The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 rescued corn

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 28/11/2009 : 17:50:06
we have just been to pick up an unwanted corn from a friend. she found him/her in the local park and had for a year but in her own words says its borin and she cant be bothered. its a 5ft carolina i think,was kept in a 1x2ft fish tank with sand as substrate. she also has a hyper 3 year old boy who was yankin the snake around like a toy when we got there. Despite all of this she is lovely and tame and appears in good condition. will post pics of her and santos soon as i dont think iv shown any of santos anyway. btw any advice for the rescue? should i take her to the vets to be sure shes ok? thanks xx
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 30/11/2009 : 20:20:15
Thanks again every one! Shes been in a seperate room from the start. theres no more room in our living room lol and we thought she deserved some peace and quiet away from the human traffic! thank you for all your kind words and i will keep you updated and pics soon as she settled and been checked xx
hillzi Posted - 30/11/2009 : 16:13:41
Well done to you rose.

Definately the adults fault for her kids actions, best to have get her out there, her kid couldv'e easily killed the snake or knocked over her viv or the snake couldv'e had the kid. Pure irresponsibility,

again, well done to ya! Pics soon!
HannahB Posted - 30/11/2009 : 06:52:41
well done for rescuing her,
if you are worried that she might have mites or any parasites the best thing to do is put her in a separate room from santos (like a quarantine) but apart from that i agree with the others about getting someone to see her,
look forwards to seeing pics of her
Kellog Posted - 30/11/2009 : 05:05:25
She is so lucky to have been taken away from that place and to have found a home with you Rose....thank God you were there to save her from those conditions and that treatment.
I am no expert but if you have a local breeder coming to check her next week then I would wait to check her mouth til then and let her have her settling in period. It does sound on the outside as though she is ok, which is encouraging and shows how tough corns are.
Well done for being her saviour!

xxx
n/a Posted - 30/11/2009 : 00:16:50
thank u for the advice.
She is now in a 3x2 on newspaper. All i need is a stat so hopefully she'l be ok without the heatmat until tomorrow
She appears to be physically ok. Eyes are bright, tongue flickin, no visible kinks. Should i leave her to settle now or check her mouth asap? Btw we also got the fish tank she was in and the sand was soakin wet.
I know its not the kids fault but in my opinion (and i know im only 19 with no kids so correct me if im wrong) a 3 year old shouldnt be handling the snake with out supervision, especially a 5 footer and his mum didnt seem bothered about what was goin on while we were there. The kid was very lucky. If i pulled santos around the floor like that im pretty sure he'd have me lol.
A local breeder will be comin 2 check her nxt week as the nearest rep vet is half hour on the bus.
Thanks again xx
n/a Posted - 29/11/2009 : 12:08:17
thank u for the advice.
She is now in a 3x2 on newspaper. All i need is a stat so hopefully she'l be ok without the heatmat until tomorrow
She appears to be physically ok. Eyes are bright, tongue flickin, no visible kinks. Should i leave her to settle now or check her mouth asap? Btw we also got the fish tank she was in and the sand was soakin wet.
I know its not the kids fault but in my opinion (and i know im only 19 with no kids so correct me if im wrong) a 3 year old shouldnt be handling the snake with out supervision, especially a 5 footer and his mum didnt seem bothered about what was goin on while we were there. The kid was very lucky. If i pulled santos around the floor like that im pretty sure he'd have me lol.
A local breeder will be comin 2 check her nxt week as the nearest rep vet is half hour on the bus.
Thanks again xx
hillzi Posted - 28/11/2009 : 20:08:18
make sure theres no kinks in it visually you can do this. The way of the child was treating it, not the child fault, the child is 3 years old.. just to be sure. it maybe worth getting him x-rayed for any internal damage. How's his eyes, and tailtip? any retained shed? is he alert and tongue going loopy when you saw him?
matty18714 Posted - 28/11/2009 : 20:04:56
I would take it to the vets for a general checkup and to get it checked for parasites. I would also check its mouth, but if your not comfortable that you know what your doing, ask the vet to do it.
hillzi Posted - 28/11/2009 : 19:59:38
That's very hard for me to beleive the conditions and how some people treat the snake that way, makes me wonder what that does to the snake. good on your friend for managing to keep her tame is all i can say!!

Good on you for rescuing it, things can only get better for him.

defo get him onto kitchen paper and do the usual set up, heat mat, digi thermo, stat, 2 hides, waterdish, branch, plants. get some cardboard hides for the time being or home made,. no need to splash out on expensive stuff asap.

also, asap, get him into a 3x2ft viv.
lmfastcars Posted - 28/11/2009 : 18:33:56
I think you should be safe looking at them yourself. Here's a few things to try;

Open their mouth to see if it is pink and healthy.

Check their scales, let them slide through your hands, If you see some black dots on your hand or on the snake, they have got mites.

Check their shed (when possible)

See how they feed.

She should be alright but if your worried check all those in more detail. Well done on rescuing her by the way, Glad to here shes in good hands
x

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000