The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 shedding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 07/12/2009 : 23:39:51
my snake seems to be in shed, skins vert dull and his eyes are misty/blue in the light, shud i keep handling down to a minimum, leave him till he sheds or handle like i normally would?

thanks for the help
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KITTYCAT Posted - 09/12/2009 : 00:50:22
Hi there personally i would just leave it alone till it has shed i have one snake that would eat whille dull infact he would eat every day the other doesnt eat while blue, it wont do it any harm to leave it till its shed. out of curiosity how have you missed every shed so far, do you mean seeing it shed cause they do normally do it at night i only cought casper half way through a shed n it was amazing but that was 2weeks ago and it was the first time in nearly 2 years.
n/a Posted - 08/12/2009 : 23:00:29
cheers for the advise, feeding is not till friday so we might of shed by then fingers crossed, ive missed every shed so far unforunatly
Sammysnake Posted - 08/12/2009 : 06:41:03
Twilight hides for around 10 days before a shed and is very nervous so I try not to handle him for that whole period unless I have to clean his viv. He is on kitchen roll so it's usually possible to remove the tissue without disturbing him too much.

I do feed him though. Usually he's fed out of the tank but when he's hiding I just pop his food in the tank and leave him to it, checking back later. It's usually gone within seconds but if he ever didn't want it, I wouldn't be worried.

As Kellog said, every snake is different and you can tell a certain amount from their reactions what they want to do. If Twilight smells my hand then backs his head away but stays curled up then that's a 'go away I'm quite happy where I am thank you'. If he immediately tries to climb out the top of the tank then it's I want to play/have some exercise'. Simples
Kellog Posted - 08/12/2009 : 02:27:44
I know some owners handle and feed during the time from the snake turning 'blue' to it shedding, but I dont with Kellog. I am aware of him being partially blind and would not want to stress him....even in the period from him no longer being dull to him shedding I leave him. I also dont feed him cos I feel a few extra days without a feed is better than trying to feed him during that period. I always feel it must be like having a 5 course meal when you are wearing your tightest jeans - your snakes skin is tight and ready to shed, I dont want to make it feel even tighter!

But it does seem as though it is down to each snake and each owner as to what works for them.

xxx
hiper2009 Posted - 08/12/2009 : 01:11:00
Agree with Chrissy !, Also its best to avoid a feed if they are in shedd stage.
n/a Posted - 07/12/2009 : 23:44:52
i would keep handling to a minimum at the moment, some corns are great to handle when they are in shed and others are not,mainly because they have trouble seeing and it can affect how they react to things around them
hope this helps

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000