The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Thoughts on probing?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MacSpud Posted - 03/11/2009 : 14:41:51
Hi,

I was just wondering peoples thoughts on probing/sexing?

At the moment I'm planning to get my corn probed at the reptile shop when it goes in for boarding over Xmas. I don't like calling it an "it" and really want to know it's sex but I'm a little worried of the stress to the snake. It'll be just over 4 months old when it goes in for boarding/probing.

Cheers,

John
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 05/11/2009 : 21:53:18
at 18g it's probably still ok to be popped........
eeji Posted - 04/11/2009 : 22:54:46
my big amel boy really didn't like being probed and clenched like crazy :D
lee2308 Posted - 04/11/2009 : 22:20:36
all the snakes i have sen probed have not even flinched a muscle
a33272 Posted - 04/11/2009 : 15:52:46
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Sorry to disagree! but I think that probing must stress snakes. I wouldnt like having something shoved up my privates parts by someone, and I would understand what was going on.

youve never been to a gum clinic then lol
alex09 Posted - 04/11/2009 : 12:24:21
i think if you are plaing on breeding you should get it done. but if your not i dont think it matters what sex it is :)
eeji Posted - 03/11/2009 : 21:43:32
i pop hatchlings and they don't even seem to notice it happening, its over so quickly :)
SexyBear77 Posted - 03/11/2009 : 19:59:00
ooooohh *sings the Twilight zone music*
matty18714 Posted - 03/11/2009 : 19:58:10
Yeah, 'spose we will never know.
SexyBear77 Posted - 03/11/2009 : 19:56:19
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Well, seeing as it can be very hard to tell if an animal such as a snake is stressed, your quite possibly right. However, I would probably say that it was only stressed if it started squirming, and none of the snakes I have probed have done so.

Good point Matty, but many animals stay very still when feeling threatened as movement could trigger an attack.
matty18714 Posted - 03/11/2009 : 19:54:12
Well, seeing as it can be very hard to tell if an animal such as a snake is stressed, your quite possibly right. However, I would probably say that it was only stressed if it started squirming, and none of the snakes I have probed have done so.
SexyBear77 Posted - 03/11/2009 : 19:44:18
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

A snake can be sexed from any age. Probing has no set lower age limit but the snake must be big enough so that the probe wont damage the snake. I wouldnt worry about stress, as long as its done correctly it wont bother the snake.

Sorry to disagree! but I think that probing must stress snakes. I wouldnt like having something shoved up my privates parts by someone, and I would understand what was going on. I know some people think that other animals arent this intelligent but I wouldnt get a snake probed unless absolutely necessary eg: breeding, co-habiting etc.
Tizzy Posted - 03/11/2009 : 17:19:23
Having it done while it's in for boarding sound like great idea - no extra journey or extra stress for snakey and if your man at the rep shop knows what he's doing then it should be pretty stress free for snakey too.
MacSpud Posted - 03/11/2009 : 16:50:01
Thanks for the feedback, the snake is around 3 months old at the minute and currently weighs 18g
When I bought it the same guy in the shop said he could sex it there and then but preferred to leave it for a bit if possible. I guess I'll trust him when I take it in.
matty18714 Posted - 03/11/2009 : 16:30:21
A snake can be sexed from any age. Probing has no set lower age limit but the snake must be big enough so that the probe wont damage the snake. I wouldnt worry about stress, as long as its done correctly it wont bother the snake.
n/a Posted - 03/11/2009 : 14:46:22
I think probing or popping is fine as long as the person doing it is experienced (in your case he would be). I'm not sure about the age of yours though..... @ 4 months he/she may be still too small/young, therefore could be damaging.

Someone with more experience on probing will hopefully answer soon but IMO your snake is too young. I think they should be at least a year old. I could be wrong.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000