The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Guidence

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 17/10/2009 : 10:11:23
Hi im thinking on either a Corn, Californian King or Milk as my first snake, what i need to know as im completely new to snakes is how much will a complete setup cost me roughly what i need etc?

Reason being i know and probably you do to that if you go into a pet store they sell you stuff you dont need and you come out with a huge hole in your pocket.

So if someone could outline the costs obvouisly not knowing to much about snakes im researching before i get as i want a happy snake.

Thanking you in advance ;)
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 17/10/2009 : 11:11:29
Thats comforting thanks very much
n/a Posted - 17/10/2009 : 11:05:31
That is really the best way to go about things, it really does ensure you have the best chance of having a happy and healthy snake.

If you have any other questions you will always find somebody willing to help you so ask away. :)
n/a Posted - 17/10/2009 : 11:03:43
Thanks for your help as you can apprieciate i want everything tickety boo before i even think about purchasing a Snake, so i will get a setup organised and climatised to make sure all temps and conditions are met.
n/a Posted - 17/10/2009 : 10:54:09
Yes, all the snakes you mentioned are fine with a constant day and night temperature.

I personally keep my Corn Snakes at 28C and my King Snake at 30C.
n/a Posted - 17/10/2009 : 10:46:40
Thanks and do i need to keep the Heatmat at a constant temp day and night?
n/a Posted - 17/10/2009 : 10:33:37
With a wooden viv the heat mat goes inside on the floor, with a plastic RUB or faunarium the heat mat goes underneath the tank on the outside.
n/a Posted - 17/10/2009 : 10:30:47
Thats very helpfull thanks, i have a spare mat and stat so thats ok.

So heating wise would i attach mat to side or undernieth of RUB or Viv?
n/a Posted - 17/10/2009 : 10:24:27
You will need the following things, and i have included a rough price for each.

For a hatchling you will need a faunarium or small RUB (really useful box) to house them in. Faunariums are £8 - £10, rubs can be found at various prices.

For an adult you will need either a larger RUB or at least a 3 foot wooden vivarium. Wooden vivs are upto about £80 although you can find deals on ebay. Again, rubs can be found at various prices.

You will need a heat mat at about £10 - £15.

A thermostat, mat stats can be picked up for about £25.

Substrate, that is really down to what you prefer. I personally use a hemp substrate that is £10 for 20kg.

A couple of thermometers, digital ones are best. I bought two of these the other day off ebay and paid about £6.50 delivered.

A water bowl, any type of dish is fine as long as it is heavy enough to not be easily tipped. I personally use Mason Cash ceramic cat dishes for my young snakes and they are £2 each.

Hides and plastic plants. These are pretty cheap so a few quid for this lot.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000