The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Agression

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 24/10/2009 : 19:55:53
occasionally my corn snake goes through little phases of doing the S-curve at anyone that goes near the tank and has struck at me twice but not grabbed me just hit against me? she is normally the most dosile , calm, sounds stupid but affectionate/loves to be out with people snake you could imagine, this doesnt matter that much but i would like to know why she does this?

*moved out of Intros by GP*
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 27/10/2009 : 03:45:08
Glad to hear you seem to have worked out the aggression issue. I do hope it is the ferrets....do you handle the ferrets then go to handle your snake? Do you wash your hands before you handle it? Even just the smell of ferret on your clothes would probably be enough to set it into defence mode....so it will attack. Try changing and washing before you handle and see if that changes its behaviour. xxx
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 19:43:28
Cool good to hear. It sounds like it could be the ferrets! Just try handling either the snake first or on different days! Yer technology not all cracked up to be?!
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 17:28:10
Fingers crossed she hasnt done it for a while :)
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 17:27:36
yeah that was quite reassuring actually because i have wondered if it was the ferrets! which i hoped it was. Yeah i checked the heat with a greenhouse thermometer and it is ok but my dials are wrong! [:@] aha sorry about the pics my phone camera isnt that good (its sposed to be new technology , pffft). thanks for the help guys and the pigs arent actually mine but i saw them on a dog walk :)
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 17:13:49
Yer people go through fads with them I think :-<

Good photos Josh, if a little camera shakey! Cool Reps, ferrets & pigs! Im much better at bowling though! HAHA.

I would say she looks pretty happy, good set up etc. The only other advice I can think from experience is:

1. Because its very infrequent, could it possibly be that you/family/friends go near her after ferret handling? As you have lots of other pets perhaps she can smell the scents on you. I have ferrets and their scent is very pungent and can stay on you for ages!

2. Try letting her come to you by opening viv and let her come half way out then confidently scooping her out? If you lift her from hide etc it could make her feel bit insecure (? as to why striking not all the time though, unless you change way you take her from viv).

3. Temperature ok/ checked often? You seem to have an analogue thermometer, the digital ones (£8-£10) are more accurate.

4. Have you weighed her and weighed the pery you feed her? e.g. The 10-15% rule. My snake weighs just under 900 grams so every 8-10 days (less often as she is adult) she's fed prey of around 90 grams. Could be that when you've handled her after a feed (& digestion!) and she has gone for you that she is still hungry. Though the prey you are feeding her sounds fine, pet store to pet store's size guides vary a lot and the only way to be accurate is to weigh.

The above is just common problems for a bit of a narky snake. You seem to be doing something right (she seems content with the viv and loves the aspen!) And my Royal Python bit the other day, which hurt like hell and I think was down to ferret scent on clothes! Although he is new and wasn't fully settled.

n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 16:54:28
I know they're really nice and people still let them end up in those places :/ i have 1 silver mit and 2 polecats(1 male one female) and i breed the female polecat with the silver mitt :)
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 15:23:30
Aww, I used to have ferrets, they're back home though, they belong to Dad mainly. We've mostly had polecat marked ones, but we've had a couple of albinos and even a black eyed cream once. Nearly all of them rescues, I'm always amazed by how many are showing up on rescue sites
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 15:06:34
Cool. I got ferrets too, mine are albino! I'll check your PB account now!
n/a Posted - 25/10/2009 : 17:31:02
i dont know if you cna btu on my photobucket acount (JOSH123987) i have pics of the whole vivarium , from before and pics of my other reptiles :) and ferrets lol
n/a Posted - 25/10/2009 : 17:29:56

thats half of it and she is nearly the sam length of it when fully stretched out and when she was a really little hatchling she wasnt funny about it? hmm. Replies will be much aprreciated
SexyBear77 Posted - 25/10/2009 : 16:49:21
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHNROX

Yeah her tank is a 36x15x18 so thats big enough for her and her setup is all good :/ i checked the blue eye stage and she wasnt in that time and she did it even the day after i fed her a small mouse which she has only just moved up to and im feeding her every 5-6 days , but she is fine at the moment , it happens for about 4 days 4 times a year. it has alot of decoration like hanngin vines snugg hides and climbing frames and she has aspen which is very nice for her to burrow in and if i were her i would be very pleased with it :D haha i will add a picture but how do i?

I'd say your viv might be too big for her... how big is she exactly?
n/a Posted - 25/10/2009 : 14:19:00
The above link is very thorough, its quicker & easier than it first looks. Will only take 5 mins.
n/a Posted - 25/10/2009 : 14:17:58
Here you go Joshua, follow this link:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14
n/a Posted - 24/10/2009 : 21:49:08
Yeah her tank is a 36x15x18 so thats big enough for her and her setup is all good :/ i checked the blue eye stage and she wasnt in that time and she did it even the day after i fed her a small mouse which she has only just moved up to and im feeding her every 5-6 days , but she is fine at the moment , it happens for about 4 days 4 times a year. it has alot of decoration like hanngin vines snugg hides and climbing frames and she has aspen which is very nice for her to burrow in and if i were her i would be very pleased with it :D haha i will add a picture but how do i?
gingerpony Posted - 24/10/2009 : 21:17:37
i agree with DM's comment above but also is there enough cover (foliage....decor...etc) in her enclosure to make her feel secure? (one of the reasons matty was asking about a pic of your set-up)
and they can get a bit narky if they're hungry too...
devilsmistress Posted - 24/10/2009 : 20:15:25
Sounds to me like she could be in shed? When they go throught the blu eye stage they are pretty much blind so will lash out. One of mine gets like that during her shed so I just leave her alone.
matty18714 Posted - 24/10/2009 : 19:58:58
Have you got a photo of her setup?
How big is the snake?
What are you feeding it and how often?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000