The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 I'm scared to handle my cornsnake cos he bites!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 27/11/2009 : 20:47:30
Hey everyone!

i've had my cornsnake for a while, probably 6 months..
im looking to find him a new home because none of us can handle him!!
he bites when we handle him so we don't like to bother him,
can anyone give me some advice?
thanks
x
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HannahB Posted - 28/11/2009 : 11:54:13
like already suggested by SexyBear the best thing is to get some thick gloves and go in there with confidence and dont let your snake know that you are nervous..

Kellog is right aswell with putting an item of clothing in his viv that has your scent on it - can get them used to you without the stress of being handled

when i got my royals one of them was particularly snappy - would launch himself at me through the faun when i walked past it so had to get the gloves out and literally bite the bullet, i think snakes are quite good at picking up how we are feeling so if you feel scared or hesitate then they will pick up on it and take advantage and be snappy - i know thats how it was with my royal, now hes soft as butter
Kellog Posted - 28/11/2009 : 05:15:07
It would help to have some more info on your snake.

How old is he?
Did he get week to settle in?
How old was he when you got him and had he been handled before?
What is his viv set up like?
Temperature?
Is he feeding ok or showing any signs of stress?

SB is right. It does take time and a lot of patience to get a snake used to handling. It is even worse if you have been bitten because then you get nervous handling him and lose your confidence. Your snake can pic up on this and will make him more nervous.

You need to return to the beginning as far as handling is concerned. Patience, slow movements, fake the confidence you dont have, be calm. Keep your handling sessions to only 5 minutes. If he bites try not react and immediately return him to viv, keep calm and continue to handle him. Then calmly return him to viv.

Have you tried putting a worn glove or t-shirt in his viv so he is used to your smell?

How does he behave when you change his water or straighten his substrate? When you feed him?

Do you wash your hands before you handle him, in case you have smell of another pet like hamster or something on you it might put him into hunting mode....

Have tried to think of anything that might be affecting his behaviour..I hope it is some help and I am sure that with some of the questions answered those who know more will be able to offer better advice.

xxx
a33272 Posted - 27/11/2009 : 21:12:19
as SB said get a nice thick pair of gloves, is it she goes to bite you when u pick her up or after uve got her out
SexyBear77 Posted - 27/11/2009 : 20:49:35
Did he already bite when you got him, or did it start after?

Wear thick gloves and just crack on with it, gentle handling little and often will help to calm him. Are you sure he isnt stressed because of his setup etc?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000