The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Taming a baby corn

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
herriotfan Posted - 20/12/2009 : 00:32:19
Hello all
How do you tame a baby corn snake? What do I do if it tries to bite?
I'm a bit apprehensive 'cos like most people I'd rather not have to deal with a snake bite!!
I do hope you don't mind me asking all my questions, I don't mean to pester but if I don't do my research I'm not a very responsible, prospective owner.
Thanks
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sammysnake Posted - 22/12/2009 : 07:27:58
quote:
Begin by handling it for only a few minutes at a time. Sammysnake's advice about doing it over the bed is a good one, although I would suggest covering it with a towel in case of poos!!

Thanks Kellog, forgot to mention this little point. I do use a towel now and know which days to expect a 'present' after Twilight pooed on Mike's side of the bed a couple of times!!

Herriotfan - I think it took my baby about 4 weeks to slow down and stop trying to speed away from me and he never tried to bite. Now he likes to investigate the sleeve or the hood of my dressing gown instead which is really cute.
hillzi Posted - 21/12/2009 : 11:28:13
Try taming a vicious 4ft corn, but I managed it.

My I used 2 methods.

One - if he's in the cheerioes box, warm hide, it has the floor of the box. Just the box on its side if you get me so i just scoop the box out, with snake inside (doing his nut) but he ventures out onto a sleeveless arm. (they'll get more used to your hands if you go in un gloved!)

Or if he's in the cool end, the biscuit box comes out and he's under it. flipping and twisting and rattling. I put a towel over his head to calm him down as its dark, then pick 2 coils and go behind the head GENTLY (Only neccesaery for a biter IMO) he sometimes gapes at me when I do this but I keep a firm, supporting, gentle grip and he stops and when he coils round me (I know this means he feels more secure) do i losen my grip letting him venture onto my arms and hands.

The shock is worse than the bite though, also the speed.. is well. very fast!

But like Matty and SS has said, most hatchies 'leg' it, instead of turning and fighting.
Kellog Posted - 21/12/2009 : 03:52:27
I agree with Matty about not using a glove if you can help it...the snake needs to get used to your scent and the feel of your skin. Also if you wear a glove then it shows you are nervous and the snake will pick up on that. The sock thing can be helpful, but try it after you have handled the snake for a bit and seen its response to you. It will have had the one-week settling in period when it will have had a chance to get used to your hand going into its viv and a chance to get used to your smell from you straightening the substrate and changing the water.

HannahB is right, it is a case of confidence - if you dont feel it then fake it until you do! No quick moves, just slowly and gently. Dont jerk away if it goes to strike, it may just be a defence gesture and not make contact. If it does it is usually a nip (although I am not talking from experience but purely from what I have read) and you must try not to react but continue with what you were doing. It must not think it has scared you. Begin by handling it for only a few minutes at a time. Sammysnake's advice about doing it over the bed is a good one, although I would suggest covering it with a towel in case of poos!! Just let it run through your hands, from one to the other... As you get used to it, it will get used to you and you will be able to increase the handling time.

If the snake does bite and hang on you must never try and pull it off. You either need to wait until it lets go (hoping it is soon) or you can spray it with water on its head, or just drip water on it. Have been told that usually works. Hopefully it will never be anything you have to experience...although I gather you are a 'virgin' until you have been 'tagged'!

Am so impressed with the amount of research you are doing, so please keep questioning!!!

xxx
matty18714 Posted - 20/12/2009 : 16:12:09
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

You could wear gloves and handle your hatchling until it becomes tame or you can put one of your used sock in the viv , faun and he/she should get used to your scent

I have to admit, I dont think much of this method. I have not used it, but I wouldnt even bother. Hatchlings are always going to me jumpy and scared.
hiper2009 Posted - 20/12/2009 : 16:01:51
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

best way to get them used to your scent is to put a sock or a piece of clothing with your smell on and putting it the faun or viv with snakey - that way your snake will get used to you without any extra stress

Already stated this haha
HannahB Posted - 20/12/2009 : 14:59:40
BE CONFIDENT and go for it..
if it bites..it bites.. remember its only a hatchie so it wont hurt - at most you will have a few tiny marks

my oh got a gorgeous little blizzard called Zero.. snappy little thing who would scarper at the lid being removed.. i was the lucky one who he decided to lash out at but i honestly didnt notice..all i saw was his head moving fast towards me and then making contact with me..there was no pain or blood or anything
now hes a little angel.. still speedy but he hasnt lashed out or anything - it just takes a firm hand and confidence..if you feel or act nervous then they notice and will take advantage

not all corns are this tectchy though - none of mine have ever tried to bite me

best way to get them used to your scent is to put a sock or a piece of clothing with your smell on and putting it the faun or viv with snakey - that way your snake will get used to you without any extra stress
Sammysnake Posted - 20/12/2009 : 13:37:07
My baby hasn't tried to bite me, he just used to try to get away quickly! I would say be gentle but also firm, don't touch the head or the end of the tail (Twilight doesn't like that) and make sure the snake is well supported in the middle. I always handle my boy over my bed so if he slips he has a soft landing. Initially I used to just let him move freely around me and the bed, guiding him in the direction I wanted to rather than forcing him anywhere and he soon learnt there was nothing to be scared of.

Good luck, it's the best decision I ever made getting Twilight. Hope you feel the same way when you get yours too.
hiper2009 Posted - 20/12/2009 : 13:02:20
You could wear gloves and handle your hatchling until it becomes tame or you can put one of your used sock in the viv , faun and he/she should get used to your scent , but its mainly just regular handling to tame it. Good luck let us know how you get on
Kehhlyr Posted - 20/12/2009 : 01:24:39
The biting from a hatchling doesn't hurt really, it's the shock of the bite that is worse.
If you have a flicky through the posts in the general keeping section, you'll dig some stuff up, and stick the word 'sock' into the search page and you'll get loads of info up on making a hatchling tame down a bit.
Unfortunately all it boils down to though is perseverence at the end of the day.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000