The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Feeding problems

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 28/10/2009 : 19:57:27
Hi

My parents are having problems feeding their butter corn, they have had her back to the shop who showed them how to force feed which they have to do for the past 3 or 4 feeds but she still shows no sign of interest. Before taking back they had tried all the usual methods.

I have heard of appetite stimulants but don't know what they are called or where to get hold of them, they are now getting worried as she is still only a baby.

Thanks in advance for any help x
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 29/10/2009 : 03:09:22
Sounds like you just have to give her time....at least you are getting something down her. I dont know anything about non-feeding little ones like HannahB and Hawkeye, but I have followed their stories and I can imagine how stressful it can be. My adult went on a 13 week fast from the moment we bought him.....I dont think I have ever felt the excitement I felt when he finally fed before.

Fill us in on as much info as possible about set up and snake history....but also dont panic and be patient. Are you weighing her to monitor if she is losing weight? Might be a good idea to.

xxx
n/a Posted - 29/10/2009 : 01:05:48
We have done tail etc and when force fed she will keep small pinky down,altho last time had to cut in half, but we want her to do it herself!
n/a Posted - 29/10/2009 : 01:02:12
Temps good both ends.....the other 3 corns are feeding fantastically!

They have 6 corns in all and this is the 1st time they've had probs!

Poppy is approx 16 wks old and is quite alot smaller than the new addition who is now 10 wks.
HannahB Posted - 28/10/2009 : 21:03:00
another quick question.. how old is snakey and what are you feeding her?
n/a Posted - 28/10/2009 : 20:57:44

We too are dealing with a non feeding baby so I know what it can feel like. Still assist-feeding him, but today he showed signs he might be getting the point after all. It took longer than 3-4 assist feeds and I have no guarantee that he won't need assistance next time. In fact, because of what he was doing I was getting the idea it was more of a question of not quite knowing what to do, if that's possible at all, rather than not wanting to. So perhaps it's just a question of persisting a bit longer with your parents' snake.

However, it's best to check the basics first, so same as HannahB: What are the temps at both ends and how are they monitored? How many hides? (Any chance of a picture of her setup?)

HannahB Posted - 28/10/2009 : 20:15:51
right having just had a non feeding baby myself i know how worrying it can be..
first off what are the temps like in her viv/faun? it might be too hot or too cold,
secondly has she got enough hides so she feels secure?

in the past has she fed ok?
when you say all the usual methods have been what were they?
im assuming braining, splitting the side, blasting with a hairdryer, warming up over hot water..

also might be worth trying..
dipping in an egg yolk, dipping in small amount of marmite - didnt work for me but a friend of a friend swears by it!
chopping it up? my non feeder recently started taking tiny bits of pinkie - am talking less than quarters simply because her neck was so small - she has a neck smaller than a pencil size..!

also has the shop tried her with a small piece of mouse tail.. because of the shape of them they are easier to swallow - it was what my shop tried first with my girl and it also worked for Hawkeye on here

hope some of this helps

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000