The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Few Questions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gaz_1989 Posted - 14/11/2009 : 17:55:55
Hi folks.

Just registered and posted in the welcome section.

I am hoping to get a baby corn in the near future, ive just got a few questions that my research hasnt yet answered...

1) How long will a baby corn have to stay in the little plastic tubs for? And when can it go into a small vivarium? Do you put the little plastic tub on a heat mat?

2) How long can you handle a corn for out of the vivariium? Could you sit and watch t.v whilst handling for example? Do they like being out of the vivarium?

3) What is the best method of feeding? I know alot of articles say dont feed in the vivarium? Do you put the corn into a bucket to feed? And what about putting it back into the viv after feeding as i know you sholdnt hadnle for 48 hrs after feeding?

Hope these arent silly questions, just things that ive got on my mind and care sheets havent answered,

Many Thanks

Gaz
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
PunkAsF82 Posted - 17/11/2009 : 09:43:49
umm not to rain on your parade taz, it's a good idea, but snakes dont see in colour
Gaz_1989 Posted - 17/11/2009 : 08:53:27
Thanks again for all the replys.

I like the idea of putting a piece of paper down at feeding time. That sounds like a good plan!

Cheers

Gaz
Taz Devil Posted - 16/11/2009 : 15:24:48
I feed Sid inside her vivarium, I put a sheet of A4 paper on the floor and wiggle the mouse on it. This prevents her from getting aspen on the mouse, I am also hoping that she will get the idea that if the floor is white it is feeding time.

I handle Sid almost every day. I change her water every day and whilst her viv is open I get her out, depending on what I am doing depends on the length of time she stays out. Usually for about 10 - 15 mins. Longer if my son is handling her as he tends to sit and watch tv with her.

I feed her every Thursday night and leave her for almost 48 hours to digest her mouse. Saturday night is usually the first night she comes out after a feed.
eeji Posted - 15/11/2009 : 18:34:13
all mine are fed inside their tubs and only handled while cleaning out :)
LittleMick Posted - 15/11/2009 : 02:12:19
Hey Gaz, here's a link to a thread about my Corn, Elijah, he is kept in an Exo Terra Large Flat Faunarium that Hannah mentioned, it is 18" x 12" x 6 1/2". The heat mat is just under a third the length of the faun, and is conected to a Habistst Mat Stat. I'll be keeping Elijah in there for 6-12 months depending on his rate of growth. As you can see there is 2 hides (1 cool, 1 warm), I also have a container to use as a humid hide for when he sheds. And a water bowl. Heat is measured via a digital thermometer.
There is another debate about keeping Corns in glass or plastic containers causing them to not feed, but I have disproved that theory as Elijah has had 2 feeds in there already. But, as a precaution, I put an Exo Terra Boston Fern in there (bendable), with a hanging silk vine along the back wall just to give him some cover.

As he is still a hatchling I handle him every day for a few minutes except the 2 day post feed. He's in his cool hide when I take him out and I take the whole thing out, remove the lid, the rub my fingers around the ridge just to give him some encouragement. After a few mins he goes back in the faun followed by the hide.

Most people feed in seperate containers, but Elijah's first 2 feeds were in his faun, I put a shallow feeding dish in there, pop the defosted pinky on the dish while it is still warm then he hoofs it down, lol.

Hope that helps.

Mick
hillzi Posted - 14/11/2009 : 20:36:08
Also, i'll get the sticky for you.

edit:/ http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133 there ya go, VERY useful from our very own corn snake Whizard!

Good points from you too ladies.

HannahB Posted - 14/11/2009 : 19:43:56
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz_1989

1) How long will a baby corn have to stay in the little plastic tubs for? And when can it go into a small vivarium? Do you put the little plastic tub on a heat mat?
a large exo terra faun is a good size for a hatchling, although you can use a RUB (really useful box) or a small glass viv, other members on here can give you other options although mine are in a exo terra faun each

2) How long can you handle a corn for out of the vivariium? Could you sit and watch t.v whilst handling for example? Do they like being out of the vivarium?
when they are young its best to start off with around 5mins maybe 4-5 times a week, and then slowly increasing it over time just so that they get used to you gradually, a good way to help them get used to you aswell without the stresses of them being handled is to put a small item of clothing eg a sock or glove with your smell on in the viv/faun with them

3) What is the best method of feeding? I know alot of articles say dont feed in the vivarium? Do you put the corn into a bucket to feed? And what about putting it back into the viv after feeding as i know you sholdnt hadnle for 48 hrs after feeding?
you can feed in or out of the viv, its up to you, i personally feed them outside on a lid or something similar so that i know they havent ingested any substrate, i then lift them either on the lid still or gently with my hands back into the viv/faun, small handling to move back to their housing is fine, as long as its quick and not stressful the snake should be fine, you can feed inside the viv/faun but if you do make sure you put something down (kitchen towel is good) to stop them from ingesting any substrate

Hope these arent silly questions, just things that ive got on my mind and care sheets havent answered,
no they are not silly - they are important things you should be asking about

hope this has helped
SexyBear77 Posted - 14/11/2009 : 19:36:22
Everything above is correct.

Handling should be built up gradually- start off with a couple of minutes building up slowly up to around 20 minutes. I have my 7 year old out for no more than around 25-30 minutes.

With handling, allows your snake to move freely over your hands- don't restrict the movement but do offer support. If you are unsure hold the snake over a bed or sofa incase you feel nervous about dropping it.
n/a Posted - 14/11/2009 : 18:55:55

Also: yes, you put the little plastic box on the heatmat, so that a third to half the box is on it. You may find you need to reduce that to a quarter or less if cold side temps are affected. Which brings me to thermostats: make sure the heatmat is connected to one. This is very important.

hillzi Posted - 14/11/2009 : 18:28:40
Good q's, i'll try my best!

1) well the general rule is length of the tub + width = max length of snake in there.

2) Yeah sure you can, leave them a week to settle in, and leave them for 48 hours after feeding.

3) You can put them in a secure box, wiggle the mouse in front of their nose with some feeding tongs, let go of the mouse and watch them eat, DONT EVER LEAVE THE SNAKE! He may enounter some problems feeding.

it's like walking to the sofa to sit down after a huge sunday lunch, instead of going for a marathon after a sunday lunch, a quick plonk in the viv is alright.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000