The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Ministat question please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 01/11/2009 : 11:22:38
Hi guys n gals,

I'll speak quietly, in case there are any post halloween hangovers amongst you readers

Really noob question on my ministat 100 please if i can. I bought one of these devices to fit to my vivarium and the instructions said to position the sensor approx 9 inches, (225mm), from the ground to ensure correct temperature monitoring.

It has only just dawned on me, that, isnt it supposed to be reading the ground temp, not the air temp?

As the heat mat is directly under 1/3 of the viv, surely this area is going to be a lot hotter than 9 inches above it?

Please advise if you can, i hope i haven't installed my ministat incorrectly and have been cooking poor chuie :

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Chimp276 Posted - 01/11/2009 : 14:56:13
Yeah the probe should be measuring the temperature of the substrate as this is what you snake will be getting its heat from!!!
n/a Posted - 01/11/2009 : 14:16:40
HAHA! No probs. Always better to ask & instructions aren't always comprehensive.
n/a Posted - 01/11/2009 : 14:05:32
Ah so this is indeed another case of RTFM i guess lol.

Thanks for the mat also, always interesting to know, was bugging me a bit.
n/a Posted - 01/11/2009 : 13:25:09
No. the larger the mat is the more watts is required to get the same temp. i.e. a small mat will be about 7w, a medium 22w and a large mat will be 40w. They'll all heat the same, its only that they'll need more power to reach the same temp the bigger they are.
n/a Posted - 01/11/2009 : 13:22:32
Yes mats heat only what is in contact with them. If you have a microclimate mini stat 100 you'll see a one line instruction on the back page saying if used with a mat to place on top of where the mat is.

Where you see stats refer to placing the probe in middle of the viv (height etc. etc.) its to measure the air or ambient temperature, this is only relevant to ceramic/ infra red bulb heating as they work by raising the ambient temperature.
n/a Posted - 01/11/2009 : 13:19:01
thanks guys I think i will move the sensor so that it is just resting in one corner of the viv on the substrate.

Am i right in assuming that the more Watts of power in a heat mat, the hotter it will become?

Bilbo Posted - 01/11/2009 : 12:17:44
i also have the probe fixed to the side just above the substrate.
SexyBear77 Posted - 01/11/2009 : 11:24:08
I have a ministat 100 and have the probe lying on top of the substrate in the viv. your'e right, ground temp is the important one.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000