The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 I am desperate please help me

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 12/12/2009 : 23:27:31
I need help!
I have been desperate to get a corn snake for a very long time and my mum finally agreed.
I went to the libary and took out a book about them, I researched them loads, and I went to the reptile place that sells them and i handled the one i wanted and fed some phytons and I'm going to call him sibilance (it means alliteration of the letter "s" so I think that's pretty cool because snakes go hissssssssss)
I have been so excited I can't even express how excited I was!
I talked to my snake everyday in my head and I thought about all the circumstances like going on holiday and if we might argue over who is better, griffindor or slytherin and I just haven't thought of anything else. and NOW suddenly my mum isn't going to let me get one.
her reasons are:
1. It will get too big
2. I will loose commitment
3. When I go to university (in 2 years) I'll leave it with her
The worst thing is I think number 3 is correct because I know you're not allowed pets in universities. I would have to live at home during uni which is quite easy because I live in London, but still I might want to go to a different university away from home and I don't know what to do about sibilance!!!!!
I really need him, I love snakes so much I would love to have someone to talk to in my room, I know that snakes don't get emotionally attached to their owners but I can still talk to it, and i've already built up the whole image in my head, I would love feeding it aswell. i feel so lonely when I think about not ever having it.
Can you please please please please help me think of arguments to the points that my mum made because I want to persuade her and I want her to WANT me to get one I don't want to have to blackmail/force her.
Thanks a lot xxx
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 14/12/2009 : 09:19:27
Sorry to put a downer on your venture, but if you have a trawl through the reps for sale section, you will see just how many people gets corns, and then put them up for sale when they go to Uni. As already mentioned, try and work, or even volunteer in a local rep shop, but put off getting the snake for a while.
Kellog Posted - 14/12/2009 : 02:11:35
quote:
Originally posted by JiB410

Kellog, I know I'm the newbie here so I feel the need to apologise for giving bad advice. maybe I should stop posting so late... lol
quote:

Posted - 13/12/2009 : 00:32:31

JiB410...no need to apologise. We all make mistakes with our advise which is why it is great that others are around to correct us. I think it is good you felt able to comment and you certainly shouldnt stop posting - but maybe posting at that late at night/early in the morning isnt such a good idea....that is the brain dead hour of night!! (says she who is posting at 2.15am!! )

xxx
lmfastcars Posted - 13/12/2009 : 20:19:16
My mum knew that i loved snakes anyway becaseu ive been going on about getting one for about 4 years and then i was like mum im gunna go look down the reptile shop and she said right ill come with you so i can get over her fear of snakes. We went their and the shop keeper A) helped me with bits of information i wasnt sure about and my mum and i came out the shohp with Fluffy :) and my mum loves him. Just keep up the enthusiasm and just keep thinking about the long term commitment becasue there may be something you didnt think about.Good Lck
x
reptiledanny Posted - 13/12/2009 : 15:56:36
you jus have to hang on in there and give her time. i was in your situation once. mum sed no at first but eevery so often i would ask again and i managed to persuade my dad who then pesuaded my mum. she gave in twice. i got monty and then this year i asked for a gecko. she let me get that aswell. they then sed i could get one more of my choice, but then monty escaped and ad and mum say if i don't find monty i can two more corns. a male and a female.
n/a Posted - 13/12/2009 : 15:04:25
http://s1003.photobucket.com/albums/af152/SibilanceSnake/corn%20snake/?action=view¤t=IMG_0028.jpg
I think that will work
n/a Posted - 13/12/2009 : 14:12:37
Thanks for being so honest, I'm deffinatly going to go to the pet shop with her tomorow to show her the snake and she can speak to the breeder/owner person about her concerns.
And I promise I don't want sib to fill a gap, I don't have a gap I just get attatched to things easily but I suppose that's a good thing because it means I won't easily go off sib and loose commitment.
I did look after a wooden snake for a couple of months recently but I took it to school and someone snapped the head off :(
I'll show you a picture of me when I was little with a snake! how can i post it?
SexyBear77 Posted - 13/12/2009 : 12:55:36
Scissors-

It sounds like you are having a very hard time dealing with this issue which I am so, so sorry about. I am going through something similar myself at the moment, so I can understand where you are coming from.

Firstly, resorting to blackmail or force to get your mum to allow you to have a snake is wrong, no matter how difficult she is being. At the moment your mum has no real reason to want you to get a snake, especially if she isn't keen on snakes herself. Bear in mind that people can be stubborn or "closed-off" about certain things because they dont want to lose face or look like a push over. The more you keep on at your mum, the more you might find she puts her foot down.

As stated above, corns do require a huge amount of commitment. I got Casper when I was 14 and he was a hatchling. He is now 7, I am 21. If he stays in good health I could still have him when I am 34-40 years old, with kids! I am at uni a the moment, and hope to move abroad when I get my degree, and I know I wont be able to take Casper, or my other 2 snakes with me, which makes me sad.

Have you tried taking your mum down to the pet shop to see the snakes and have a chat with the real experts? This way you can impress her with your knowledge and hopefully put her mind at rest about some of her other concerns, like keeping, size etc.

Whatever happens, remember she is your mum and she loves you, even though you may think she is being mean! Keep your chin up, ease off a little, but let her know that you would still very much like a snake. Good luck!

x
n/a Posted - 13/12/2009 : 12:09:47
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

I dont think JiB410 has quite grasped what your mum is worried about -

Scissors, apologies for the first post Kellog is alot more grasped on the concept of keeping pets and what it means to be a good carer for them.

