The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 handling

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 26/11/2009 : 21:30:04
ive never handled a snake beore and im quite nervous about it, i know i dont grip him or squeeze him but will he just work his own way around my hands, does any one have any tips and is there any no no's?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 27/11/2009 : 13:55:46
thank you all thats some awesome advise and a great help x
n/a Posted - 27/11/2009 : 11:59:25
i was a bit scared the first couple of days when i got ma first corn but after me and him got to know each other my snake loves out side the viv he likes to coil up in my pocket and most of the time he falls asleap in there my snake also likes to go up my trouser leg, down my t-shirt but best possible advise i can think of the snake will find his on way in and out dont try to push him to go any whare he/she will go whare he/she wants hope this helps
Kellog Posted - 27/11/2009 : 04:24:43
A good idea is to handle your snake on your if you have a double....or your parents bed if your dont! That way if you do drop your snake it does not have far to drop and is onto a soft surface (cover the bed with a towel in case it poos). It also does not have anywhere to go.

When you are handling it just run it through your hands gently, letting its movements guide yours. Keep first handling sessions to only about 5 minutes and then slowly build it up as your snake and you get used to each other.

Hope this helps.

xxx
n/a Posted - 26/11/2009 : 22:26:50
Tizzy- the bath idea isnt a bad one- I may even try it myself!
(We have an extra long bath!!)
xx
Tizzy Posted - 26/11/2009 : 22:18:49
My friend son had a hatchling from me for his birthday but was so worried about losing it he didn't want to get it out. Now he sits in an empty bath with the plug in so that is snakey escapes he can't go far.

On a more helpfull note as long as you go for the middle third of the body (except directly after a feed when your putting it back in the viv)and don't squeeze it's not rocket science - when you buy your snake ask the shop or breader to show you and let you have a litlle practice to build your confidence. Any decent shop or breader will be happy to help.
hillzi Posted - 26/11/2009 : 21:34:28
leave him for 2 days after he's fed.

No quick movements, make sure you sit down on the floor, or sofa, so if he wriggles he wont have a far fall

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000