The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 I can see my corn breathing!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gaz_1989 Posted - 15/12/2009 : 08:33:09
When im handling my corn, i can see her breathing. As in i can see her body expanding and then retracting as she breathes.

Is this normal? Or is she stressed? I havent noticed it before, maybe its because shes getting a bit bigger that i can now see it?

Thanks

Gaz
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 06/03/2010 : 10:45:26
quote:
Originally posted by lessthanjase

sarcasm doesn't really come across aswell on t'interweb does it ;)

Dont worry Jase....knew you werent being serious , just couldnt help replying as though you were!!!

xxx
n/a Posted - 05/03/2010 : 16:50:28
That has always fascinated me too. Like a friend once said of Snickers, "It's mesmerizing". I sit for long spans of time just watching the different uniqueness that I've noticed. Watching her breath and seeing how long her lungs are is just one of those things.
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz_1989

When im handling my corn, i can see her breathing. As in i can see her body expanding and then retracting as she breathes.

Is this normal? Or is she stressed? I havent noticed it before, maybe its because shes getting a bit bigger that i can now see it?

Thanks

Gaz

Sammysnake Posted - 05/03/2010 : 16:28:52
quote:

n/a Posted - 05/03/2010 : 13:26:46
Kellog Posted - 05/03/2010 : 04:15:54
quote:
Originally posted by lessthanjase

i'm still waiting for mine to blink!

Dont hold your breath waiting Jase !!!

'Snakes don't blink because they lack eyelids. However, their eyes have protection in the form of a layer of transparent skin called brille. This skin doesn't move and is shed along with a snake's skin and replaced by a new one. A snake's brille is clear except when the animal is preparing to moult, or shed, its own skin.'

xxx
n/a Posted - 04/03/2010 : 21:24:30
i'm still waiting for mine to blink!
Fernando Pierre Posted - 04/03/2010 : 14:40:57
it is toataly normal i watch both of mine do it it is very interesting!
Fal Posted - 03/03/2010 : 21:41:52
Great link Imfastcars!!! Fascinating really, I have a snake yet had never thought to look up their physiology, it's amazing really.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 03/03/2010 : 17:22:44
quote:
Originally posted by kizzig

We only really notice it when ours are still, i.e. when they're coiled round a hand or wrist. Once they're moving again, we don't really notice it.

Same here, although i notice it more in Casper and Reggie, could be because they are so much bigger than Candy.
n/a Posted - 03/03/2010 : 16:23:58
!! It maybe a defensive tactic. or just faster breathing,.
Its normal
n/a Posted - 03/03/2010 : 16:22:52
It looks wired when they do it
hillzi Posted - 17/12/2009 : 21:38:23
I've seen it when my corns (all of them) have puffed themselves out and starting breathing really fast followed by a fail strike.

It maybe a defensive tactic. or just faster breathing,.

it's completely normal.
Kellog Posted - 17/12/2009 : 04:26:42
I must admit to being concerned about Kellog's breathing when I first got him....but then I was the same when I had my first baby cos they breathe so fast compared to adults, felt as though she was fighting for breath but it was totally normal.

It is ok to be concerned, you have probably never seen or felt a snake breathe before...but is sounds all normal to me!

xxx
SexyBear77 Posted - 15/12/2009 : 16:26:38
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

Yes, your snake breathing is normal. If it didn't breathe it would be dead.

PMSL
eeji Posted - 15/12/2009 : 16:00:10
Yes, your snake breathing is normal. If it didn't breathe it would be dead.
kizzig Posted - 15/12/2009 : 12:19:52
We only really notice it when ours are still, i.e. when they're coiled round a hand or wrist. Once they're moving again, we don't really notice it.
Gaz_1989 Posted - 15/12/2009 : 11:48:51
Thanks alot,

I knew that she had to breathe somehow, it just looks like they are panicking when you see there tummy moving in and out, lol.

Thanks

Gaz
lmfastcars Posted - 15/12/2009 : 11:19:21
Becasue snakes don't have a diaphram like humans do to allow their lungs to induct and exhaust air from their lungs, they have specilized mucsles that control the ribs which inducts and exhauts air.

It isn't anything to worry about, I must admit though i was concerned about this untill i looked into the anatomy of a snake.

Here's a link just incase;
http://www.bugsinthenews.com/snake_anatomy.htm

HannahB Posted - 15/12/2009 : 11:18:12
id be worried if she wasnt breathing!!

i notice when my royals are breathing heavily - it tends to be just when they first get handled and then they tend to slow it down again,if you can watch her when shes out and about in her viv then you will see what her 'normal' breathing pattern looks like and then compare it to when you are handling her, she probably will breathe a bit heavier than usual when you first pick her up - a huge big hand has just come down and picked her up from nowhere!
but like you said you havent noticed it before so it might just be normal

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000