The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 First set up: size question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 00:45:34
Sorry if this has been covered, I've had a glance through and not seen anything covering this quite yet. I've read that it can cause stress to a young snake to put them in a viv that is too big, but am not keen on the idea of buying multiple set ups as the snake grows (in just invites me to fill the old set ups with more animals, and seriously, I don't need any extra temptation!)
Is it ok to start off with a set up suitable for an adult and simply partition it, extending the area available as the snake grows?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 16:11:15
Yer I bet it is. I'm self employed (boing accountant) and work is thin as some self employed ppl who need accountants gone back to security of jobs! Hopefully pick up again soon.

Got my fingers crossed for you getting one (please email me if you do incase you post pictures and I don't spot your name) & hope your BF finds a job soon.
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 16:05:15
Yes that makes perfect sense, thanks

I'm fairly sure we'll end up with a wee snakey by xmas, I just have to keep my fingers crossed that the bf is able to find a job, the employment situation in Birmingham is dire at the moment!
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 15:54:15
Well if you want a final viv of say 3x1x1 feet then a 18x12 mat would be perfect (between a 1/2 & 1/3). If this dwarfs the first RUB then just place the RUB over part of the mat that you'd need to create a hot end. Hope that is clear?

Yer my GF is a meat eater and she's squeamish bout the prey! Mind you I just got a royal python so his rat prey are pretty huge in comparrsion to wee' pinkies you'd be feeding your baby!

A good way to convince him is to show him snakes at a pet store or get him to read the care sheet on here. Failing that tell him if you allowed a corn he can have the geckos when you save enough pounds after!
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 15:19:30
Hi Ben! Hehe yeah, I wasn't sure I'd be able to when I was first asked if I wanted to help, especially as I've always kept rodents (rats, hamsters, chichillas, mice and gerbils over the years) but it doesn't bother me.
And hey, if I have a squemish day I'll just get the bf to deal with it

So basically get a heatmat that's 1/2 the size of the RUB then it should theoretically cover around a third of the viv which is about right?
Oh god, I'm mentally building this set up, but actually getting little snakey is months away and not even a dead cert yet as the bf is still hoping for geckos instead! (I'd go for both if I could but I figure take it one step at a time, it's way too easy to fill a house with animals!)
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 15:12:53
Exactly. Just make sure if you buy a large heat mat, with view to using on a bigger viv later, it covers only upto half the RUB as the snake will need to thermoregulate (cool down when he is hot so he'll go to the cool end and vice versa).

BTW just read your "hello" post... Hi Kelly I'm Ben. New to the site but had Legless (my corn!) for 10/11 years. I'm a veggie too! People ask me "how can you be veggie & feed a snake" all the time ;->
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 15:08:07
Ok that makes sense.
And I'm guessing the equipment like heat mat and thermometer and stat can be used again once I upgraded to a viv if I went down the RUB route, so really the only difference in having a smaller initial set up would be the cost of the RUB itself?
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 15:03:04
Yer I got ferrets too! Little so-and-so's!

The heat mat & thermostat will be on the outside of the RUB (outside on glass viv's & RUBs, inside on wooden ones) so no hole for the cable will be needed. Thermometer will be inside but if you get a digital one (recommended) the wire is thin so only need the tiniest of holes (same size as air holes).

Thats the easiest way. Although normally you'd want the probe for stat in the viv, because you'll have a thermometer measuring heat in viv you would just adjust thermostat accordingly.

In a sentence... you only need air holes which are too small and a proper RUB's handles lock the lid so there will be no escaping!
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 14:52:55
What about wires and the such like for heating? I ask cos my ex bf's brother had a cornsnake who managed to escape from that kind of setup through the hole he'd cut for one of the cables, it didn't look big enough for escaping through, but I'm guessing snakes are like ferrets in that sense lol
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 14:49:20
Yes that would be fine. Definately in my experience go for a wooden viv with glass front instead of a all round glass (just my preference). They hold heat better & make the snake feel less exposed than glass vivs.

Or you can go for RUBs (Really Useful Boxes), plastic boxes with lids. See this post:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6132

They're cheap to buy and paired with a on/off thermostat (Microclimate 100) and heat mat is ideal while they're young & increase in size as they grow.

It'll be cheaper in the long run to buy a "final" viv and partition it as you said, but obviously the initial setup cost of a RUB is going to be cheaper as you will be buying a snake (obviously), stat, heat mat, hides, substrate, water bowl, prey.....

Hope this helps.
Bilbo Posted - 26/10/2009 : 13:07:30
that would be fine.
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 12:30:19
OK, not worthy of its own thread, but is this the kind of thing I should be after? I just had a peek on ebay and it's in my area and seems pretty cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vivarium-36-L-x-16-H-x-15-W-Reptiles-Snake-Lizard_W0QQitemZ260492819567QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects?hash=item3ca694fc6f
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 12:17:11
Great, thanks for the quick replies guys...not that it was urgent, but curiosity nags at me lol

*off to go look at piccies of cute snakes that I can't afford yet*
HannahB Posted - 26/10/2009 : 08:32:51
partitioned vivs are fine, just make sure you pack it out with hides ect so they feel safe
also make sure that they cant get into the sectioned off bit
Kehhlyr Posted - 26/10/2009 : 02:15:23
A few people on here have partitioned their vivs, so that should be fine.
Bilbo Posted - 26/10/2009 : 00:53:49
i have bilbo in a 36" viv at the moment he is just over 5 mouths old and he seems very happy in there. but i have loads of hides and other bits and bobs and loads of plants so there is more cover then open space. bilbo has never mist a feed and has started to come out onto my hand when i open the viv now witch is really good. hope this helps.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000