The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Cleaning and Disinfecting Decoration & Live Decor

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LittleMick Posted - 18/10/2009 : 22:01:24
This ? is for my Leo and my future Corn. Right, disinfecting the vivarium, resin decor and plastic plants etc is easy enough, I just run them over with some disinfectant and then scrub over with clean water. one thing I would like to query though, is how is the best way to disnfect live plants, dead wood or porus material? Currently I don't have live plants, but I do have some Mopani wood in my Leo's viv and I have one of those Exo Terra bendable jungle vines in there as well wich is covered in a poruse material to make it realistic. How good I disinfect this without the exteranl material coming off? I don't really fancy soaking it in case all teh porus surface comes off.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LittleMick Posted - 20/10/2009 : 00:23:06
Thanks for that link Kehhlyr. In all honesty I probably won't use live plants I had a bad experience with them with my fish tank, I must have the brownest thumbs in the UK, lol. But I need to ask. I still use Mopani wood and will be using other dead wood branches from the local RC. I currently use Cascade disinfectant which is supposedly designed specifically for reptiles. It is a hell of a lot cheaper than other name brands as well, that Beaphar you guys n gals mentioned is not available at my local, but I have spotted it online at a few outlets.
Kehhlyr Posted - 19/10/2009 : 22:40:08
Live plants can be used in a snake viv, but make sure you have nicely sterilised soil first, and plant from seed or cuttings from someone who has already had the plants inside a viv.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2402 - There you go, a toxic plant list.
Kellog Posted - 19/10/2009 : 20:46:13
Well, I think best way with dead wood is to scrub it as clean as possible with whatever reptile friendly cleaner you use. Let it dry then bake it in the oven at approx 160oc for over an hour. That means you are killing all the parasites and the eggs that have been layed.
I think live plants are discouraged with snakes because of the risk of parasites in the soil.
Sorry I cant help more.

xxx
HannahB Posted - 19/10/2009 : 20:18:31
urm tbh i have no idea.. i have some of that vine stuff but havent used it yet..will ask at the rep shop tomorrow
n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 19:09:18

Well guys? I'd too would like to know, there must be someone here who has the answer to this riddle. Don't hold secrets, don't be shy Respond, or I'll be asking about this on tonight's chat!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000