The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Picking him up tonight.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
headlow Posted - 11/12/2009 : 15:03:52
I thought I wasn't picking my Corn up til tomorrow, but it turns out that he's ready for collection tonight.
I just have a few questions. I take it the basic care is the same as my King and Milk? Hot end around 29/30, and a light misting of the tank every few days?
The shop owner says he thinks the snake might be about to start the shedding process, so should I put a moist hide in straight away?
Also when my other snakes are in shed I lightly mist the tank twice daily......should I do this with the corn too?

Many thanks,

Justin
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 14/12/2009 : 06:41:20
as every one is talking about temps i thought theres no point in starting a new topic a got a q i read up some where that at night the temps off the heat mat should be put down to 24C is that right ??

sorry for changing the topic a bit headlow :)
Kellog Posted - 14/12/2009 : 02:31:55
quote:
Originally posted by headlow

Ok I won't mist the tank, but he has a moist hide in now. Is it ok to put it in just for the shedding process?

You only need the moist hide in during the shedding process as your corn's normal environment would be a dry one and therefore no need for the extra humidity. If your viv is humid normally it can cause the problems mentioned by GingerPony and SexyBear. It is purely a tool to help loosen your snake's skin while it is coming up to shedding its skin.

xxx

xxx
headlow Posted - 13/12/2009 : 13:19:18
I'm slightly confused about the whole humidity thing. I lifted this from the care sheet......

'Most Corn snakes will handle a shed without any need for extra help, but if you want to assist your snake during this time you should try to raise the humidity in your Vivarium to help your snake loosen it's skin. You can do this by placing a larger water bowl in the vivarium so that your snake has the opportunity to soak itself if desired. You can also lightly mist the tank with water to help raise the humidity. Another useful tactic is to place a humidity box in the Vivarium. This can be a sandwich box with a hole cut in the top filled with damp sphagnum moss. Your Corn snake should appreciate the extra humidity and it will make the next stage in the process easier for it.'
headlow Posted - 13/12/2009 : 13:15:08
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

no no no misting!!

as SB said, blister disease.........! and RI's............!
corns are from an arrid (dry) environment so that's what they've evolved to live in. unless you're expecting a problem with a shed i wouldn't even put a damp hide into the enclosure......

Ok I won't mist the tank, but he has a moist hide in now. Is it ok to put it in just for the shedding process?
gingerpony Posted - 12/12/2009 : 22:37:34
no no no misting!!

as SB said, blister disease.........! and RI's............!
corns are from an arrid (dry) environment so that's what they've evolved to live in. unless you're expecting a problem with a shed i wouldn't even put a damp hide into the enclosure......
SexyBear77 Posted - 11/12/2009 : 17:18:06
Intense misting can also cause blister disease from damp living conditions. I have never misted my snakes.

Agree with the rest of above, though there is some evidence that extended periods of 30c can cause neurological problems, so most keepers have their corns at between 27-30.

Pics soon please!
reptiledanny Posted - 11/12/2009 : 16:31:22
you don't need to mist tank in any reason unless like Gaz_1989 sed he has trouble shedding. if mist to much it will cause RI because there will be to much moisture in the air. i would recamend putting a moist hide in if you want but i never ever put one in for monty and he always shed fine apart from the first time i got him. hot end 29-30 and then cold end should be around 24. pics would be nice wen you get it
Gaz_1989 Posted - 11/12/2009 : 15:12:00
And yes hot end temps 29/30 mate.
Gaz_1989 Posted - 11/12/2009 : 15:11:20
Read the Care sheet mate, think its in the intro section.

As far as i know, unless the corn has trouble shedding then misting of the tank is not nesescary.

I havent done it yet anyway and mine sheds fine.

Hope this helps

Gaz

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000