The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Two Questions in one post.......

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 31/10/2009 : 22:18:29
Hello all. I've got a couple of feeding questions....

First one is; I fed Cinco his 2 pinkie dinner today (which he wolfed down in seconds) and within a couple of hours he was cruising round the faun' with barely a bump to be seen. He was rooting and nosing about like it was food time. His last 6 feeds have been double pinkies. Do you think it may be time to move him up to fuzzies or shall I offer him 3 pinkies? I can weigh and measure him tomorrow if this helps.

The other feeding question is; I've been working out feeds and both the snakes will be due food on Christmas Day but I'm going away from Christmas Eve til 2 days after Boxing Day. I've got a friend coming in to walk/feed the dog and cats but I know she'll have a cow if I ask her to feed Cinco and Sadie! Should I feed them before I go or can I leave them til I get back? It's only 3 days over so I guess they'll be okay. Your thought would be appreciated.

Cheers, bb xx
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Chimp276 Posted - 01/11/2009 : 14:58:56
Feeding too many of a small prey item increases the amount of fat in a snakes diet! Moving up enures ur snake gets all the goodness it needs!!
And i wud just wait till you get back, ur snake will be fine!!
n/a Posted - 31/10/2009 : 23:25:18
Yes to cement what Hawkeye said, I'd never go past 2 of any size prey in a single feed. Go up a size. People's opinion may differ for the reason why but mine is that your snake would be eating 3 skeletons of prey whereas feeding the correct size is only one skeleton. So feeding 3 prey- though it may make the weight up to the snake's 10-15% body weight target per feed, there will be too much bone in the diet & therefore less meat.

Especially as you said Cinco's belly barely shows the pinkies. You've probably read as long as the pprey doesn't exceed 1.5 x the widest part of the snake you'll be fine.
n/a Posted - 31/10/2009 : 22:55:59
Thanks Hawkeye, I was sure I'd seen a guide but I didn't fancy a trawl through the threads (I'm being lazy, sorry ).

And never fear, my friend is happy to change the water, she's not scared of the snakes (she's even stroked one of them) but she's very very grossed out by the frozen mice!
n/a Posted - 31/10/2009 : 22:34:43

No, don't go with 3 pinkies, go with a fuzzy. Mouse size guide as appears here in the forums:

1 Pinkie (2-3g) every 5-6 days (Snake = 4-15g)
2 Pinkies (3-4g) every 5-6 days (Snake = 16-23g)
Small Fuzzy (5-7g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 24-30g)
Fuzzy (7-9g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
Fluff/Hoppers (9-12g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
Small Adult/Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
Adult (20-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)

Re feeding over Xmas: I reckon they'll be ok either way, but something else on my mind: will your friend be able to change their water? I'd hate to think they won't have a change of water for 4 days .

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000