The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 My 888 first buy experience

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LittleMick Posted - 09/10/2009 : 23:13:13
Hi, I know I've posted a couple of topics regarding my pre snake buying advice, but rather than add to them I thought I would create a new one just to share my first 888 reptiles buy. I went for the Basic Hatchling Corn Snake Setup. The basic price was £56.94, a good price anyway, but I got a real bargain. I have included a list of what the basic setup consists of and I rang them and asked if I could make alterations and give me a new quote.
Exo Terra Large Flat Faunarium 18"x12"x6 1/2"
888 Aspen Bedding 1kg
Komodo Heat Mat 7w 15 x 28cm
Komodo Thermostat 300w
2 x Exo Terra Liqquid Crystal Thermometer Strip (I removed these and replaced with an ET Dig Thermom)
2 x Exo Terra Small Hides (I had 1 removed as I already had a spare Small Snake Cave)
1 x Exo TerraSmall Water Dish (I upgraded to a medium)

I was expecting the new quote to be in the region of £68 but they came back with £59, I was well pleased. I ordered it all that night, Wednesday, it got processed the next day, Thursday, and despatched on Friday, I had to book a short notice day off, lol. I was expecting it around 11am, but it turned up at 8.35am, I could have just gone into work late, but never mind. It's all setup now just testing. Overall I think I got a great service. Will definitely be using them in the future.

Below are a few images of the setup. The plastic plant in there is from my Leopard Gecko Viv for the photos only. I'll be buying another one for the faun the next time I am in my local RC, along with a trailing plant to put down the back wall for some extra cover. I decided to put the Aspen in rather than paper towel just in case the snake wants to burrow. I was also looking at teh large water bowls but these seem too big so there wouldn't be much space in there.

I'll see what size the snake is at the 6-12 month mark then upgrade to a viv.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
muffin Posted - 18/10/2009 : 23:15:23
Yes m8 perfect i had him for 3 weeks now i left him for aweek and after that he has fed both times, and the best thing when i got him he cost me £45, and aweek later the price went up to £77 :)
LittleMick Posted - 18/10/2009 : 20:58:45
Hi muffin, thanks for the info, so I take it the snake WAS the one you wanted and in a healthy condition?
muffin Posted - 18/10/2009 : 20:32:13
Hi all just like you all to no i got my kingsnake from 888, he was sent out on the wedensday and he arrived on thursday by TNT. I was told if i have not recieved him by 12 dinnertime i had to ring 888.But he arrived about 10.30 he was well packed in a box with what looked like shredded paper and then in a small tub.Just though you guys would like to no and i would definitey buy from there again.
LittleMick Posted - 18/10/2009 : 19:05:33
I will let you know if that is the route I take, I already rang them and asked about delivery and they said when you place the order they ring you for a confirmation date of delivery, I have to ring them again though for some more info, like what happens if I am not happy with the specimen delivered. That's the only thing that worries me, health and colouration. To be honest I might just end up buying one from the local. The cheapest one they do on 888 is the Carolina Corn, for £27 + delivery charge of £8.95, total £35.95, so for the extra £5 I may as well go to the local store. But we'll see.
kizzig Posted - 17/10/2009 : 15:58:32
If you do decide to order the snakes from 888, please let us know how you get on! From the looks of it, it would be better to ring, and delivery is next day by courier before 12. Sounds good to us!
n/a Posted - 17/10/2009 : 10:17:57
not cost i mean delivery times
n/a Posted - 17/10/2009 : 10:17:23
Ive had dealings with 888 reps never had a problem although the postage varies quite abit.
LittleMick Posted - 16/10/2009 : 00:17:23
quote:
Originally posted by Karl

I've had one good and one ok order from 888. Best thing is to ring them tbh. I find, in general, email/internet orders tend to be slower than ringing, unless your talking about Amazon, who are the daddies at internet sales.

You got that straight about Amazon, I must have spent thousands on them over the years. I only had one bad experience with them when I went to get some thing delivered to my work address and Royal Mail out carded me, how the hell can they out card me at work?!?!?!?

Anyway, back to snakes, so far I have 3 options. Wait till xmas and see what these hatclings are like that I have been offered, go to my local RC where I would pay anything from £40 to £300 or have a bash at 888 and their live stock.
Karl Posted - 15/10/2009 : 17:32:57
I've had one good and one ok order from 888. Best thing is to ring them tbh. I find, in general, email/internet orders tend to be slower than ringing, unless your talking about Amazon, who are the daddies at internet sales.
n/a Posted - 14/10/2009 : 23:03:11
quote:
as long as its not inside the faun/viv and near the heated end then it is ok

It's outside on the top. Apparently it makes visitors to my house who aren't snake friendly very worried. I'm told it's because it makes the Faun look like it's on its last legs and snakey might escape any moment. LOL, it's worth keeping the tape on just to freak people out really

I'd just like to add that although my dog likes to catch rats, he's only ever caught two (and they were at someone elses when he was being doggy-sitted). I wouldn't want all you nice people to think I lived in a rat-infested hovel, LMAO!
LittleMick Posted - 14/10/2009 : 22:39:19
Well they do some good prices and I'm only 30 mins drive away, one problem though, I haven't gota car, lol. I went green and cycle everywhere now. I don't think the poor sod would appreciate the bumpy ride home, lol.
kizzig Posted - 14/10/2009 : 22:17:11
We haven't bought livestock, but we have been toying with getting a couple of housegeckos from them. We're not sure whether to get them delivered, or order them before Donny and collect... Would be interesting to hear from any who have ordered though!
LittleMick Posted - 14/10/2009 : 22:06:26
Sorry I didn't realise anyone had continued the topic.

