The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 A ? about feeding without power feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LittleMick Posted - 15/10/2009 : 23:24:42
Ok, as some of you know I should be getting my Corn at the end of the year, so I have been doing alot of research. You may also know that I expressed concerns about haviing Gerbils and a Corn snake in the same room as each other. Although my mind has been put at rest about the subject I still feel the need to take the following precautions.
To prevent cross contamination whilst handling I intend to wear a tea shirt or another top that I will put on for if I let the Gerbs out and come into contact with them.
Seeings I have muliple pets I already wash hands and arms to prevent cross contamination and the lingering of smells.
I also fragrance the room, although I can't smell the Gerbs, a snake may.

QUESTION - I intend to keep the snake well fed so even if it does smell the Gerbs it won't want to feed. While most animals are opportunistic feeders I'm hoping the snake won't want to go hunting. The norm for feeding hatchlings is 5 - 7 days and adults every 14 days right? So I intend to feed every 5 days when I get my hatchling. And it should be 1 pinky, but I'm thinking maybe 2 pinkies to keep it well fed, now my question is......... would this be concidered power feeding? If not, how much and how often is concidered power feeding as I don't want to do this.
If answered could you give an answer for both hatchlings and adults.

Thanks

Mick
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LittleMick Posted - 19/10/2009 : 20:05:20
Thanks zandefloss, I pretty much figured that, but it's always safer to ask, I guess I my animal friends won't all be sitting round the smae dinner table then huh, lol.
zandefloss Posted - 18/10/2009 : 22:19:50
hello there - I keep my corn snake and gerbil in the same room and they both act like the other's not there! I've taken precautions such as keeping them away from each other and not handling the snake after the gerbil etc etc. it also helps that my gerbil does not like much handling, so I can assign them both handling days once my cornsnake is properly acclimatised to his new home and handling.

I've also had the snake in the same room as my very stinky rats and yet again there was no effect, I think as long as they're not held close to the animal and are happy and fed (just normally, not overfed) then you should be fine.

zan
LittleMick Posted - 18/10/2009 : 19:50:20
quote:
Originally posted by lynne06

Are you useing room freshener in the room that the animals are in and where the snakes will live? If so please stop, I have had a friend that has lost a hole collection of healthy snakes because a room freshener was used near the snakes. Sented candles are fine, I think cuz there not cemical based but sprays are a definate no no. Just thought you should know as you don't really hear much about it. :)

Not room freshner as in like Air wick or any other spray form. While hoovering I put talcum powder on the floor. Air freshners in spray form are harmful to tropical fish, Joss sticks are out of the question as they are harmful to Gerbs, although I haven't heard mention of scented candles, I'll have to look in to that. The talc is ok though as it is floor level with only the scent rising and not the powder.

quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

if you feed your little hatchling every 5 days then they will be ok.. when the bump left behind by the pinkie is very small then move it up to two

I think that was the answer I was looking for, obviously I don't want to power feed. So going by the guide, prey = 1 1/2 times size of snake head, so are we talking about the pinky will hardly be noticable once swallowed?
Once the snake grows should I feed 2 pinkies or go straight upto jumpers and see if it eats it. If I do feed 2 pinkies and the second one doesn't get eaten I presume I would have to bin it as I can't refreeze it.

quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

Just wanted to say that I know from so many of your other posts that you are really serious about doing what is best for your pets and doing the research to get it right. It is so refreshing having someone do that. xxx

You wanna see my book collection, lol. To be honest I noramlly avoid forums, too many idiots. But since I have started a pet collection the forums I have visited have been great. but despite all the research I am doing there always seems to be soemthing new to know, lol. Take the air freshners for instance, I knew I couldn't use them because of the Gerbs, but if I didn't have them, then the subject wouldn't have come up and I haven't seen that info in any of the snake books I have read.

Anyway, thanks to EVERYONE who has commented in all my posts, you've been great, I just can't wait to be able to share my experiences as an actual keeper with everyone.

