The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 behaviour question please for a novice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 15/12/2009 : 22:52:57
Hi all! I am new to the forum!
I have adopted a beautiful quite young corn snake. she has been fine, ate four days ago, has a heater on half the tank, comes out and bathes, etc. today we come home to find her buried under the substrate on the COLD side of the tank (it was room temp which was chilly in the 60's) We thought she escaped and tore up the house when tow hours later we checked the tank again and found her. I warmed her up in my hands and put in a pinkie and she is now in her cave over the heater/warm side. WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT ALL ABOUT ? WHAT WAS SHE DOING? almost like a hibernation or something? can anyone tell me?
Thanks!
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 17/12/2009 : 03:10:41
I agree with what has been said, that as long as the temps are ok in your viv, approx 21oC in cool end and just under 30oC in the warm end...then her behaviour seems fine.

One bit of advice though - if you are worried about your snake having escaped always check the viv thoroughly before you panic! Other forum members have done the same...one eventually emptied substrate and found it there, another took everything out of viv...viv was empty but discovered snake hidden in small hole under one of the logs he had taken out of the viv and put on side table!

xxx
LittleMick Posted - 16/12/2009 : 22:27:50
In the wild, Corn snakes Brumate (hibernate), where they will eat a last meal then go hide and snooze until the winter is over.
All that said, Corn snakes like to burrow as well, so as previous posters have said, could be your corn is just chilin'. I have only had my Corn for a couple of months though so not had much time for watching his behaviour in captivity. So I would go with the opion of the more experienced keepers.

PS: Snake brumation in capivity is normally controlled by the keeper, and mainly controlled for breeding purposes.
lmfastcars Posted - 16/12/2009 : 14:01:41
I just keep finding half his tail hanging out the aspen and he has burrowed the rest of his body under and he is on the cool side, its perfectly fine :D
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 16/12/2009 : 10:28:02
It is perfectly normal. hen we handle ours we put them back and they head for a hide in the warm end, then minutes later they'll be climbing back up the plants to the top of the tank
Taz Devil Posted - 16/12/2009 : 10:02:27
Sid does exactly the same. She'll hide under the substrate at both ends even though she has a hide to use. When I remove the water bowl and hides you can see all the tunnels she has made under the substrate.
n/a Posted - 16/12/2009 : 09:43:57

Of course she would feel cold to you: your own body is at about 36-37 degrees, hers is naturally a lot lower.

Everything you described in the opening post sounds normal and absolutely fine.

Gaz_1989 Posted - 16/12/2009 : 08:38:41
Mine first did this last week (only had her 3 or 4 weeks).

I too posted on here and was worried.

She now does it alot, she hides under the substrate in the cold end, and when i pick her up she is really cold to the touch, but its nothing to worry about.

Sometimes she chills under the substrate with head in the cold end and tail in the hot end, lol.

Gaz
Rik Posted - 15/12/2009 : 23:40:38
Mine spends lots of time at the top of his tree asleep near the vents. This will be room temperature (20C) i guess. He does feel very cold to the touch sometimes.
frai Posted - 15/12/2009 : 23:40:37
yeah mine too i just thought mine was crazy lol
n/a Posted - 15/12/2009 : 23:22:19
Really? She was so cold!
lee2308 Posted - 15/12/2009 : 23:04:20
dont worry,its just thermo regulating its self,if it wanted warmth it would move to the warm side,mine spends alot of its time at the cool end

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000