The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 male/female differences??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 25/10/2009 : 00:12:48
hi guys, some of you may have read my old post, about originally buying 2 baby corns and being told they were both female and could be housed together..? and later seeing one strike for the other,bla bla anyway i moved them in to seperate houses since, and they are fine. however they both seem very timid? so much so that il go to take one out and if snakes could run they would run away! lol, they just dont want to be handled??
also some of you suggested that it sounded like i actually had a male and a female, which seems fitting to their previous behaviour, and have noticed recently that the male seems a lot more active, hes always out and about at night time, clumbing through leaves etc, but i hardly ever see my beautiful female? do they just differ in personality/??
thanks
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hillzi Posted - 26/10/2009 : 08:56:31
There are physical differences between corn's on the outside of their body. Like pythons the males have spurs, this is not true for corns.

You will have to get them popped/probed by a well qualified, reputable person. Try ask in your local shop if they can probe or if they have someone who can. :)

Very good responses, perhaps its taking a little longer than normal to settle in, which is too be expected.
Did you wait a week to handle her, so she could settle in?
HannahB Posted - 25/10/2009 : 20:44:53
i think your possible female is just taking a bit longer to settle in..
just take things slowly with her - maybe put a small piece of clothing with your smell on in her housing so that she can get used to you better.. she will settle eventually but shes just taking her time.. be constant with her and if she tags you or slithers away just keep trying
gingerpony Posted - 25/10/2009 : 20:35:44
as hatchie it takes time for them to get used to being handled and picked up so it's important to keep handling sessions short and pleasant for them.

as a very sweeping generalisation i find my girls less active than my boys but i'm sure that's not strictly true for them all, lol, however they do have their own personalities and will react according to a previous good or bad experience too
Kellog Posted - 25/10/2009 : 02:18:55
I can remember your last post, but not how long ago it was. Could it be that they are still settling in? What size vivs/fauns are they in? Maybe she is scared because it is too big. Am assuiming you have the 2 hides, hot and cold ends with temps right etc? Are they eating ok? What were they like about being caught and handled before you seperated them?
It may be that the female is just taking longer settling in, she will be timid beause she will have been extra stressed by being bullied by the male all her life. All you can do is make sure all her conditions are right and then be patient and calm with the handling....putting your hand slowly into viv, calmly taking her our, not showing any fear, no sharp movements, only keep her out for a very short period of time and then you can slowly put her back. Build up the time she is outside the viv from minutes very very slowly depending on how she is adapting to being handled.
I have no experience of hatchlings, but I am sure another forum member with that experience will be able to answer your question better.

xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000