The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 First handling

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 16:54:15
In a couple of days, I'll be able to handle Bill for the first time. I'm super excited! I know not to do it very long, just a few minutes, and to wash my hands before and after and all that. But I have some questions.

First, how likely is it that he will actively try to escape? He's two months old, if that makes any difference. He seems moderately shy in the tank, but not terrified of me; I'd say about half the time he retreats into his hide when he sees me, and half the time he just watches me and flicks his tongue.

Second, is there a specific way you're supposed to pick up a snake? With cats and dogs and so on, people always show you the right way to do it, but I'm not really sure how to pick up a tiny snake correctly. I assume I should either let him crawl onto me on his own or get him behind the head (he will need to be picked up even if I don't really handle him, because I'll need to move him to and from his feeding tank, and I don't want to hurt him).

And last, what's the best way to seal off gaps under doors and furniture in case he does get away from me? I was thinking towels, but I'm not sure if he'd be able to wriggle under them. The room he'll be in has only one door out and one closet. The biggest worry I have is that he'll get under the dresser and refuse to come out. As a baby, my chinchilla once went into a recliner and stayed there for hours. It was apparently great fun for him, but was insanely stressful for me and my parents, and I'd really like to avoid a repeat.

Thanks! And if there are any other tips or something I've missed, just let me know. I'm trying to cover all the bases.
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 03/11/2009 : 21:55:02
Sounds like you did the right think Chinchillazilla, and it is great news that Bill has eaten. You are right when you say that you have many more opportunities - years worth of feeding! I am assuming you know not to handle Bill for 48 hours after he has eaten, to give him time to digest the mouse properly. You now have the poo to look forward to!!!

When will he be due his next feed?

xxx
n/a Posted - 03/11/2009 : 17:16:03
Update: Bill ate last night. I feel a lot better now that I know I wasn't doing something catastrophically wrong.

He didn't seem interested in the mouse when I was waving it around with the tongs, and then I accidentally dropped it on him because I can't figure out how to hold it well with the tongs. He was annoyed and slithered away, and I was like, Well, I've ruined it this week, no one likes having food dropped on his head. But I left him alone with the mouse and an hour or so later, mouse was gone and Bill had a big lump. :D

I was a little disappointed that I didn't see it, but I'll have many opportunities, so I'm not too concerned. I just hope he ate it in the little tub and didn't drag it out into the substrate or something. :/ I decided that maybe my trying to move him to the other tank was what stressed him out last time, so I just left him alone.
hillzi Posted - 29/10/2009 : 13:23:13
I'd leave him at least 5 days. Try wriggling the pinkie in front of his nose with some tongs. this will make it appear to be alive, and scales should be more acustomed to strike. Also try to gently wipe a smidge of blood on the snakes nose, so he will get the scent a lot stronger ;)
n/a Posted - 29/10/2009 : 13:20:31
I left the mouse overnight and, although he did come out eventually, he never seemed to actually look at it, at least when I checked on him briefly. He flicked his tongue a lot, so I assume he knew it was there, but it was in the same spot this morning. I threw it out.

Any suggestions on how long I should wait before I try again? The most annoying part for me is that he seems like he's been really hungry the last few days. He's been very restless.
n/a Posted - 29/10/2009 : 13:19:12
I find that aslong as I keep Acorn in my hands off the floor she is fine but if I let her get about half her body onto any flat/solid surface she sometimes tries to escape.
Also when I first started handling her I wouldn't let her get too far away from me as if I went to pick her back up she would get scared and shoot forwards trying to get away.
I'm sure he will soon carm down :)
n/a Posted - 29/10/2009 : 09:53:27
don't be disheartened. leave him for a bit then try again. i've got two corns and they were completely different the first was really calm and chilled, didn't mind being picked up so it came as a shock with the second who moved like grease lightening. in time he's calmed down and is much calmer now. the advice is good about holding him over the viv or a box just in case, cos they can really shift when they're little.
hillzi Posted - 29/10/2009 : 09:40:38
He wil be able to manage it, as long as it isn't 1.5 x the max width of his budy. He does that, will skit around but once you get a firm grip, but gently, and get him out he will be fine. Just as long as you hold him over your bed or something.

