The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 hello, I need some beginners advice! feed advice.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
zandefloss Posted - 17/10/2009 : 18:55:35
Hello there - I've just gotten a new cornsnake yeaterday, and although I've researched getting a snake carefully I still have a few questions which have somehow only popped into my head now! :)

My main question is about feeding, I am planning on using another box to my snakes home to feed, so she doesnt mistake my hand getting her out for a yummy pinky. However I also know that snakes should not be handled for 48hrs after a feed - is picking up the snake to put it back in its viv. after being in the feeding box ok?

Also the pet store told me that they've been trying to get the snake onto 2 pinkies in each feed, but had sofar refused. To do this do I give the snake the first pinky, wait until it's been swallowed and then introduce a second pinky, or do I just pop both pinkys in and leave the snake in the box until it's eaten the pinkies (or 1 pinky) How long would should I wait for the snake to eat the second pinky before giving up and putting her back in the viv?

What will the snake need in the feeding box? How long will she need to be in there? Will she need a water bowl or is a bare tank best?

Sorry if these questions seem silly, perhaps I'm overthinking!

Thankyou, zan x.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
zandefloss Posted - 18/10/2009 : 13:38:52
hello there - thankyou everyone for your advice and for being so friendly!

I'm lucky that she has sofar been a very good feeder - feeding right before a shed, and straight after, the store thinks the refusal of the extra pinky was down to a sudden shed 2 days later! I think I will try on 2 pinkies this week and just see how she goes! I will be happy if she takes 1 after seeing so many stories about hatchlings that wont feed!
HannahB Posted - 18/10/2009 : 11:37:30
dont feel silly for asking questions..if you dont ask questions you wont learn

personally id keep her on one pinkie for a few feeds so you settle into the routine and then try her with two.. if she takes both then alternate between one and two pinkies for a few feeds so she gets used to a bigger meal.. eventually after keeping her on two you should be able to move her up to small fuzzies

look forwards to the piccies when shes settled in!
Kellog Posted - 18/10/2009 : 02:54:03
The only thing I will add is that your comment 'Sorry if these questions seem silly, perhaps I'm overthinking!' is totally wrong. No question is silly and you always overthink when you prepare for a pet and then when you have it - you want what is best. So keep asking away please.....xxx
zandefloss Posted - 17/10/2009 : 19:08:32
thankyou, these were just the answers I needed! it's amazing what you think of when you've actally got the snake!
devilsmistress Posted - 17/10/2009 : 19:05:51
quote:
Originally posted by zandefloss

Hello there - I've just gotten a new cornsnake yeaterday, and although I've researched getting a snake carefully I still have a few questions which have somehow only popped into my head now! :)

My main question is about feeding, I am planning on using another box to my snakes home to feed, so she doesnt mistake my hand getting her out for a yummy pinky. However I also know that snakes should not be handled for 48hrs after a feed - is picking up the snake to put it back in its viv. after being in the feeding box ok?

Also the pet store told me that they've been trying to get the snake onto 2 pinkies in each feed, but had sofar refused. To do this do I give the snake the first pinky, wait until it's been swallowed and then introduce a second pinky, or do I just pop both pinkys in and leave the snake in the box until it's eaten the pinkies (or 1 pinky) How long would should I wait for the snake to eat the second pinky before giving up and putting her back in the viv?

What will the snake need in the feeding box? How long will she need to be in there? Will she need a water bowl or is a bare tank best?

Sorry if these questions seem silly, perhaps I'm overthinking!

Thankyou, zan x.

I wait till the bump is about halfway down the body and then put my snakes back in there viv's. This will be fine!

When I started upping one of mine I gave the first pinky and waited till the snake was moving all round the feeding box (hunting) then gave the second one. It might be the shop was trying to give the snake the second one to quick and the snake had not finished the first one. Try waiting till the bump is say halfway down the snake then try the second pinky. Dont panic if the snake does not take it, at least ity is eating so better than a non feeder!

Nothing need be in the feeding box other than the snake. I get my mice ready put snake in box then offer the feed straight away, then as above when finished, pop the snake back in the viv!

Hope this has helped a bit, maybe someone else may have some other info, or word my info a bit better!!
Spedz Posted - 17/10/2009 : 19:03:18
Hey, good to hear you've turned to herps! :D

Firstly, I've said it before - When you eat a big roast, you don't go out a jog; but you can hobble over to the sofa to lie down.
Basically, it's fine to quickly scoop up the snake and place it back into the faun/viv/rub ^^

Also, with the pinkys - feed one then give the next is what i've always done.
Once she's gobbled up the first.. You'll see how she'll move around begging for another ^^

In the feeding bowl, just kitchen towel as a substrate is all you need.. She won't need anything else :)

Ofc you're not silly.. I always prefer to see someone worrying over their animals, because it shows that you care and are trying to give the best home to your new first snake!
So if you have any more questions, ask away! Everyone here is friendly and will give out good advice!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000