Thanks Stumpy, and I work in a warehouse so I know how parcels can get treated, lol. But all my equipment came well packaged, I think the ONLY negative was the faun was brown in some areas, but a dose of Ambersil Amberclens soon sorted that out followed by a dose of disinfectant. I would have thought for something so delicate they would box them up to protect deom damage and dust. But hey ho, thats down to teh manufacturer.

HANNAH - So a bargain then really, lol. It has weakened the structure then? I mean I think they are quite flimsy anyway, how big is Edison?

ANOTHER QUESTION ABOUT 888 - Has anyone bought livestock from them? Their hatchlings are alot cheaper than my local RC, but I don't like the idea of not being able to do a health, alertness or colouration check.
HannahB Posted - 13/10/2009 : 07:21:01
quote:
Originally posted by bbsmog

quote:
dont use tape what ever you do.. several people on here have innocently used tape and then found snakey stuck to it and it can take a while to come off..

In the case of my Faunarium, I'm not overly concerned about the sticky-snake issue. I'm aware of the potential hazards but I check the tape (indeed I inspect the whole lid and sides) every morning and evening when I check on Cinco.

To be honest the remote possibility that he could go through the complicated process it would take to even come near the tape is a risk I find is worth taking Especially when compared to his chances if he escaped into our house. He'd have to run a gauntlet of four farm cats and a dog that likes to catch rats, so I wouldn't fancy his chances of survival

as long as its not inside the faun/viv and near the heated end then it is ok

Little Mick - I didnt bother returning them..they are usable and tbh the cracked corner helps me out in that the thermometer probe can go in it without having a loose lid or anything.. when the lid is down the edges are all sealed and so far edison hasnt noticed
Stumpy Posted - 13/10/2009 : 01:18:16
I bought two spotlight guards from them and they turned up a couple of days later.
Nice setup you have there and thankfully a decent delivery driver who did not throw the package around.

I recently bought two heatmats from somewhere else on the web and they have both failed already.
I am not blming the shop I got them from just the make " Habistat"
LittleMick Posted - 13/10/2009 : 00:24:30
Well that'scertainly something to think about. I think the early precaution will be something weighted on the top. to stop the doors opening, I thnk the main concern now then will be when the hatchling is bigger and stronger. So I guess I will be buying a rub as an emergency measure.
n/a Posted - 12/10/2009 : 18:10:24
quote:
dont use tape what ever you do.. several people on here have innocently used tape and then found snakey stuck to it and it can take a while to come off..

In the case of my Faunarium, I'm not overly concerned about the sticky-snake issue. I'm aware of the potential hazards but I check the tape (indeed I inspect the whole lid and sides) every morning and evening when I check on Cinco.

To be honest the remote possibility that he could go through the complicated process it would take to even come near the tape is a risk I find is worth taking Especially when compared to his chances if he escaped into our house. He'd have to run a gauntlet of four farm cats and a dog that likes to catch rats, so I wouldn't fancy his chances of survival
lucifer Posted - 12/10/2009 : 11:20:42
Purchased a box of goodies for my corns from 888 before, I ordered next day delivery royal mail as I was expecting a new addition from the Donny show, for some reason the item didn't ship that day, I phoned them they were very pleasant and apologised. The lady picked and packed the item for me there and then and sent it via special courier for first thing the next morning.

I quite like the look of their wooden viv setup with uv, they use them in their store because they stack well.
HannahB Posted - 11/10/2009 : 16:13:13
personally I have bought all my snakes from a breeder who lives either down in portsmouth or somewhere else - cant remember where lol.. I spoke with them loads of times before I put a deposit down and i went through all of the basic q's, how old, whats it eating/shedding like, whats its housing like, what are the parents like.. ect and only if i felt confident enough they were good enough breeders did i make the jump from interested to definately..

or they have come from forum memebers like GP

LittleMick Posted - 11/10/2009 : 02:07:03
Good link Kehhlyr. I love quoting my rights to sellers who think I haven't got any, or stuck up PC world sales reps who think I don't know anything about computers, lol.

Bioshock - Sorry to hear about your experience, I have to admit, their email comms are seriously lacking, but other than that I got a good service. As for your equipment probs, that's down to the manufacturers. My Habistat (for L.Gecko) is about 10 degrees out, that's why I went Komodo on this setup rather than changing it to something else. I have had the heat mat and stat on now since I bought it. I think it should be allowed to go beyond 35c, I am finding that it doesn't turn back on until the temp drops to about 29-30c, but then again I'm not expecting it to.
I also never accept an exchange for another bit of kit unless I have researched the other kit first or maybe find an alternative seller.

As with all my pets I have saught the lowest seller for the initial setup, but after that I go to my locals. I normally find if I only want one item it's ends up cheaper anyway.

Have you got any faves for online shopping for herps?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000