Regards
Mick
Kellog Posted - 17/10/2009 : 03:52:23
Just wanted to say that I know from so many of your other posts that you are really serious about doing what is best for your pets and doing the research to get it right. It is so refreshing having someone do that. xxx
n/a Posted - 16/10/2009 : 12:28:34
Just a quick note, everyone has given you spot on info to follow on feeding so i wont get into that but and this is just a friendly comment. Are you useing room freshener in the room that the animals are in and where the snakes will live? If so please stop, I have had a friend that has lost a hole collection of healthy snakes because a room freshener was used near the snakes. Sented candles are fine, I think cuz there not cemical based but sprays are a definate no no. Just thought you should know as you don't really hear much about it. :)
SexyBear77 Posted - 16/10/2009 : 11:50:20
Forgot to answer your question- as Hannah said, hatchlings every 5 days, though adults can be anywhere between 7 and 14 days depending on age, size and size of prey item. eg-

Mushu- 3 3/4 feet, weight approx 425g (off the top of my head!)gets fed one medium mouse every 7 days
Casper- 5 1/2 feets, weighs 742g gets fed one xl mouse every 10 days
HannahB Posted - 16/10/2009 : 11:44:32
if you feed your little hatchling every 5 days then they will be ok.. when the bump left behind by the pinkie is very small then move it up to two

like others have said corns are opportunist feeders so if they are offered a lot of food they will eat it regardless of whether they are actually hungry..
SexyBear77 Posted - 16/10/2009 : 10:54:36
I wouldnt feed your corn with the sole intent of keeping it full- it is sure to cause major health problems for your snake, and is far removed from a natural feeding routine. IMO the gerbils really shoudlnt be a problem. Just wash your hands between handling sessions.

I have had cats, dogs, birds, rats and even a chicken in my room multiple times with both of my big snakes with absolutely no problems.

I know you are trying to be very sensible and thats good, but there are much simpler ways of keeping your corn happy than overfeeding it
lucifer Posted - 16/10/2009 : 01:00:19
Snakes are opportunist feeders and will go into hunting mode whether they have had 1 or 2 pinkies.
Feed your snake as you normally would, if they aren't housed next to each other and your taking all the steps you say you are then don't worry, play it by the ear and see how your snake's behaviour is when handled. Try not to over feed your snake as an overweight corn is an unhealthy corn.

Glad to hear your doing your research and you obviously want to do what's best for your pets.
LittleMick Posted - 16/10/2009 : 00:10:54
Thanks, I not concerned with the snake escaping and getting to the Gerbs, as a hatchling the Corn would have trouble even getting to the Gerbilarium, let alone getting in it. You probably missed my original post on this, but I only have one room available to me in the house for my animal companions, what a few people on here have expressed concerns about, is the Corn actually scenting the Gerbs, and MAYBE causing the Corn to go into permanent hunting mode, so what I will be doing is preventing detection. And if fed correctly, keeping the snake from wanting more food.

A QICK NOTE TO THE BOARD - While I appreciate any advice I get regarding animal keeping, I'm sure there are some that may concider my future pet keeping activiteis to be irresponsible, but I do do extensive research before buying any pet. So far on this subject everything I have found out suggests I won't have a problem.
devilsmistress Posted - 15/10/2009 : 23:36:04
What you fed the snake is all down to size of it, so it's hard to tell. I think with what you have planned it could make the snake over weight and cause future health problems. As long as the snake is in a diffrent room and the viv is secure it should be fine. if your worried about the snake getting the gerbils it may sound daft but what about a couple of layers of mesh over the gerbils cage and cutting so you can get the doors open?? sounds extreem but It could put your mind at rest?? Or put the mesh over the snake viv/faun/rub what ever it is you will be housing it in?
n/a Posted - 15/10/2009 : 23:31:57
Do not worry about feeding the snake enough to keep it full up. As long as your viv is escape proof you should not have a problem.

And in my opinion, feeding a hatchling two pinkies is not power feeding IF the snake is ready for that level of feeding. If the hatchling is too small it is power feeding and you are more likely to have regurge problems or food rotting within the snake.

So, if i were you i would just stick to a normal feeding regime with the snake on a size of mouse that is appropriate for the animal. That goes for a hatchling and an adult.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000