The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 constricting

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tinamiles Posted - 13/12/2009 : 18:16:02
why do some corns constrict when they're fed and some dont? Is it because they learn to constrict as they grow+become more muscly?? Id love to see Blaze do it!
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 14/12/2009 : 23:42:29
dave constricts and smokey does sometimes with a bit of coaxing :) have to wiggle the mouse alot for him to do it. hes cool though..

Spedz Posted - 14/12/2009 : 22:59:57
All of mine constrict, and very fiercely.
My first corn took a couple feeds, but never fails to constrict now.
The Rainbow boa constricted from day one, and I got him at 3 feeds in! (Plus he's the most vicious feeder I've ever seen!)

I always heat mine up in their direction for a few seconds with a hair dryer before I give it to them (To alert them of the smell and lure them slightly out)
I feel like this puts them more into hunting mode, rather then just being thrown in with one..

It doesn't matter if a snake constricts or not anyway; as long as they're feeding!
tinamiles Posted - 14/12/2009 : 21:58:57
thanks to everyone for the answers. He still isn't constricting, but im not gonna force it. Most important thing to me is that he's eating. Just given him his first bigger pinkie+he wolfed it down. Must've been hungry for it. He really strikes now though, he'll follow the pinkie up in the air+have half his body raised up before he strikes sometimes!!

How many feeds should it ideally take before he can take large pinkies? (the ones that are almost fuzzy sized). He was on small pinkies, about 2 - 2.5cm long, and he's just gobbled a pinkie about 3.5com!
MacSpud Posted - 14/12/2009 : 16:37:55
Mine's only struck and constricted once and that was when I was trying to tempt it out of a plant and jiggling the fuzzie around more than I normally do.
My feeling is that they're energy efficient creatures and why waste energy striking/constricting when it's obviously not needed. I also remember reading something along those lines but hey it's the internet...
Those of you with regular strikers could conduct and experiment and see if they still strike if you just place the mouse and then introduce the snake :)
n/a Posted - 14/12/2009 : 15:57:11
"Am now planning on dancing the mouse"

Cant wait to see the vids of that!
All sorts of exciting mouse puppets just popped into my head!
:)
devilsmistress Posted - 14/12/2009 : 14:55:26
Missy never used to strike or constrict. Now she will stike and as for constricting, well it depends if she feels like it! Sometimes she will gently stike and take the mouse, Other times she strikes really fast had consticts in to a ball so fast it scares me! Karma has yet to strike or constict! I guess it depends on the snake and im sure some of them are smart enough they know the mouse is already dead so no point in stiking or consricting! Im sure thats the case with Missy, when Im feeding im wigiling the mouse and she looks at me as if to say dont bother, its dead!
Taz Devil Posted - 14/12/2009 : 14:34:41
sid will strike and loosley coil on the rare occasion. She'll either grab the mouse and pull it into her hide, or she'll strike for it, let go and then explore around the mouse till she eventually eats it. To date I think I've only had one feed left. But no full constriction.
Kellog Posted - 14/12/2009 : 02:24:44
I certainly think it depends on the snake...and as Hillzi said some may 'forget' or just get lazy as they realise it is unnecessary.

When we first got Kellog he was 4yrs old. He then went straight into a 13 weeks fast, which as corn snake newbies was terrifying! This forum kept me sane. We continued with his normal feeding routine...feeding every 5 days, dangling mouse then when he totally ignored it leaving it in the viv overnight. When he did eat (which was a total shock) he did strike as we dangled the mouse. He did throw a loose coil over the mouse...as if to say 'this is mine, no-one is getting it!'. Our relief at his feeding meant we continued as we had, dangling the mouse and he continued to strike and claim ownership. Am now planning on dancing the mouse more and not letting go straight away..in the hope it will encourage him to strike and coil. But to be honest all that matters to me is that he eats.

Blaze may coil and constrict in time, or may not...but at least he is eating!

xxx
tinamiles Posted - 13/12/2009 : 19:55:56
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

Wiggle the mouse with tweezers/tongs to make it look alive, and the snake should strike. wiggle it gently but dont pull away this can damage snakey's mouth. if he throws a coil round it, great! but if he doesn't and just sits there trying to pull it back, let him have it.

Cheers hillzi, il give that a try. He never used to strike, his first few feeds he'd only eat the pinkie if i left it in his feeding tub with him, but now he'll strike, especially if the pinkies been put n warm water for a min or 2!
hillzi Posted - 13/12/2009 : 19:43:59
Some can 'forget' how to constrict and for many it's a learning curve.

My 14 month old hasn't got it yet, and my 6 year old is still touchy when being fed, so will try it when he gets even more used to me.

Wiggle the mouse with tweezers/tongs to make it look alive, and the snake should strike. wiggle it gently but dont pull away this can damage snakey's mouth. if he throws a coil round it, great! but if he doesn't and just sits there trying to pull it back, let him have it.

reptiledanny Posted - 13/12/2009 : 18:31:43
some just do it and some don't. i don't really know why but i think it's instinct to some and others just don't get it. some will do as they get older but some will never do it.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000