The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 05/12/2009 : 14:06:57
Hi, I bought a cornsnake about 3 months ago (when she was already 9 months old) and was advised to feed her one pinky every week. Im still feeding her one pinky a week now shes a year old. But after reading posts on here it would seem i should have started feeding her at least 2 pinkies or maybe even fuzzies by now??

Also, I dont know about you guys, but i never (or very very rarely) see her moving around in her viv, shes always hidden. Could this have anything to do with me maybe not feeding her enough? Any thoughts welcome.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 07/12/2009 : 19:58:20
where is the mat positioned?
what type of viv is it ie. glass, plastic, wooden?
what substrate are you using?
what sort of thermometers are you using and where are the situated?
how are you setting up the thermostat and where is the probe?

sorry for the 20 questions, with more info we can give more specific answers to help you
n/a Posted - 06/12/2009 : 16:41:08
25g is really tiny? What should a yearling weigh roughly? Cant believe ive possibly been under feeding her for the last 3 months....

When I got the viv it came with a heat mat, but even with the thermostat all the way up the temperature wouldnt go above 20 degrees, so i bought a 60 watt red reflector lamp which is on 24/7 and that keeps the temperature up to around 30 degrees. I'll be feeding her 2 pinkies from now on and hopefully that will make her a bit more lively.

Also, i think she may not be adventuring around her viv because the lamps on all the time so its always bright in there... Do you think my setup sounds ok? Is there anything I might be doing wrong?
gingerpony Posted - 06/12/2009 : 06:52:19
25g for a yearling? wow that's really tiny!!!
try a few feeds of 2 pinkies then move up to a fuzzy. the general rule for food item sizes is that it should be no thicker than 1.5 times the thickness of the snake at its widest point.

your viv sounds absolutely huge for her aswell, and how come you're using a lamp AND a mat?
n/a Posted - 06/12/2009 : 00:23:48
What do you guys think i should be feeding my snake? Shes 1 year old, 2 foot long and weighs just under 25g's. Thanks.
n/a Posted - 05/12/2009 : 20:15:41
Thanks for your reply kehhlyr,

The viv is 2 foot wide, 15 inches deep and 18 and a half inches tall (they told me at the pet shop this would be big enough for the next 3 years - is that right?)
Im using Aspen Professional Snake Bedding
The substrate is about 1 inch deep all over
I have a heat mat and and heat lamp
Yes I have a thermostat
I have 2 hides, one on the hot side and one on the cold, i have 2 big pieces of driftwood which stretch from one side of the viv to the other and 4 medium sized vines. So theres plently off things for her to hide behind etc.
She is exactly 2 foot long.

I check on her sometimes during the night, and have only seen her out and about about 3/4 times, I also handle her alomst every day and she seems perfectly tame and happy to be handled... Maybe she just prefers staying hidden all the time...
I'll be feeding her 2 pinkies every 7 days form now on.

Thanks again, Phil.
Kehhlyr Posted - 05/12/2009 : 19:50:07
Hiya Kazazza, and welcome to the forum.

The lack of you seeing her move around in the viv wont be much to do with your feeding.
She may be moving round a lot when you're not there, or when you're asleep.

Anyway, a quick few questions, just in case;

How big is the viv?
What substrate are you using?
How deep is the substrate?
How is it heated?
Do you have a thermostat?
What other decor do you have? (hides etc)
Roughly how long is the snake?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000