The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 2nd Shed So Soon?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rik Posted - 15/12/2009 : 23:33:49
I posted a couple of weeks back with a pic of Khan's first shed (with me anyway). Not seen him all day which is unusual so lifted his hide and his eye's are blue and he is very pale. Time to shed but its not that long since his last. What normal for a baby corn? Just want to make sure its ok.
Thanks
Rik
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Nazzle Posted - 17/12/2009 : 13:30:58
Got some old Royals that are picky feeders, so know alot of the tricks, but will def let you know how the feed goes. If not I know a good local vet.
n/a Posted - 17/12/2009 : 12:39:27

Nazzle, some of them are like that. Take two snakes, treat them both the same, one will be cool, the other will display irregular behaviour for no apparent reason, at least nothing to do with you, could be something that happened to that snake before it came to you.

On the regurge, better ask Gingerpony. On the feeding, take a look at the sticky post re non-feeders, see if anything there could be of help to you.

Good luck and let us know.
Nazzle Posted - 17/12/2009 : 11:03:52
I can't remember the exact date, think it was the 14th of November I'm at work so not got my records but will check his weights when i get home. He hasn't really lost any weight, but he's not put any on, and he does have a more triangular shape rather than being nicely rounded. Had him for about 5 weeks I think. He's due to feed on Sunday. Think I got him on the 14th of Novemeber. If he doesn't feed or regurges again he's going straight to the vets as I really don't think it's his temps and about 70% of his faun is covered in cork bark hides so he can thermoregulate without coming into the open, most of the rest has plastic plants shading it so he feels secure. I even covered three sides of the faun with sugar paper to try and make him feel more secure and have done very minimal handling and never after a feed. Don't know how I can reduce his stress levels any more.
Kellog Posted - 17/12/2009 : 03:49:45
Rik, just to repeat Hawkeye's question...when was Khan's last shed. I remember pics I think but not when.

Nazzle, temps sound fine...although I am no expert. How long have you had him? Have you weighed him? Well done for leaving him the 10 days after the regurge. When is he due his next feed?

xxx
Nazzle Posted - 16/12/2009 : 17:07:35
The shop had him on two pinkies, and he is of a size that will take two pinkies, but he has only ever taken one with me, and then only if it is left in his faun over night. Of the 5 feeds he has had with me he has refused once and his last feed was regurged, so I'm currently giving him 10 days to give his stomach acids chance to regroup. Temps are room temp in the cool end (mean of approx 21) and I have a thermal data logger in the warm end (as I'm worried about why he regurged)which shows a range of 27.4-30.1 with a mode of 29.1. He is VERY timid, so I'm only spot checking and not handling until he feeds. I just checked his records and it was actually the 14/10/09 when he last shed. On the plus side he is begining to look like he's hunting and is actually beginning to venture out at night. His last shed was Sorry again for jumping in on the thread.
n/a Posted - 16/12/2009 : 16:47:40
quote:
Originally posted by Nazzle

Sorry to jump in on a thread, but my hatchling hasn't shed for 8 weeks (according to the pet shops records). He's a difficult feeder, could that be the problem? Is it a problem?

How accurate are their records? But yes, if he doesn't eat and doesn't grow much then he won't shed as often. One of mine used to be like that. Once he started eating he went into a regular shedding schedule, as normal as they come.

How is he a difficult feeder? Does he not eat at all?

Nazzle Posted - 16/12/2009 : 14:58:14
Sorry to jump in on a thread, but my hatchling hasn't shed for 8 weeks (according to the pet shops records). He's a difficult feeder, could that be the problem? Is it a problem?
n/a Posted - 16/12/2009 : 09:40:43

When was his previous shed?

Sammysnake Posted - 16/12/2009 : 08:26:29
Twilight (July 09) has been doing every three weeks, but his last one (Monday) was four weeks. I am expecting him to go longer in between as he gets older. He's adding 50% to his body weight each time at the moment!!
HannahB Posted - 16/12/2009 : 07:10:56
baby corns tend to have a shorter shed cycle than adult corns, my little ones generally shed between every 5 and every 6 weeks, as he is still 'new' i think hes shed so soon again because of the regular feeding hes getting from you - with regular feeding they tend to grow faster for a period because they have usually gone from a pinkie every 7 days to a pinkie every 5 or 6 days..

other reasons for a faster shed could be an injury or mites, some corns after bumping themselves will shed or if he has mites he might shed to try and get rid of them..

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000