The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Feeding question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 15/11/2009 : 19:59:54
I have a question regarding feeding my corn. Aeris is a normal corn snake, approx 4 months old. Previously, every feed has been a single pinky, there hasn't been a problem, she went straight for the mouse and it went down quickly. However now she's gotten a little bigger, I noticed the pinky seemed a little small for her, so decided tonight to try her on 2 pinkies.

I put her in her feeding box with 2 pinkies, immediately she went for one and it went down easily, but again with the problem of it seeming to small - there is no bulge evident at all it's as though she hasn't eaten. She ignored the second pinky totally.

Do I ignore the fact it looks to small to me, and accept that she ignores the second pinky because she is full? Do I feed her more often (on a 7 day cycle at the moment)? Do I move up to the next size mouse yet? Or do I persevere and keep offering her 2 pinkies until she takes them?

On an unrelated note, I'm also having handling problems - i.e. she wont let me touch her. She isn't particularly nervous in her viv when people are around, she loves to explore and is very active and even curious - she loves to watch the cat and isn't frightened when he comes to say hello! But the second I touch her she shoots off under her aspen. On the odd occasion I've managed to grab her she's only interested on escaping (which is only natural). I regularly put my hand in very near her to get her used to me and my smell, and she doesn't flinch. But as soon as I make contact, and vanish! Is this a common problem and do I just need patience,or do I have an antisocial snake? Off the record I'm not all that bothered if she becomes hand tame or not, but I would prefer it.

Thanks everyone for all of your help!
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sammysnake Posted - 17/11/2009 : 07:01:03
I would say just go for it with the handling, let Aeris know gently but firmly that you are boss but that you are not going to hurt him. The only way to do that is to pick him up even if he doesn;t want you too so he can get used to the fact that nothing bad is going to happen.

Twilight is about the same age as Aeris and behaved exactly the same. He really doesn't like having his head or the tip of his tail touched so I slowly go for him around the middle and lift him up, making sure he's well supported so he feels safe. Generally then we put him on the bed and let him explore. For the first couple of months he would shoot away from me whenever I put a hand near him but actively sought out my husband (boo hiss) but in the past week he's suddenly stopped struggling to get away and will happily slide around in my hand, up my sleeve, around my neck etc.

It's just a case of giving them the opportunity for the penny to drop. Hope this helps, Sam
HannahB Posted - 16/11/2009 : 06:14:33
if you can get some small fuzzies then you could try her with one, you can get some that are only slightly bigger in size compared to pinkies so the gap from pinkie to fuzzie isnt as big, one of my little ones will only have one pinkie at a time - he doesnt show any interest in a second one but i know hes not big enough for a small fuzzie yet so im not too worried about him

with regard to handling i think like the others have said its just going to take time and patience, hatchlings always try and get away from you at first but eventually they do realise that being handled is a good thing and they soon settle down, might take a while but she'll get there
Kellog Posted - 16/11/2009 : 05:02:31
Bioshock is a lot more experienced than me regarding food so I would definitely follow his advice for that.

How long have you had her? When you first got her did you leave her for the one week settling in period with no handling or feeding? It does sound as though it is just going to take time. She obviously doesnt mind your smell if she lets you put your hand close to her in the viv without being bothered. It is just the handling and that requires patience. When you pick her up do it gently with no sudden movements, having had your hand in the viv for a bit so she is not startled. Do not be afraid to take her out from under her hide to get her out. You need to keep it to very small amounts of time, literally 5 minutes, to begin with...just letting her feed through your hands...holding her over your bed if you are worried about dropping her. Then gently return her to her viv. Over time you can then slowly build up your handling time and your confidence will grow as well, which will reassure her.

It would be very sad to have a snake you couldnt handle as that is so much part of the joy of owning them....I miss handling Kellog during the 48hrs after a feed when he must be left alone. And when I do have him out it is such a wonderful experience.

xxx
n/a Posted - 15/11/2009 : 20:38:26
I would say that at 4 months of age the snake should easily be able to handle a fuzzy which is the next size up from a pinky. That is unless the snake in question is rather small for its age. Do you know the approximate weight of the snake to give us an idea of size?

You really just need patience with the handling, given enough time and work by yourself she should become far more accepting of handling.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000