The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 First feed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 25/10/2009 : 15:30:42
Hi,

I bought a corn snake yesterday morning, and the breeder said that this snake feeds in two days time. He said it would be grand to feed him regardless of only having 2 and half days to settle in to his new environment.

Is it a good idea to proceed tomorrow evening and feed him anyway?

Thanks in advance,

U.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 26/10/2009 : 04:10:25
Welcome to the forum Urema! You have found a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus.

1. Definitely leave your snake for 1 week from when you got it. This gives it a chance to get over the stress of the move and get used to its new surroundings. Each day change its water and straighten its substrate without going near it, that was it gets used to your smell without feeling threat.

2. Make sure you read the care sheet on here, lots of information for new snake owners. You will find on other sites lots of conflicting advice and information, but it happens exceedingly rarely on here - the good thing about this forum is that it is discussed reasonably with all opinions given fairly....it is then a case of you making up your own mind about what you think is right because in the end you are the snake owner.

2. No question is regarded as a silly question on here.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too!

3. I hope you got as much info about your snake when you got it....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog poos!!

4. Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! Then 'Those who know' will be able to give you some advice as to what they may be.

Does it have a name yet?
Chimp276 Posted - 25/10/2009 : 19:04:47
Leave it for a week, this will give your snake time to settle in and feel secure in his new home! after a week give it a fedd, then wait 2 days before handling! We are all waiting for pics lol!
n/a Posted - 25/10/2009 : 16:43:23
quote:
Originally posted by urema

Ok thanks.

Yea no bother...his morph is quite stunning.

U.

Oh! Now I really want to see his pics! Btw, I have a hatchling here who had gone on an eight and a half weeks fast, Kellog's adult snake decided at some point that thirteen weeks were an acceptable gap between meals, and both snakes are now totally fine. Two weeks will be totally ok, your snakey will appreciate the opportunity to settle in first.

n/a Posted - 25/10/2009 : 15:50:56
Ok thanks.

Yea no bother...his morph is quite stunning.

U.
HannahB Posted - 25/10/2009 : 15:43:40
id leave him to settle in for a week first - in the wild they can go for long periods without feeding so two weeks wont be a problem
look forwards to piccies once hes settled in
n/a Posted - 25/10/2009 : 15:41:05
He is in a new vivarium....so its fine not feeding him for 2 weeks?

Thanks,

U.
n/a Posted - 25/10/2009 : 15:36:23

Is he still in the same box he has lived in up until now?

If you're already transferred him to his new viv, leave him for a week to settle in.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000