The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Taking Corn Out Of Hide,,,

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gaz_1989 Posted - 07/12/2009 : 13:35:05
Whenever i want to handle Stella i just take the hide out (whichever shes under) and take her out. She doesnt seem to mind at all and is great when im handling her.

I told my mate yesterday (who owns a reptile shop) and he said im lucky she doesnt take my hand off.

Is it not normal that she lets me take her out of her hide? He said i should only handle her if shes out in the middle of the faun? And that i shouldnt take her hide off her?

Thanks

Gaz
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 08/12/2009 : 03:25:05
I never used to take hide off Kellog as I felt it was his safe place and I shouldnt invade that, but then when he had mites he retired into his hide and wouldnt come out. Following advice from on here I started taking the hide off him, making sure that he was aware that I was around by doing what GP suggested. He doesnt have a problem with it and has now come to expect it. It is definitely a lot easier than trying to find him under his substrate and wrapped around his branch!

xxx
n/a Posted - 07/12/2009 : 22:21:26
Suzie doesn't care, she's quite happy unless you go for her tale.

Tango moves so quick that you can't tell if she's annoyed or not...
gingerpony Posted - 07/12/2009 : 21:37:56
i think your mate is really meaning if you startle your snake you could quite rightly expect to get tagged as a defensive response. obvioulsy with some individuals and certain species you're more likely to get your arm taken off than with other species lol and you should be pretty safe with a corn, maybe not a grumpy king snake though!

what i'd personally recommend is something like changing the water or moving some decor around, just to let the snake know you're in his space, give him time to wake up and expect some interaction
hillzi Posted - 07/12/2009 : 20:07:40
quote:
Originally posted by Taz Devil

I take Sid out of her hide whenever she is inside and I want to handle her. It seems a bit strange for a pet store to advise against removing a snake from it's hide.

I'd never handle Sid if this was the case.

Quite. Older they get, less active they are.
lmfastcars Posted - 07/12/2009 : 17:36:45
Fluffy seems completly oblivios to the fact that im removing his hide bless him lol
n/a Posted - 07/12/2009 : 17:18:45
quote:
Originally posted by Taz Devil

I take Sid out of her hide whenever she is inside and I want to handle her. It seems a bit strange for a pet store to advise against removing a snake from it's hide.

same i have got alot off hides in my viv if i dont move them i wont be able to get to them
Taz Devil Posted - 07/12/2009 : 16:16:48

Jo-And-Danny Posted - 07/12/2009 : 15:55:32
Our king used to do that, but our corns just sit there
Twi Posted - 07/12/2009 : 15:49:24
Ginger rattles her tail if I try to take her out of her hide but shes fine if I get her out of the hide then pick her up.
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 07/12/2009 : 15:19:33
Ask your mate how he would get a snake out of a viv to maybe show someone who was interested in buying it? Would he say 'sorry i cant show you this snake as it is under its rock' ??
devilsmistress Posted - 07/12/2009 : 14:33:50
I take the hides off of mine and lift them up, They dont seem to care either
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 07/12/2009 : 13:55:15
Our corns are the same. I dont see no harm in it, she's obviously used to you taking her out

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000