The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 New viv troubles!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 26/11/2009 : 11:38:09
We have almost got our viv done! But we need it sealing and a light putting in. The 2 things i want to know is....

Which sealent is safe to use for reptiles?

And

What wattage energy saving bulb do i need?

Can anyone answer me as soon as possible please? The glass has arrived this morning and we are eager to get the snakes in their new home
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 27/11/2009 : 10:00:09
Yeah i was told not to use UV lights at all because they don't need them. I was also told that strip lights flicker at a rate we can't see but can be stressful to snakes
casper Posted - 27/11/2009 : 09:13:15
I was told by my local reptile shop that if you are using a UV light, strip or the new compact version (this is what I use) to ensure that you don't get one with a higher UVB rating than 2%. Corns do not require UVB like other reptile species in their everyday lives.

This is what I have been told! If this is incorrect please feel free to re advise me, as I know there are other members who are FAR more experienced than I am! LOL!
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 27/11/2009 : 08:51:38
All together our viv has cost £50 to make, not bad for a 4ft by 2ft by 2ft
SexyBear77 Posted - 26/11/2009 : 20:06:17
I got a flat pack vivexotic viv and all the holes were already in it, 4 small holes for stat and thermometers Thank god!
gingerpony Posted - 26/11/2009 : 19:41:19
quote:
Originally posted by Roguescott

Do you have to seal vivariums just ordered one off of 888reptiles? also do I have to make my own holes to put the mat and lighting in??? I never knew the anser to this. Thanks

it's better to seal tham as any liquid urates can seep into the conti-board and over time it will rot, expand and distort.

aquarium grade silicon doesn't give off nasty chemicals for years that are potentially harmful to your snake. household silicon, especially the stuff advertised as killing mould and mildew does slowly and constantly release toxins as it 'does its job'.

and i'm not sure if the flat-packed vivs will have pre-drilled holes
n/a Posted - 26/11/2009 : 16:57:42
for a light you can buy a strip bulb like a av one thats what i use and they dont need a guard because they dont get very hot!
n/a Posted - 26/11/2009 : 16:37:52
Do you have to seal vivariums just ordered one off of 888reptiles? also do I have to make my own holes to put the mat and lighting in??? I never knew the anser to this. Thanks
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 26/11/2009 : 13:41:29
wes going to use both an energy saving bulb and guard and a heat. but not at the same time. we would have the bulb on through the day and the mat on at night so the temp stays the same
Tizzy Posted - 26/11/2009 : 13:26:06
Doesn't really matter what bulb you use as long as it's got a guard and is running through a stat. Is the light just for looks??? if it is it's far easier and cheaper to go for aquatic leds as they give off no heat so don't need the stat or guard. If you were planning on using a bulb to heat the viv and energy saving one probably won't give of enough heat, a Mat on a stat really is the easiest way to go for heating corn snakes. They don't need a light, it's more for your benifit.

Sorry that sounds much more confusing that it is but i hope that answers your question.
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 26/11/2009 : 12:17:12
I've rung a pet/aquatics shop and they stock it! Only bad thing is it's a 30 min drive away, and i don't drive haha! Will have to wait until tomorrow or saturday

What about the light bulb?

Thanks!
hillzi Posted - 26/11/2009 : 12:10:16
Aquarium sealant is waht ya need! http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__aquarium+sealant_W0QQ_dmdZ2?rvr_id=&crlp=627631117_228459_228460&UA=WVI8&GUID=e01309461240a02653937733ff5dbe1c&agid=273850837&MT_ID=11&keyword=aquarium+sealant&ff4=228459_228460

Any there is a good bet!

If you plan to co-habit i ensure you read THOROUGHLY this topic. http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070 there are many risks with co habiting.
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 26/11/2009 : 12:01:17
It will be a finished product soon hehehe

Thanks for the help, i can't seem too find any aquatic/reptile shops that sell the sealent but i'll have a ring round!
Mnementh Posted - 26/11/2009 : 11:58:24
When I sealed my Cham viv it was recommended to use the sealant from an aquarists , costs about £5 for a smallish tube , I managed a 3ftx2ftx2ft with that . Stinks awful like strong vinegar but soon dissipates .

Might have been better posting in general rather than here . I think this is for finished stuff you show us step by step how to build it :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000