically, yours is.

get rid of the waterfall, get rid of the fogger - they will both increase the humidity far too much, corns are from a dry, arrid environment and are adapted to live there, not somewhere damp!
also ditch the heatrock, they're not for snakes and basically an uncontrolled heatsource. how big is the viv? too spacious an enclosure can stress them to the point of not feeding although it's less ikely with a 5ft adult.
n/a Posted - 22/12/2009 : 17:23:51
hello and thanks for the info is viv is about 1 meter he likes the fog hnd loves the water fall and i have spent a lot of time on his tank it was funny yesterday when he was drinking out of the water fall what it was is before he was in the pet shop i was a guy that had him and he went into the army so he had to give him away and the pet shop bought him of him and then i bought him and just out of question would you call £150 resoble for him. as for the reptileboost i have just orderd it so i shall have it 2morro i will post pic of viv later thanks x
HannahB Posted - 22/12/2009 : 17:12:27
if he was on live mice then the shop should have told you - not all owners are comfortable with live feeding - i wouldnt even go near it personally..

he doesnt need a heat rock so well done for taking it out - if he had coiled around it and it got too hot then he could have gotten some nasty burns.. tbh the fogger isnt needed either - they are usually used for animals that need high humidity which corns dont,the waterfall probably isnt needed either but i bet it looks good

how big is his viv out of interest?
how often was he being fed before you got him? Im thinking that at that size it would be around every 7-10days?

if you really are worried then get him some reptiboost and maybe up the warm end to 29'..
n/a Posted - 22/12/2009 : 16:57:13
in his viv he has 3 hides 1 in the hot 1 in the middel and 1 in the cold side i have 1 waterfall i large water dish 1 fogger he did have a heat rock but i took it out he loves his viv he is always out exploring and the place is coverd with plants all his equipment is exo terra thanks again x
n/a Posted - 22/12/2009 : 16:53:37
he is a two year old classic corn he is a about 4 1/2 to 5 ft
i got him from a pet shop and with no feeding records he is on mice i have a funny felling he was on live tho he is still very active but just had a vitiman injection the temps are 27 + 20 i am just very worried i defrost his mice in the fridge wraped in kitchen roll then i heat it up with the hair dryer then dingel it in front of him in his fedding box so any help will be appreceated thanks x
HannahB Posted - 22/12/2009 : 11:19:05
yeah im asking the same q's as Gaz

how old is he?
some snakes will go off their food round about this time of year - my royals have which is a pain!

get some reptoboost, put it in the water and it will help get him the nutrients he needs and will act as a pick me up,

what was he eating on before and did you get the feeding records when you bought him?

Gaz_1989 Posted - 22/12/2009 : 10:27:18
how old is he?

how long have you had him?

how big is he?

what was he eating before you had him?

what is his set-up like? including temps?

providing this info will help people to help you.

Thanks

Gaz

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000