The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 heating

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sara3502 Posted - 07/12/2009 : 22:32:25
I'm getting my first corn in a couple of days and I want to know what would be a good but cheap way to heat its tank? I do not really want to but a heat pad for it because they are so expensive but I would like something else.
And also,can I use a regular heat pad for humans that u get at walmart for heating the cage?
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lmfastcars Posted - 08/12/2009 : 17:20:45
and also, when the fuse in the bulb has gone, youll need to buy a new bulb and its just gnna be a ridiculous price in the end to heat your snake
hiper2009 Posted - 08/12/2009 : 10:57:01
Did you know if you used a lamp your costing your self even more on the electric bill and not to mension how much it will cost to buy the lamp , bulb , and the metal mesh
Sammysnake Posted - 08/12/2009 : 06:48:14
quote:
I was meaning one of those mesh-wire tops that are metal you can use as a lid on your cage and I would make sure the holes are extremely small and put the heat lamp over that.

Has anyone used one of these for a snake? Is there a possibility that the metal top as a whole would get too hot from the lamp? Sara you'll be amazed at the pics that have been posted on here of just how well snakes climb - a baby could easily support itself across the length of a tank's ceiling pressing against possibly hot metal.

If you're talking about cost, I would have thought that a heatmat would have been way cheaper than a new metal top. The most expensive bit of kit for Twilight was the thermostat but you have to have one of those whether you use a mat or a light bulb (with extra guard) or a ceramic heater. In fact, a thermostat for a heatmat is way cheaper than a dimming one which is what you really need attached to a bulb.

What type of tank have you got?
Sara3502 Posted - 08/12/2009 : 01:50:25
Hi, I was not meaning a bulb protector I was meaning one of those mesh-wire tops that are metal you can use as a lid on your cage and I would make sure the holes are extremely small and put the heat lamp over that.Would that work? I really do not wanting my snake to get hurt.
hiper2009 Posted - 08/12/2009 : 01:14:54
quote:
Originally posted by Sara3502

I want to get a metal cover for the top of my tank and put the heat lamp on it. will that work?

You mean you want to have a heat bulb in with a bulb guard over the bulb so your snake cant burn its self, But you asked what was the cheapest way and we have stated the heatmatt is the cheapest way, Also i would not advise you to use a heat bulb and guard for your hatchling as they can squeeze in to the holes and they will toast them selfs and you most probly end up with a dead snakling like Chrissy has already stated.
Sara3502 Posted - 08/12/2009 : 01:11:29
I want to get a metal cover for the top of my tank and put the heat lamp on it. will that work?
hiper2009 Posted - 08/12/2009 : 01:09:13
It would be alot cheaper for you to run a heat matt this would hardly affect your electric bill where as a heat lamp , ceramic bulb will cost you more in the long run !
Kehhlyr Posted - 08/12/2009 : 00:26:10
Although I'm still not sure which one is cheapest in the long run when it comes to electricity usage and stuff like that.
n/a Posted - 07/12/2009 : 23:49:09
quote:
Originally posted by Sara3502

Can I just use A heat lamp for it?

you can you can even use a Ceramic bulb, i use one for my corn and prefer them to mats.

if you are getting a young corn, i would suggest using a Mat though, only because hatchlings have been know to get through the holes in bulb guards and "cook" to death
Sara3502 Posted - 07/12/2009 : 23:33:07
Can I just use A heat lamp for it?
hiper2009 Posted - 07/12/2009 : 23:06:47
You can pick up a Heatmatt from ebay for less then £10 - 15$ with a free p&p You just need to browse around for the best price
HannahB Posted - 07/12/2009 : 22:48:00
heatmats are the best form of heating for a corn - they arent that expensive tbh, some rep shops will do deals for mat & stat purchases

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000