Being young he will be a wriggly little sod, so just in case he slips free, like i said, he wont plummet to his scaley death.

Mine is a yearling, and when i got him out the bath his whole body was coiling and he struck at me, whilst in mid air. Guess he doesnt like water. lol.
n/a Posted - 29/10/2009 : 04:53:43
Well, it didn't go well. Ultimately, I couldn't pick him up because he was too fast and kept trying to climb out where I had the lid open. So to feed him, I put a pinky in a little tupperware container in the warm side of the viv, but now he's terrified and he won't go near it at all.

Plus, I think the pinky is too big for him. They only had one size of pinky available at Petsmart, and it looks like it might be twice as wide as his head. Poor Bill.
Kellog Posted - 27/10/2009 : 21:52:38
Excellant advice Hillzi, well done!! ;-) xxx
hillzi Posted - 27/10/2009 : 13:38:00
I just go in there, show him my hands and normally he slithers onto the palm of my hand then i lift him out;

OR If he's playing 'scaleys hard to get' i just go in like a digger and scoop him out. I mean that litteraly, i dont go in a grab him out. I end up with half the contents of the aspen over me, but snakeys not hurt ;)

I sat down let him slither over me, or bend my fingers over creating a little tunnel for him to slither through - i have a good grip and wont drop him. but he's not getting crushed. its also advasiable not to stand up whilst handling, if he does wriggle free a fall could seriously hurt him, or even kill him. If he wants to wriggle losen off your grip a little bit, you dont want him thrashing around in your hands but not lose enough so he can escape.

Let us know how it goes ;)
KITTYCAT Posted - 27/10/2009 : 11:50:02
just let him run through your hands they r very fast when young make sur they r no gaps in your viv mine both escaped as hatchlings but it was slidind doors i had n had to put draft excluder up the inside. good luck
Kellog Posted - 27/10/2009 : 03:34:18
I know Josh says not to hesitate, but neither must you rush it....just be calm and pick him up avoiding his head and tail. Let him slither through your hands, feeding him from one to the other....keeping a light hold all the time. If you are worried about him getting away from you by slipping out of your hands maybe find a large plastic box and hold him over that while you handle him. Just dont be nervous and be very patient....it will take quite a while for him to get used to being handled so dont worry if he doesnt settle down quickly. xxx
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 20:40:43
when u open the door dont hesitate atall he will sense it, i did that once becuase i was struck at previously, sometimes they feel dominant if you hesitate and wil carry on so just scoop him like the others said confidently once a day for a bit increasingthe time but obviously not after feeding
Chimp276 Posted - 26/10/2009 : 19:33:42
If you are scared and timid while holding the snake will freak out lol! Just pick it up gently but purposefully and then lightly hold it and let it slide through you hands!
HannahB Posted - 26/10/2009 : 18:49:27
if you are worried about him getting away from you then hold him still inside his housing..that way if he does get away from you he will hopefully land back in his housing..
just be confident about it and go for it
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 17:50:56

How likely is it that he will actively try to escape? 100% certainty, I'd say . Tiny as he is, he's exremely fast so you don't want to take any chances.

Just lift him gently but not hesitantly. NOT from right behind his head. If you can, just scoop him up. If you can't, then hold the body, not any of the ends.

To avoid another chinchilla incident just don't give him the opportunity to slither off you.

Have fun!

n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 17:35:31
Pick him up from mid body swift and sure. He is going to want to get away till he gets used to you and understands your not a threat.

Only started handling mine for a week or two. He is still bit weary when lifting, but once out he settles down.

I wouldnt let him on the floor for a bit tbh any wee hole and he will be in there quick as a flash bud. Work the handling up from a few min too longer as he gets used to life outside the viv and increases in size.

Someone with more experience will prob chip in there comments in a bit and correct me if im wrong.

Just what I have picked up from other comments. Good luck and enjoy.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000