The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 21/10/2009 : 09:06:19
Hi new to the site
Just a few questions

My son wants a corn snake for xmas (i am petrified of them) he has always loved them so this year decided to get him one
What do i need from the tank to plants etc
I do not want to buy all expensive stuff just something that looks nice and safe for both my son(12) and snake does anyone know of any reputable breeders, would like a baby snake.
thanx
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 05/11/2009 : 06:38:50
Hi I will take the advice he has dragged me to see it 3 times already and he has held it, its not very old still a baby a few months he has been thinking of names for it i suggested Rumple snakeskin or william snakespear, but he wont have it so any one with any great suggestions all welcome....
Kellog Posted - 02/11/2009 : 03:27:58
That is great news Lin. I am sure your son is really pleased and carolinas are beautiful colours. How old will it be?

I will just echo benjy's advice about not handling or feeding for the first week you get it home. Although it may be used to its tank it will be stressed by the move and the new surroundings. It will also need to get used to your son's smell, which is done by him daily changing the water and moving the substrate around, but avoiding going anywhere near the snake. That way it doesnt feel threatened but has the chance to get used to tne new smells and set up.

Remember, ask anything here...no matter how small....it is what the forum is for!

xxx
n/a Posted - 01/11/2009 : 18:08:01
That sounds good. Just make sure when your son gets it even though the snake has been living in the viv for a while by then, snakes don't take to travelling well so when you get it home leave him/her a week to settle before handling and feeding it. Just carry out spot cleaning and water changes daily for that week, then when he/she is settled, go in for a hold.

I won't load you up with any more info at the mo. When you collect the snake and have any questions, let us know and we'll help you. The only silly question is the one you don't ask!

Enjoy & when you get him back home for your son snake piccys please!
n/a Posted - 01/11/2009 : 16:21:44
UPDATE: Thanks for all the recent replies, I have now ordered my sons corn snake (Carolina). I've also bought his tank which they're putting the snake in until i collect it in December, So the snake can get used to it's new habitat until i bring it home.t
n/a Posted - 01/11/2009 : 15:22:14
Hi and welcome. Don't rule out handling your new snake.
2 years ago I was that parent, my son was desperate for a snake, bugged the life out of me and his dad for one. We said no but eventually gave in.
After a while the novelty wore off but it left me hooked. To the point where I''ve just bought my fourth snake and I'd have more if I had the room, they're definately addictive !
alex09 Posted - 01/11/2009 : 13:36:02
hi,welocme to the site,if you wont a full setup ready to go you could try www.preloved.co.uk this is where i got my corn from and i got the full setup and snake for £50
hope this helps.
n/a Posted - 01/11/2009 : 13:33:03
a ball python is a USA term for what we call a Royal python. I have both a corn and a royal. I would say that for a first time owner a corn snake is very slightly easier to look after. This is simply due to corns being easier to feed- royals can sometimes be tempremental so if they aren't happy with their environment they won't feed.

Im not saying a royal is harder, they are both very easy to keep. If you look at a rainbow boa for example, they need constant humidity checks as they're from more humid environments in nature. Whereas only occasionally would you need to mist a corn/royal's enclosure to aid with shedding or provide a moist hide to help raise humidity when shedding. I've never needed either though (its usually if they can't shed in one piece) as both species prefered humidity is around 50% (average british room humidity).

Corn snakes are widely known to be one of the easiest to look after. Royals are given nickname ball pythons for their habbit of curling into a ball in defense rather than striking a potential threat.

Its entirely your/ your son's choice. You can't really go wrong with either but I probably would say for a first time owner too go for a corn.

Hope this helps!
Kellog Posted - 01/11/2009 : 11:15:53
My only advice is that from what I know corn snakes are definitely the easiest and best snake for a first time owner. Dont know anything about ball pythons but am sure someone who does will be able to give you some more information.

xxx
n/a Posted - 01/11/2009 : 07:54:37
Well i dont know about holding it i might touch it with my finger tips...but i will never say never. He is now in a dilemma about a corn snake and a ball python snake,( i think thats the one) Sorry to all you snake lovers out there but to me a snake is a snake so i do not know the difference, and i have been reading up on corn snakes and have a slight knowledge of how to look after it, any difference in the 2 breeds?
thank you
Kellog Posted - 24/10/2009 : 22:59:50
My mum was ok about us having a snake as long as it stayed in viv - she has now had him on her lap and sliding over her shoulder! xxx
Sammysnake Posted - 24/10/2009 : 22:50:10
quote:
it will be my son handling it not me