The simplest way I can put it, it's almost like having children (yet I have none of my own).
My partner and I have recently purchased 2 corns and a tortoise, the tortoise being alot more expencive than the corns. We found out 2 weeks after having him that he has a calcium problem and his shell is very soft at the bottom, this was unoticed at the time of purchase. When speaking to a more trusted pet shop owner, she advised "take him back and get your money back". Hearing her say this felt like an insult! I was angry at the slightest idea of "swapping Henry" for anything.
ALL pets are very big commitments, from parrots that won't shut up whilst you're watching TV to puppies that'll crew threw your £900 sofa.

Think carfully about what everyone has posted and check with your University on the keeping issue

Kellog, I know I'm the newbie here so I feel the need to apologise for giving bad advice. maybe I should stop posting so late... lol
quote:

Posted - 13/12/2009 : 00:32:31

n/a Posted - 13/12/2009 : 10:32:26
I totally agree with Kellog.

Getting a snake is a massive commitment- a lady at my work bought a snake with her herpetologist husband when the were just married and 25 years on the snake is still happily snaking around!

Ive wanted a snake since I first held one when I was 3- Im 26 now and married and had my snake about 1 month. If my friend at work is anything to go by- my snake could be around until Im 50! (quite a daunting thought to be completely honest!!)

If your going to a far away unni- think about it from the pets point of view- and this goes for any pet- So you going to own it for 2 years and then...Your gone and the animal now has to adjust to a new person/surroundings...

My friend was in the same dilemma as you and finally decided to hold off until she finished Unni and was a bit more settled.

If you want to be near them/handle/feed/gain experience- then go and find your self some "Work Experience"- or volunteer at your local shop- You'll get the best and worst of both worlds- handling/cleaning out etc etc and you will be gaining Valuable Snake/reptile experience!

Good luck with your decision.

xXx
Kellog Posted - 13/12/2009 : 05:22:38
quote:
Originally posted by Scissors

I need help!

1. It will get too big
2. I will loose commitment
3. When I go to university (in 2 years) I'll leave it with her

Can you please please please please help me think of arguments to the points that my mum made because I want to persuade her and I want her to WANT me to get one I don't want to have to blackmail/force her.
Thanks a lot xxx

Scissors, it really does sound as though you have done your research and even had a tiny bit of experience in handling and feeding, which is fantastic. It does concern me a bit just quite how fixated you are on getting your snake...please dont take this the wrong way but it almost sounds as though you are hoping the snake will replace something lacking in your life.

A corn will get to a maximum of about 5ft, which means that eventually you will need a viv big enough to house a snake that big. Have you looked into the cost of it all? If you start with a hatchling you will have it in a small rub, then need to move up to a faunarium, then a viv, then a bigger viv... It is the same with feeding them, starting on pinkies and ending on jumbo mice. Also just the set-up is expensive, with the heatmat, thermostat, hides, substrate etc. If you have considered all of this then show your mum you have and how you plan on paying for it all. It will show her how committed you are and that you are taking this seriously.

How long have you wanted a snake? I know you have done the research etc, but if it is a recent interest I can understand your mum's reservations regarding commitment. I dont think JiB410 has quite grasped what your mum is worried about - she is worried that you will lose interest and she will either have to take over looking after it or have to find it a new home. It is also a lot more than just feeding...it is cleaning the viv, changing water every day, preferably handling every day except for the 48 hrs after a feed, the fear of escape and what you will do if that happens. A corn lives a long time...up to 20 years I think (please correct me if I am wrong) so it is a big commitment to take one on, a commitment for life. How often has someone started a new hobby and been all enthusiastic, bought all the equipment and then 6 months down the line have got bored and found something new and more exciting and the old hobby is forgotten? That is her fear about you getting a snake.

I cant really answer the question about university, because I am not sure about their policy on snakes. Obviously they wont allow the normal pets like cats and dogs, but it may differ with snakes. If you cannot take your snake with you then surely you should question whether you want to get a pet that you love but that you will only be with for a few months a year once you have moved to uni. Is that fair on you and on your snake?

I know my answer will sound fairly negative to you and I am sorry if it does, but I am just trying to be realistic and responding both as a mother and a snake lover. What I loved about your post was your last comment, that you dont want to blackmail or force your mum into letting you have a snake, but want her to want you to have one. That is a really mature attitude to take.

If anything I hope that what I have said will make you think and then you may be able to respond to your mum's concerns with real answers.

xxx
n/a Posted - 13/12/2009 : 00:32:31
lol you definatly sound excited.

1) 4-5ft isn't that big...
2) All I can say not having kept a snake long but having a wide variety of pets is they don't seem to need alot of commitment. This is my opinion only I know others may disagree, but feeding once a week or4 so isn't that much of a chore and keeping them clean is a lot less hassel than any other pet I've ever had.
3) How long are you going to Uni? Do you have any other family members that would agree to look after Sibilance? Speak to the Uni's you are thinking of applying to, one of my friends kept a bearded dragon at Uni for 4 years (I don't know if the Uni knew about it or not though)

The best thing is to try and get her to see that corn snakes are great pets. Both mine and my partners family's were very doubious about them at first but now they're the first thing we're asked about when we see them. Laurens mum was even scared of them at first, but with a few facts like; "they're only 14 inches long" (atm), "even if they tried to bite you they couldn't" (small white lie) and the ever lasting; "no of course it's not slimey..."

If any of my advice is wrong guys please correct me i'm still a newbie

Let us know how you got on, and you are correct about the name

quote:

Spelled Pronunciation [sib-uh-luhnt]

–adjective 1. hissing.
2. Phonetics. characterized by a hissing sound; noting sounds like those spelled with s in this, and certain similar uses of ch, sh, z, zh, etc.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000