The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Bit worried about Karma

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
devilsmistress Posted - 13/10/2009 : 16:32:14
Well I fed the girls today and Karma as up first. She kept taking the Pinky in so far, twisting her top jaw nearly to the side (I think she was trying to get the legs?) but then she would back it up. So she was taking 3 gulps in 2 gulps out!
Also she kept wrapping herself round the pinky and herself then constricting to the point she stopped moving. I had to actually unwrap her and boy was she constricting! she done this about 6 or 7 times.
She also kept wrapping herself up into a little ball and rolled around the box? Turning herself on her back then righting herself, before going back into a ball or constricting again.
It took her Over an hour to finally finish the pinky then another half hour to work it down!
In this time I got Missy out as she was out and about, think she could smell the food! I fed her on a tray and put her back, in this time Karma had only managed to get the head down!
I have phoned 3 vets one said every snake feeeds diffrent dont worry, one said he had never heard of that before, maybey she was getting a tooth caught and to keep an eye on her. If she does it next feed, maybe bring her in to him so he can check her mouth. The third said its a nurological (spelling) thing where they dont know how to feed propaly and I was best bringing her in to be put to sleep!!

Sorry for the Long post, but Im actually kind of worried about her now.
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kizzig Posted - 14/10/2009 : 19:02:30
Sounds promising We're sure she's fine and was just overexcited! Let us know how you get on with her when she's out!
n/a Posted - 14/10/2009 : 19:01:52
quote:
Originally posted by devilsmistress

She has been in her warm hide digesting, not sure if her has moved or not since but i have lifted the hide and i get the look of Do you mind?? will see how she is in a few days when I get her out

LOL!

We're about to feed Stella in about half an hour. The other day I thought I saw something in her viv that needed removing, right next to the cold hide. I lifted it a bit to take a better look and encountered Stella -- it was a little bit of her sticking out. She was off immediately, with a look of a school matron who has been forced to get off the WC in a hurry because the door blew off. I apologised and retreated immediately and later found her on top of that hide, sitting pensively with her upper part sticking up lying against the wall of the viv, she looked funny! Her head was nearly touching the highest point of the viv, I was really sorry I didn't have a camera.

devilsmistress Posted - 14/10/2009 : 18:40:49
She has been in her warm hide digesting, not sure if her has moved or not since but i have lifted the hide and i get the look of Do you mind?? will see how she is in a few days when I get her out
kizzig Posted - 14/10/2009 : 18:28:54
How's Karma doing now?
Karl Posted - 14/10/2009 : 13:34:47
I have seen snakes attacking themselves they get into such a blood rush when food is on the go. You interfearing probably slowed things down.
It's nice to see a corn with a good food appetite and prey drive.

If your worried video the next feed so people can check all is ok.

I know some of mine like to constrict their food for varying lengths of time, one of the carpets did for nearly two hours once, I'm sure he just had a nap half way through.
devilsmistress Posted - 13/10/2009 : 20:33:05
I know the way she was fed before as the breeder is a friend of mine. She just opens the boxes puts pinky in and leaves it, checks them in the morning, so she would not have noticed!
The more I read the replys here though the more im Calming as it seems many of you have been through the same thing before at some point!!
Kellog Posted - 13/10/2009 : 20:29:33
I cant see how it can be a neuro problem if she has been fine up til now...and she has obviously been feeding til now cos (I am assuming) she is a proven feeder. Think it is most likely she got over-excited. Any way you can contact who you got her from and ask about her feeding technique? Just be patient and watch and wait. xxx
inkiepixie Posted - 13/10/2009 : 20:13:58
Bella tends to roll herself up in a ball and jiggle around a bit as well as squeezing her fuzzies so hard they often explode or make a rather distressing squeak that sounds like she's actually killing the mouse :(
n/a Posted - 13/10/2009 : 19:32:51
quote:
Originally posted by devilsmistress

Well we got them Wendsday so Its only one day short of a week!!
As for heatly instinct I have never seen a snake act in the way she did, at times she was suffocating herself, im sure of it!!
When Jenna feeds her hatchlings, she just puts them in the containers and leaves them So if this was happening then I dont know if she would have noticed it.
Other wise she seems fine, Ill see how she is next feed.

The Hawk wants to tell you he thinks the (neuro) vet is talking... poo, and figures Matty and other experienced owners are far more qualified to give advice, since they deal with snakes on a daily basis. So that's from Hawk.

Consider this: whatever Karma's table manners are, she's managed to get to where she is no problem up to this point, so I'd say she's probably fine. However, wouldn't do any harm keeping an eye on her, which is what we do anyway -- I can't get enough of looking at Stella and Shen!

Sending you a huge hug, watch it -- I may constrict!

kizzig Posted - 13/10/2009 : 18:09:02
Kizzy consricted into a little ball on her last feed, it was quite funny to watch her trying to keep hold of the pinky while rolling about! She sorted herself out after a couple of minutes and straightened up to eat properly. She seemed quite excited about the food as soon as it was introduced, so hopefully Karma was also just overexcited. As the others have said, keep and eye on her over the next few days and also on her next feed.
devilsmistress Posted - 13/10/2009 : 17:58:37
Good to know mine not the only one then Thanks Hannah! Just cant believe it took her over an hour to eat a little pinky!!!
HannahB Posted - 13/10/2009 : 17:57:08
shes probably just over excited about feeding time.. liberty has tied herself in knots before and rolled about in a ball while feeding..
see how she goes next time
devilsmistress Posted - 13/10/2009 : 17:43:54
Well we got them Wendsday so Its only one day short of a week!!
As for heatly instinct I have never seen a snake act in the way she did, at times she was suffocating herself, im sure of it!!
When Jenna feeds her hatchlings, she just puts them in the containers and leaves them So if this was happening then I dont know if she would have noticed it.
Other wise she seems fine, Ill see how she is next feed.
n/a Posted - 13/10/2009 : 17:09:50
DM, Karma has a good feeding history so this doesn't sound like anything inherent. Was the pinkie slightly larger than usual? I have no idea about the medical side etc., but from what you're saying it sounds that she's got very healthy instincts!

Btw, it's not been a week yet since we got the girls, so now I'm curious what made you decide to take her out already? I'm dying to get Stella out but am holding myself back, so I'd be glad for any excuse to do so.

devilsmistress Posted - 13/10/2009 : 16:57:42
Ok will do, Thanks Matty!
matty18714 Posted - 13/10/2009 : 16:54:12
I wouldnt be hugly worried then, it may be she was just very interested in her meal. Check her over in 2 days and check she is moving ok and that she can flip herself back over when you put her on her back.
devilsmistress Posted - 13/10/2009 : 16:47:44
Yea she has been moving fine before then, even when I first put her in the box, she was fisty. And had been fine in her viv all week moving around, looking for ways to escape.
matty18714 Posted - 13/10/2009 : 16:39:15
Without seeing the snake, its hard to say wether it looks like a neuro problem.

Was the snake moving alright before feeding?

Edit - spelling

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000