The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 A few questions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 26/11/2009 : 13:37:57
hi all, ive got my viv all set up with temps ect running,just a few questions,
The thermometers are reading 29 in the hot end and 22 in the cold end, is this right?

When i do get my snake home, how long do i leave it b4 i can pick it up? i've been advised a couple of days.

If the snake is due for a feed during this time do i still feed as normal and change the water daily?

Is it advisable that i let my children hold it or should it just be a 1 on 1 thing?

I have 4 boys, would all of them in the smae room with the snake when it is out stress it out?

The viv is set up in my dining room which isnt used that much at all, is this a good idea or should it be set up in a more active room such as the family room?

I have a book to keep record of feeds and shedding and i know a baby snake starts off on pinkies but how will i know when to move it up a stage, and should i weigh the snake weekly or monthly?

Should i feed it inside its tub or should i put it in a seperate tub for feeding and then once it hasa eaten to i move it back to its 'homely' tub?

Should it strike for its feed?

How do i get the snake use to me and when or should i try and introduce it to my children? (all boys aged 12, 10, 4 and 2)

Do i feed every 7 days or every 5 days?

thank you to anyone who can help xx
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 26/11/2009 : 19:03:35
thanks HannahB its a great help
HannahB Posted - 26/11/2009 : 17:26:32
if you feed him in a separate tub then you can either gently pick him up (once the food is in the thickest part of his belly) and move him to his faun/viv, or you could gently tip the feeding tub inside his normal housing so he makes his own way out,

the 48hour no handling guideline is generally aimed at no big handling sessions as it can cause regurge, someone used the example of us eating a big meal and then only being able to heave ourselves onto the sofa but not able to go for a run..its the same for the snakes
hope this helps
n/a Posted - 26/11/2009 : 14:44:52
thanks Tizzy, thats awesome, just thought of another question, its recommended to not disturb the snake for 48 hours post feeding, does this mean the feeding tub will have to go in the viv on the heat mat instead of the faun or is thi 1 move from feeding tub to faun ok and then leave the snake for 48 hours to digest, hope this makes sense x
Tizzy Posted - 26/11/2009 : 14:15:37
Here goes

The thermometers are reading 29 in the hot end and 22 in the cold end, is this right?
Sounds great

When i do get my snake home, how long do i leave it b4 i can pick it up? i've been advised a couple of days.
a week is better - tough i know but they really benifit

If the snake is due for a feed during this time do i still feed as normal and change the water daily?
Change the water, Yes. Feed it no, snakes can go months without eating so he won't get too hungry i promise, and always leave a snake for 48 hours after eating too.

Is it advisable that i let my children hold it or should it just be a 1 on 1 thing?
That really depends on your kids and your snake, hatchies can be pretty quick, my kids handle my lot but not the young uns, i guess it also depends of if the kids understand what they need to do?. I'd start off as just you and introduce the kids once snakey stars to chill out.

I have 4 boys, would all of them in the same room with the snake when it is out stress it out?
$ BOYS - your a saint!! As long as they're not making the room shake or banging the glass it should be fine, it's more things like vibrations you need to worry about so make sure snakeys not next to speakers and suchlike.

The viv is set up in my dining room which isnt used that much at all, is this a good idea or should it be set up in a more active room such as the family room?
Snakey won't mind being in a quiet place but wouldn't you like to see a bit more of it?? Corns are quite active in the evening to you can watch the mooch about when your snuggles on the sofa watchin Easties if they're in the family room?? Put them where suits you best, just try not to relocate them too often.

I have a book to keep record of feeds and shedding and i know a baby snake starts off on pinkies but how will i know when to move it up a stage, and should i weigh the snake weekly or monthly?
Weighing monthly is a great way of keeping a eye on their general heath but isn't the best guide as to when to move up a mouse size, a corn can take pray 1.5 times the width of the thickest part of the snake so use your eyes to make the judgement, if your getting a baby it won't be for a while and we can help you cross that bridge when we come to it.

Should i feed it inside its tub or should i put it in a seperate tub for feeding and then once it hasa eaten to i move it back to its 'homely' tub?
Exactly that, any old plastic box for feeding then put it back in the viv when it's done. This stoppes the chance of substrate being eaten and can help with corns being viv defensive too. My lot are fed in tubs and they know as soon as they go in to the tub it's dinner time and it's the only time they think anout food

Should it strike for its feed?
Some do, some don't, with hatching they usually don't for a while but will begin to and eventually constrict. Although saying that i have one corn who's too lazy to do any of that, as long as it's eating it doesn't really matter.

How do i get the snake use to me and when or should i try and introduce it to my children? (all boys aged 12, 10, 4 and 2)
I'd let snakey get used to you first then introduce the older 2, you'll have to be alot more carefull with the little 2, maybe wait till snakey has calmed down and the boys are a bit older. Things like putting a glove you've worn in the viv can help your snake get use to your scent

Do i feed every 7 days or every 5 days
5 or 7 is fine, i do 5 days for babies then work it up slowly 7 days once they're on fuzzies then 7-10 for adults,

Hope this helps,

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000