The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Biscuits NOT eating!! Help!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 08/11/2009 : 00:36:34
Tried feeding but he just dropped it as soon as I stopped moving it. He was due a feed yesterday but I wanted to leave him to settle in, which he still isn't doing. Why is he just ''killing'' them dropping it?[hes not really killing, as its not a live mouse, but he goes for it when I move it but lets go when its not moving]. Don't know what to do as I am quite new to this. Me and my partner [ terry moore,you maybe saw roccos pics if you spoke to terry] have a 7month old miami and everythings perfect with her, it couldn't have been simpler with her. Biscuit is 2 year old and I dont think hes had much handling as he is really scared even though hes in my bedroom with no noise and the kids and pets don't get anywhere near. Will he grow out of this with some patience and a little bit of love?

*edited by HannahB - moved to different section*
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 08/11/2009 : 18:24:00

Had the mouse been alive it wouldn't stop moving at the point of contact and flop suddenly, right? So when you move it, try to emulate what would happen in nature: mouse caught, but still moving, etc. Let go when you sense it's the right moment.

HannahB Posted - 08/11/2009 : 11:13:01
i second what has been said before, as he is 'older' its probably going to take him slightly longer to settle in as it is completely different to what hes gotten so used to,
a good suggestion is to put a piece of your clothing (a sock or a glove) that has your scent on in his viv, by doing this he will get used to your scent without you having to stress him out by handling him, id give him another week with this in the viv and then try him again with a feed.
also are the temps and everything ok? he has enough hides and stuff?

hope he settles in soon
Kellog Posted - 08/11/2009 : 10:16:01
I agree with everything Benjy has said so really cant add anything to it except some experience. When we first got Kellog (4yrs old) he had had a feed a couple of days before. We left him for the required week of settling in and then tried to feed him ...dangled mouse and then left it in viv overnight - no interest at all. Waited the 5 days required before his next feed and tried exactly the same thing with same outcome. Thats when I began getting worried and found this forum. They kept me sane and gave me advice - and I needed it! This went on for 13 weeks!! Each time I did the same thing...dangled mouse then left it in viv overnight, and it would still be there in the morning. I brained the mouse, made sure it was warm, and kept to the 5 day feeding schedule...but nothing changed his behaviour. Until one morning I did everything as normal....not really paying attention cos I didnt expect anything and he struck! I couldnt believe it - was shocked and felt the most excitement I have felt in a long time. The fast was over. I just hope that this reassures you that they can go for a long time without feeding and if he has been badly treated or fed in a certain way then it will take a while for him to trust you enough to feed.

One thing I would suggest (if possible) is weighing him. That way you can keep an eye on whether he is losing any weight. Kellog didnt for a while and then only lost a small amount before he started feeding, which he soon put back on.

I dont know what I would have done without this forum....and you need to lean on it too over this period to stop you panicing and give you the advice necessary.

I wish I could help more....but definitely try leaving the mouse in the viv overnight in case he doesnt want to eat while people are around.

Please keep us up to date....which I am sure you will.

xxx
n/a Posted - 08/11/2009 : 01:40:47
ATTITUDE: On the unsettled/scared/defensive side improving, yes is the short answer. A week is the suggested amount of time to leave them to settle, some will take less time, others more.

As he is 2 years old, think of it like a driving a car (bear with me, I haven't lost it!) after 2 years of passing, not having a instructor next to you telling you what to do you will pick up bad habits (I posted on your other thread so know about the viv defense etc.) So for the last 2 years he has got away with things and may have not had the best introduction in life..... He needs to gently but with authority be shown what to do. Try holding him (its ok to wear gloves if you're scared, if he bites it won't hurt) and just for 5 mins to start with and then gradually increase. Try what I first suggested on your other thread and let him come out to you by opening viv door. Just then confidently grasp him each time and he will learn all the antics of trying to scare you won't work and he will get used to you. I've had the same with a 2 year old royal python and he is coming round. He has gone from vicious strikes (he did bite me hard once) to more gentle mock-strikes, and now he is only a bit lary when he gets a whiff of his dinner. That turn around has come in 3 weeks! The trust needs to build with the both of you.

Keep at it, remember your the boss (don't act scared as he'll pick up on it) he'll learn it won't be neccessary to be defensive as there is no threat. Leave a worn t-shirt in his viv each night (take the old one out the following night etc.) for a week or so and he'll learn your scent. The more time he's at your place and his new surroundings he will calm down too.

FEEDING TIPS: First of all DO NOT panic. Its only been a week or perhaps two if he wasn't fed up until you bought him. Snakes can go VERY long times without food if THEY wish. Although it is our job to offer it to them at the correct intervals. If he misses a feed he will have to wait until the next time! (golden rule- don't try a day or two later, if he skips it he skips it).

1.When he's "taken" the food try keeping hold of it in the tongs for a couple more seconds till you see him really wrapping himself around it to "kill it" then release.

2. If the mouse is cold, warm it up with hot (but not boiling water) or hair dryer. They sense heat so it'll be more lifelike for him hotter.

3. Are you feeding him outside the viv? If you are, until he's eating properly, feed him in the viv. If you're feeding him in the viv, feed him out of it in a "feeding tub". It can be anything the snake can fit in (cardboard box, plastic box/RUB etc). Nothing fancy just something to put him in to eat. Then after the feed place the box next to viv and tilt the feeding box toward the viv and he'll go back in. I recommend the latter as there is no danger of him swallowing the substrate or associating your hand entering the viv with food.

4. Leave him in the viv, pop the mouse on an old washed butter lid (so not to get substrate on the mouse) and leave it indside for him to eat at his leisure and leave him undisturbed for a good couple hours. As he is still unsettled, he may want to be SURE no one is around before eating. This works well for my female corn as she is a VERY shy eater, so I feed her this way all the time now. Its not ideal as they wouldn't get meals on wheels in the real world but if it works then at least he's eating! HAHA

5. The above I have suggested from my own experience, here is the forum's guide to feeding problems which you may want to check out too:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3720

Hope all of this helps and sorry for the long reply but I know from experience what its like to try & do your best for a snake and they are still on edge!

Ben

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000