The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Feeding ??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Paul Hume Posted - 03/11/2009 : 22:59:19
Hi everyone,

I finally got my digital scales through and started weighing Tiny, she is currently about 3 & Half months old and last weigh in was a little over 9g. I have read somewhere else on the forum that their snake is 3 months old and weights double that Tiny does.

I feed her 1 pinkie every 7 days and she's never missed a feed. I bought her when she was about 8 weeks old. I am worried that I may be under feeding her or something. In all other aspects she seems to be in perfect health, very active, handles and sheds well.

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 04/11/2009 : 21:35:05
letting them grow slowly is much more natural and healthy for them. a lot of people (including myself) want their females in particular to get up to breeding weight as soon as they're old enough, and some people go the other extreme - power-feeding for maximum weight gain - not a healthy regime!

personally i'd go for feeding a pinkie every 5 days, then when your snake is used to that try 2 pinkies per feed
n/a Posted - 04/11/2009 : 00:05:40
Well said once again Kellog! Yes i'd second Bioshock's suggestion to try him a pinkie every five days and weigh again in a month or so's time. Let us know too!
Kellog Posted - 03/11/2009 : 23:32:04
We all worry about our snakes Paul, especially when they are our first ones and we have no previous experience. We just want/need to do what is best for our snake....they are our responsibility. I drove this forum mad when I first got Kellog, cos he decided not to feed and that went on for 13 weeks. They kept me sane, told me why it was probably happening and what to do....and when he finally took that mouse (with me not expecting him to of course) I dont think I have felt that excited in years!

So please, never feel silly or neurotic or as though you are worrying too much - because you are not!

xxx
n/a Posted - 03/11/2009 : 23:30:18
It sounds like everything is ok then, i would not worry too much about the weight thing... just keep an eye on the weight and make sure she does not lose anything.

For now though i would suggest you feed every 5 days instead of every 7. It will certainly not be over feeding.

Oh, and what size pinky do you use in relation to the snakes body? It is generally accepted that the pinky should be slightly wider than the widest part of the snake.
Paul Hume Posted - 03/11/2009 : 23:20:51
There is a bump in her tummy, (Pic Below) once she has eaten and about 5 - 8 mins for her to eat sounds about right. I worry allot about these things and she's my first snake so still trying to get things right.

on second thought, if you click the link below it goes to my October pictures of Tiny, starting half way down on the second row is a series of pics from one of her feeds and shows the bump nicely.

http://www.brain-ache.co.uk/gallery/2009/oct/index.shtml

n/a Posted - 03/11/2009 : 23:14:56
You seem to be feeding her about the correct amount seeing as she is so small. You could move to every 5 days as this is perfectly fine for a hatchling.

When you feed her do you see a nice bump in her tummy? If not you may need to move to a larger pinky.

About how long does it take her to eat the pinky from the time she firsts gets hold of it? It should take about 5 - 8 minutes on the correct size pinky. If she eats it much faster you can try moving to a larger pinky.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000