That's what you say now but just you wait, I bet little snakey will soon charm you. My mum said she wouldn't visit if we got a snake but actually she thinks he's gorgous now we've got him. She's even had a stroke (of the snake that is).
n/a Posted - 24/10/2009 : 20:45:35
Hi thanx for all the replies, i am taking everything i have read on board and will definately ask the questions when i go to a breeder. it will be my son handling it not me,and will have everything ready for it before i even get it..
n/a Posted - 23/10/2009 : 20:46:58
Hi and welcome. well done for thinking ahead and asking questions sooner rather than later to be prepared, My wife works in a pet shop and the other day someone had a bought a corn from some were and then asked questions in a pet shop that doesnt sell reptiles about general corn keeping luckly my wife gave here some advice.
Sammysnake Posted - 23/10/2009 : 19:21:54
quote:
As Hannah said, females can have their little issues if they are bred to (same as all women)

Hey, I take offence at ..... oh wait, you're right!!
SexyBear77 Posted - 22/10/2009 : 18:21:32
quote:
Originally posted by linuk09

Hi again he rather have a black and white one (dont think it has anything to do with coming from newcastle) but if he cant have that he is not bothered what colour as long as he has his snake. Stanley is not too far away from from me.
Is there any difference between a male and female like one being more friendly than the other?
Is it best too get a snake from being a baby or maybe a few months old, as formely said it might be hard to get a baby at this time of year
thank you for previous replies
lin

As Twilight has shown, an anery may be the closest you will get to black and white.

I have a male and a female (7 and 3 years old respectively) and they are both as easy as each other to handle, feed and care for. As Hannah said, females can have their little issues if they are bred to (same as all women) but if the correct precautions are taken then this is rare.

Females can lay eggs without being mated, or sometimes a long time after being mated but this also isnt common.

My male was bought as a hatchling, so he was cute and I could watch him grow, but my female I have only had for about 3-4 months, so she is bigger, easier to handle and can be handled for longer.
Sammysnake Posted - 22/10/2009 : 18:00:30
I'm a newbie too - I've had Twilight for five weeks and he was two months old when we got him. I don't know if it's just luck but I've had absolutely no problems with him. He is confident and an excellent feeder and its lovely that he's little as it means he grows really fast and is shedding every three weeks which is really fun to watch.

One thing I would encourage is to take your time choosing the snake you want and researching where to get it from. Make sure you get to handle it first so you can see if it feels strong and lively and what its personality is like. Also, be just as concerned with the person you buy the snake from as you are with the snake itself. They should have lots of knowledge and sound like they care for the welfare of the snake. They should be able to answer all your questions - especially ones like when did they last eat/shed etc because they should be keeping good records. I got mine from a breeder who asked me as many questions as I asked her to ensure I knew what I was doing before she sold him to me. She also asked me to call her after he had his first feed with me so she would know he was OK. I took that as a very good sign. Be wary of anyone who offers you a snake with a kink or with difficulties feeding. Sometimes they will offer them at a lower price but a good seller will not offer them to an inexperienced owner.

Good luck in your search. As you can see from my pics, I have a 'black and white one'. Anerys all the way for me...
Kellog Posted - 22/10/2009 : 09:51:32
Regarding getting a baby as opposed to a snake that is a few months old or an adult, I would certainly go for the older snakes than the baby. That way you can be sure that the snake is a proven feeder and shedder....and try to make sure you get confirmation of that. With babies (hatchlings) there is always the risk of having a non-feeder, which is very difficult to deal with practically and emotionally. I think it is better to be a more experienced owner before taking on a hatchling.

I am sure others may disagree with me, but I got Kellog as an adult and it has been a fantastic experience. He is nearly 4 and a half yrs old and although we had a feeding problem when we first got him (which was to do with him being in a mating state) it was less worrying because he was an adult. I would certainly want to take on a snake that I knew had fed and shed. I do plan on getting a baby eventually because I would love to watch one grow to the size Kellog is...I do feel I missed out on that part. But by the time I do that I will be more experienced to handle it. Hope that helps in your decision.

xxx
HannahB Posted - 22/10/2009 : 07:46:35
tbh theres not much difference between the tempraments of males and females.. biologically there can be a few issues with females but I dont think they happen very often.. if you breed then she can become egg bound - think Matty knows more about it - and it can be expensive and dangerous to fix.. also they can lay eggs when they havent been mated but again im not too sure on if its common or not..
but like i said this doesnt happen with every female - just the unlucky ones..

also unless you get a lavender there are no colour differences between the sexes
n/a Posted - 22/10/2009 : 07:07:52
Hi again he rather have a black and white one (dont think it has anything to do with coming from newcastle) but if he cant have that he is not bothered what colour as long as he has his snake. Stanley is not too far away from from me.
Is there any difference between a male and female like one being more friendly than the other?
Is it best too get a snake from being a baby or maybe a few months old, as formely said it might be hard to get a baby at this time of year
thank you for previous replies
lin
eeji Posted - 21/10/2009 : 21:05:19
The nearest to Newcastle I know of is in Stanley, Co. Durham - he breeds some really nice corns and has an excellent reputation. His site is: http://www.snakebreeder.co.uk/ - its not been updated for a while, but gives some idea of the morphs he breeds and has contact details there too :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000