The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Hello, New corn snake advice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 13/12/2009 : 22:04:48
Hello i picked up a miami cornsnake yesterday morning, He/she is about 4-5 months old, i set up the viv a week before i brought her home and got the temperatures spot on i believe, 26 cold end - 32 warm end. With a 25watt reptiglow lamp and a heatmat, i turn them both off when i go to bed and it cools down to about 20-23. i think thats ok?, Now ever since ive brought her home she has been hiding, i believe under the substrate at the back of the viv and i believe its just because of her new surroundings, settling in. I got a feeding record of her and she has been doin well, strike fed the last 2 times she has been fed. Any advice, explanations for her behaviour since she has come home would be VERY appreciated
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 13/12/2009 : 23:28:32
ideally the warm end temperature needs to be somewhere around 27-29 deg C so a stat is really essential to prevent any permanent damage caused by excessive heat ;)
SexyBear77 Posted - 13/12/2009 : 23:09:55
quote:
Originally posted by SteveyH

the temps max out at like 32 never gets any hotter with them both, with just the mat i think it gets too cold

Its still far too hot, even if it does then turn off. 30c is the absolute max it should be. Do you have a thermostat to control temps?

As DM has already said, no need for a mat and a bulb, stick with the mat and dont bother turning it off at night.

As for her behaviour, its very common for a snake to get stressed after moving to new surroundings. Snakes are naturally very shy, agoraphobic and active mainly at night, so until she is settled in she probably wont come out very much.

The best advice is to leave her completely alone for a full week, just daily water changes and move her substrate about gently so she can get used to your hands and smell. Dont feed during this time, even if it means missing a feeding day.
n/a Posted - 13/12/2009 : 22:14:40
Yeh ive been researching the whole week before i got her, still need to learn a little more tho i believe, is her hiding normal? when i first put her in the viv i left the tub she came in and let her come out at her own pace, she came out explored for a while then burrowed into the aspen and hasnt really come out since, saw her out once after that, And thats all

edit: Sorry, rushing my replies and making a mess
n/a Posted - 13/12/2009 : 22:12:22
the temps max out at like 32 never gets any hotter with them both, with just the mat i think it gets too cold
devilsmistress Posted - 13/12/2009 : 22:10:56
A heat mat on its own is enough for a cornsnake! They dont need the bulb, it can cause the temps to go a bit to high. The warm end should be 27-29 and the cool end 21-23 ish, Thats what mine are! you should be leaving the heatmat on at night to, No need to turn it off, and you could end up with digestive problems to. She will hide for a while, leave her well alone for a week to settle, and only change the water and smoothe the substrate each day.

Have you read the care sheet on this site? Very usefull!
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000