The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 just wounderd if

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 06/10/2009 : 00:02:02
i would like to know how many of you on here breed your own food
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 10/10/2009 : 10:55:11
would a mouse be able to gnaw its way out of a RUB?

I have read (no experience of this so don't anyone chew my head off ) that for using CO2 you need to use 2 doses, one to put the mice to sleep and then a higher dose to finish them off. Also read that its not very effective with pinkys because they have a 'built in mechanism' that prevents them from suffocating for when they are under their mother.
n/a Posted - 10/10/2009 : 09:47:36
thanks bilbo pic of the co2 chamber would be good so i know what to do
Bilbo Posted - 09/10/2009 : 23:18:36
got myself 3 35L rubs today i am thinking about using them for breeding mice i have set them out in my workshop and have a heat mat under one of them to see if i can keep a good temp in there. i have set them out with sawdust and a small box with paper in it for nesting. just need to sort out water but will wait for that untill i know they are running ok then i will get 1 male and 3 females for each rub. but i think i will get one lot to start with. i will be making a Co2 chamber this weekend as well if i can find the time. i will sort out some pics as soon as i can...
Bilbo Posted - 07/10/2009 : 17:01:56
just seen this i should think mice would be sold the same way. its changed my mind about going to a shop so will be looking for a breeder i think. dose anyone know of a breeder in the surrey area???

http://www.brecklagh.com/petshops.html
Taz Devil Posted - 07/10/2009 : 16:11:37
I would have thought that electrocution as a form of euthanasia would cause burns and as such some form of cooking to the rodent in question.
n/a Posted - 07/10/2009 : 15:37:25
Depends on how you feel about it - I am getting mine from a private breeder to avoid funding (albeit only a few quids) the rodent farms and to ensure I get healthy mice. Everything is personal/subective though and I would advise to look into your options and do what you feel comfortable with.
Bilbo Posted - 07/10/2009 : 10:35:06
where do you get them from the ones in the petshops are they fine for breeding??
n/a Posted - 07/10/2009 : 00:01:59
I have never had luck with males together, they start off fine as babies then when they mature they hit the roof lol. I keep my (rescue, non-breeding) boys in seperate hamster cages, my current elderly rescue girls (and their neutered boyfriend) live in a Savic Ruffy rat cage. Obviously they're not for breeding though!

I have decided to get more mice (initially as pets with view to breeding) and play it by ear from there.
Bilbo Posted - 06/10/2009 : 22:49:35
it is big lol would make a top mouse home they would have loads of room. how meany do you think i would get in there?? and can you have more then one male in together?? but then i could split it and have two lots going in there. and they would still have lots of room. i have a friend that breed snakes as well as her brother who has about 40 baby corns at the moment so i could make a bit of money out of it as well i think they have something like 12 to 14 adult cons as well. i have had a look at making a CO2 chamber witch looks very easy to make so it wouldnt cost alot to set everything up.
n/a Posted - 06/10/2009 : 22:35:00
i would of thought so bilbo that some fish tank....lol
Bilbo Posted - 06/10/2009 : 22:14:59
do you think it would be ok to breed mice in a 66" glass tank??? its also 38" high..
Kellog Posted - 06/10/2009 : 21:46:39
If you are a softy Kathy then so are a lot of us on here. I agree with what you have said, and to be honest it is not something I have actually thought about before and I should have. When I next top up on mice I will be asking a few questions about the reptile shops source!

It is the great thing about this forum, that we can air views we have and some may agree, some may not...but we all keep it friendly (99% of the time!) xxx
n/a Posted - 06/10/2009 : 17:50:13
I'm not talking about just the death, although the ones I bought from the petshop I believe were electrocuted between two wet sheets according to the shop owner - I have no idea how humane that is. However, CO2 chambers can easily be used at home, so if that's an issue that rules out that reason to use mass producers. My problem is that, having rescued and owned rats from various sources, rodent farms and the likes do not keep their animals to my standards. I can't justify buying food from them any more than I can justify buying them as pets from a petshop supplied by them. I've done it because I had to and it doesn't sit well with me at all, I feel really guilty. My rats (and rescue mice) here live in large same sex cages with access to a great diet, handling, toys and everything they need to keep them healthy. I appreciate that rodent farms are not going to do this as it's not cost effective when they can cram them in tiny tubs and breed them back to back, but that doesn't make it sit well with me personally. Even putting the rodent welfare to one side (as I can tell people will think I'm "fluffy" for worrying this way), the quality of their stock is appauling, and I have had sickly live rats out of the same large establishments that breed for feeders. Covered in lice, with severe respiratory issues, scrawny from poor diet and lack of space for exercise. Do I want my snakes eating that muck long term? I imagine the quality of properly raised home bred would be much better, especially if I didn't resort to using the same space saving methods that the bigger establishments use. That's where I'm coming from, and I hope it doesn't come across as preaching as I really don't want to sound like that - anyone else can make their own decision and won't get judged one bit by me. I'm just obviously a softy!

For the record I think it's great that we can talk like this openly here.
n/a Posted - 06/10/2009 : 17:46:49
thats a very good point that me and the mrs have talked about and decieded to split the little ones in half for snakey food and the other for her to raise and sell on as pets
Jono2411 Posted - 06/10/2009 : 16:48:52
when you get them from a reputable supplier you can be assured that they are killed in the humanest way possible... CO2 chamber... id imagine it would be more humane than a home-based execution... although i think there are instructions over on the dark side on how to make a CO2 chamber for killing home-bred mice if anyone is interested... personally id rather just buy them from a shop as id probably get too attached to the mice to want to feed them to the snakies...
SexyBear77 Posted - 06/10/2009 : 16:41:26
quote:
Originally posted by KathyM

I have been considering it. To be honest it's for the same reasons as I'm looking into raising my own Xmas turkey (sadly not this year) and the likes - to ensure they're raised to my standards and are therefore quality food. I breed fancy rats for pet and show and it is impossible for me to use them because I breed quite rare varieties and need the health information on each baby, but I have a huge amount of respect for anyone who does breed their own to a high standard, keeping animals as they should be kept to ensure they have a healthy and happy life, and killing them humanely. I think the market is missing an ethical supplier of snake food to be honest - too many animals are kept in substandard conditions and overbred to feed our snakes.

Well said. I wouldnt do it myself, but I totally agree with your viewpoints.
n/a Posted - 06/10/2009 : 14:49:14
i dont wouldnt have the know how or time to do it but we do have a friend who does it thats where we get all our rep foods from at a fraction of the price free range mice wat more can snake ask for lol
n/a Posted - 06/10/2009 : 11:28:12
Nope. I have no desire to get into raising mice with everything it entails, time, expense, attention, etc. I'm quite happy to buy them frozen from the shop.
n/a Posted - 06/10/2009 : 09:02:12
I have been considering it. To be honest it's for the same reasons as I'm looking into raising my own Xmas turkey (sadly not this year) and the likes - to ensure they're raised to my standards and are therefore quality food. I breed fancy rats for pet and show and it is impossible for me to use them because I breed quite rare varieties and need the health information on each baby, but I have a huge amount of respect for anyone who does breed their own to a high standard, keeping animals as they should be kept to ensure they have a healthy and happy life, and killing them humanely. I think the market is missing an ethical supplier of snake food to be honest - too many animals are kept in substandard conditions and overbred to feed our snakes.
HannahB Posted - 06/10/2009 : 07:11:15
i dont and personally i wouldnt unless I had to do live feeding with one of my snakes.. I think GP does but I think thats because of a fussy feeder but I might be wrong there..

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000