The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Worried about Karma

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
devilsmistress Posted - 04/11/2009 : 21:59:17
Ok well since I got her, She just seems a bit well dumb! She is very docile for a hatchling, and Ill explane evrything then hope for some reassuring advice!!

First feed with me took her 1.5 hours to eat!! Second was a bit quicker 2 pinkys took about an hour, so tried her on a fuzz this time,(yesterday) Took her 1.5 hours again!
She has shed with me once and she broke the head right off then the shed was like it was slit down the belly for an few inches, but it all came off. She is in shed again at the moment, so will see how this one goes!
Well she was fed yesterday as said above, and sitting in the bedroom I heard a bump, so went to check on her. She was upside down on the bottom of the viv not moving! Her head was very close to the water bowl. Im wondering if she was looking for somewhere to break the skin and fell from the top of the viv (I say viv its a little plastic fish tank) Well I pickerd her up and thought she was dead, but then she started to slowly move and in a couple of minutes she was back to her docile way. Checked for any damage or broken bones, nothing, thank god! Is it possable if she had been climbing, she had knocked herself out when she fell?
Is it worth seeing a vet? im not sure there would be much they could do anyway?
Matty said once to turn her on her back and see if she rights herself, which she does fine.
Any ideas on where to go from here?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 08/11/2009 : 18:20:14
quote:
Originally posted by devilsmistress

Ahe has shed And this time it as a clean shed no split down the belyy or missin head!! So lloks like she is back to her old self again!!

Good. May she stay that way. She's lovely, and you deserve some peace and quiet from worrying.

devilsmistress Posted - 08/11/2009 : 14:12:44
Ahe has shed And this time it as a clean shed no split down the belyy or missin head!! So lloks like she is back to her old self again!!
HannahB Posted - 08/11/2009 : 13:19:29
she probably stunned herself bless her,
glad shes ok
n/a Posted - 06/11/2009 : 14:03:33
Glad you phoned the vets (as I said before: thats what they're for). That makes sense I guess about the finger run thing. Hope he sheds soon ans promptly follows up with a comfortable feed!

Ben
devilsmistress Posted - 05/11/2009 : 22:57:20
Eye, Karma did not freeze, she went floppy!! like a bit of string over a finguer floppy!!
She seems back to her old self now, but has still not shed!
Kellog Posted - 05/11/2009 : 22:15:00
DM - I am so sorry for everything you and Karma have been through. Been off the forum for a few days so only just read about it. I can understand how scared and worried you were and probably are still. Sounds like you have done the right thing, contacting the vet and following his advice. As SB said hatchlings are lighter and smaller so hopefully she has got away without any injuries and just a big shock...which could explain her lying so still, as Eye said.

All you can do is wait and watch...I am sorry I cant offer you any more reassurance or advice....just be patient.

xxx
n/a Posted - 05/11/2009 : 17:29:39

DM, thanks for the good news, I've been thinking about this ever since I saw your post last night. Glad it all turned out ok, but still want to offer a thought: you know how they freeze when they feel threatened and there is nowhere to hide, I am wondering if Karma, having given herself a great surprise by dropping from the top, just froze in instinctive response to any potential threat?

In any case, I hope from now on she doesn't give you any scary moments.

devilsmistress Posted - 05/11/2009 : 15:33:16
Thanks guys! I did Phone the vet up the road this morning, he told be to run my fingers down her each side then top and bottom, to see if she flinched or moved quick, which she never! So he said it would be a waste of both our time and my money to bring her in as there would be nothing he could have done, and the fact she did not flinch the chances of her having anything broken is very slim. He said it's possable she had falen and stunned or knocked herself out. Im to wait untill she has shed, Do the fingure run again, and see how she feeds, any problems give him a ring.
So it has put my mind at ease a bit more now! All I can do is keep an eye on her for now.
SexyBear77 Posted - 05/11/2009 : 15:20:38
Tbh, whilst you may feel bad (though it wasnt your fault) she is only a hatchling, and didnt fall very far. I say that she is only a hatchling as tiny snakes, lighter and smaller, suffer less from the effects of a tumble than say, an adult royal. She was probably just a bit shocked.

If it was me, I would just keep a close eye on her for a couple of days.
n/a Posted - 05/11/2009 : 13:41:31
Some people would argue: "if you weren't in the room and didn't hear anything, then came in the room a few hours later and she looked ok would you have known anything happened?" And "they fall in the wild and no one is there to look after them."

But my view on it is you DID heard her thud & from her reations, suggests, that she's taken a fall, (possibly even lost consciousness) so if it were me I'd feel gulity if anything happened and you did nothing. I'd take her to the vets asap just to be sure (thats what they're there for).

Thery are quite robust & I know you said it doesn't seem one is broken, they have dozens of ribs so you can't be sure unless its xrayed.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000